• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK/ Twite, Redpoll, Linnet, Corn Bunting ???? (1 Viewer)

gradders52

Any other suggestions?

ID please, everyone has had a go at this.

Not my image and have no other information, just this image.

Thanks
g

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 752
We all know the two species are similar in a number of ways, but I see them more as Twite. I will admit to basing this on the fact that I see a lot of Linnets (year-round) and these just don't give me the Linnet feeling.

In case there's any confusion - these are Linnets. And to clarify why, I would say that the head (at least in ones where it can be seen clearly) is too grey. The bill also seems dark and there's no hint of the peachy tone you'd expect from a Twite.

Last edited:
The top two birds are showing grey bills!...not yellow as might be expected on Twite, also the white contrasting bar on the secondaries is another Linnet supporting feature.

cheers

I'm assuming the heavy mantle streaking is partly what is throwing people - could it be that these are a) first winter birds b) within range of adult winter plumage c) the blurriness of the photo has made it a little more difficult to pick out the key Linnet features ... ??

(Agree with Linnets, for reasons given ;) )

Not quite as clear cut as one imagined and perhaps why there was a need to clarify. As the majority vote is for Linnet, I guess I'll pass that on.
THANK YOU all for taking the time to contribute.
Any further comment welcome of course (i.e why) and perhaps answers for dantheman etc. i.e
1 first year birds?
2 winter plummage adults?
3 poor pic, no clear linnet features?
Thank You
g

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back