• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backwater Birding - Seaton, Devon (1 Viewer)

That's interesting..... The Axe Whooper disappeared sometime in mid to late winter, and the Otter bird turned up when - late June? Not sure myself..... The Axe bird was a 2nd-winter as well, any sign of anything not quite full adult in the Otter bird?

Steve,
I saw the swan in very early June, and a mate of mine had definitely seen it about a week before then, so it could have been the same bird. It could easily have been lurking somewhere else in East Devon meantime.......:-O
Terry

Good evening, managed to get up to Beer Head for 6.15 this morning - signs were good when i had a few willow warblers by the first cattle grid, then 2 wheatear on the path just past the cattle grid, the route i took was out to the look out and back along to the summit, finishing up in the hollow, this was where most of the birds seemed to be ( especially willow warblers) while looking at them i had a bird that looked different pop up right in front of me slightly larger and not moving around in the frantic ways of the willow warblers, first thing i noticed was its larger head stucture and longer thicker pale, pinkish bill.....then the alarm bells kicked in that looks like a Melodious Warbler! ( i didn't notice any white wing panels) with this it started to make a liquidy tack - tick call as it flitted around for about a minute before disappearing in the scrub and undergrowth......real shame it didn't hang around for Steve, Gav, and Ian to see as i always like a second opinion and others to verify my sightings and see the bird!........other totals from Beer head this morning were - 20+ willow warblers, 11 - 15 wheatear ( some could of been the same birds moving around) Lesser whitethroat, Blackcap, Hobby flying north, 6 Canada Geese flying east, 2 adult stonechat and 2 juv stonechat..

Hello again!! Better tell you about the birds I have seen today.

On Axe Cliff this morning 11 Willow Warblers, 2 Chiffchaff and flying over a Grey Heron (same as Steve's Beer Head one I should think) and 3 Tree Pipits.

I got Bun's message about the Melodious, but decided to stay where I was as I had the dog with me, and besides I didn't want to miss the imminent Black Stork, now did I?

I could see the local birders amassing at The Hollow on Beer Head (well four of them anyway). Can you spot who's who on these photos? ....
Probably not, they were taken from over 2 miles away!!!

Tried to find Steve's Juv. Yellow-legged Gull, but couldn't, as usual!

Late afternoon I had a look up Beer Head. I didn't venture far, saw 2 Wheatears in the Dell and then concentrated on a few bushes at the southwestern end of the Sheepwalk where it was sheltered and appeared to be a favoured spot for warblers. I saw 5 Willow Warblers a single Chiffchaff, 6 Willow/chiffs, 3 juvenile Blackcaps, a Common Whitethroat and a Lesser Whitethroat also a fox fast asleep under a bush.

Since getting home and reading up on Melodious Warblers , I think Bun's bird may still have been around while I was there because I could hear a call which sounded like a sparrow chattering. This was puzzling because there certainly didn't appear to be any sparrows about. There where however, plenty of warblers flying about that I didn't get a good look at and Melodious apparently make this sound!

Also attached picture of just an ordinary Juvenile Willow Warbler - nice yellow one though!

Attachments

• juv willow.jpg
    juv willow.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 98
  • beer head 080807.jpg
    beer head 080807.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 100
  • warbler waiting.jpg
    warbler waiting.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Hi,
Escaped tonight for the first time in ages. Thought I'd post a picture of a very obliging little chap on the post near the hide. There were also some adults and a couple of juvenile meadow pipits.
Plus a top and bottom view of a Jersey Tiger (I think?)

Chris.

Attachments

• 2007_0808Seaton_Aug_2007011.jpg
    2007_0808Seaton_Aug_2007011.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 2007_0808Seaton_Aug_2007014.jpg
    2007_0808Seaton_Aug_2007014.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 2007_0808Seaton_Aug_2007010.jpg
    2007_0808Seaton_Aug_2007010.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 58
Hi all,

Whitford update:
• Barn Owl
• Tawny Owl
• Little Owl
• Green Woodpecker and Juvenile
• 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers
• Male Pied Fly-Catcher

Good to hear one of our fellow birders, i.e, Kev has visited this part of our patch and saw the local Barn Owl.

Couple of pictures to ponder over:

Happy Birding
Simon and Sue

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 75
I could see the local birders amassing at The Hollow on Beer Head (well four of them anyway). Can you spot who's who on these photos? ....
Probably not, they were taken from over 2 miles away!!!

Laughed out loud when I opened this pic! Brilliant. Left to right: me, Ian M, Steve and Bun. I can add Garden Warbler to the Beer Head list today - one at the Summit. Sadly I had to scoot off to work. Shame - it looked good. A nice breeze with a lot of N in it often seems to produce quite well at BH. Melodious is perhaps overdue, considering the working over we've been giving BH the last couple of years, and the fact that Portland gets about 4 dozen per autumn....

This morning I took the dog for his walk up on Axe Cliff again, a lot later today, so not as many birds around, I only saw 6 Willow Warblers 2 Whitethroats and 2 Stonechats. However, there were some nice dragonflies around. A Southern Hawker (a female) I tried to get a photo but the females seem to be very difficult to approach. Also Common Darter , Golden-ringed (male), Black-tailed Skimmer (male). I've never seen one of these so far away from water before, and lastly a first for the year Migrant Hawker (female).

Seeing as it was good weather for dragonflies I popped to Bruckland for an hour at lunchtime. A Kingfisher and 2 Hobbies, catching dragonflies were the birdy highlights. Dragons and damsels consisted of the usuals with the addition of a nice Broad-bodied Chaser (female). There were stacks of Small-red eyed Damselflies and I managed to get a good close up photo of one today and also a photo of an ovipositing pair - so there are females!!!

Pictures attached:

1) Migrant Hawker
2) Broad-bodied Chaser
3) Common Darters in mating wheel
4) Small Red-eyed Damselfly
5) Small Red-eyed ovipositing

Attachments

• female migrantaxecliff.jpg
    female migrantaxecliff.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 63
  • bbchaserlbp.jpg
    bbchaserlbp.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Common dartersincop.jpg
    Common dartersincop.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 72
  • red eyed damsel close up.jpg
    red eyed damsel close up.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 70
  • small red eyes ovipositing.jpg
    small red eyes ovipositing.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 74
Three more pics from today: The Golden-ringed dragonfly (male) and another close up of Small Red-eyed incredibly not on green weed but in a tree!!! Also a Hobby, miles away I know, but you can see what it is!

Attachments

• grdaxecliff.jpg
    grdaxecliff.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 62
  • small red eyed perching.jpg
    small red eyed perching.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 63
  • hobby.jpg
    hobby.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Colyton and Seaton

At Colyton there were large flocks of young Goldfinches flying around - not charms, there were often a mix with Greenfinches.

The Starlings are nearly into their adult plumage - but look like a new species sitting on the power cables.

Aproaching the Seaton hide I saw this Red veined? darter - please correct me if wrong.

There were 6 or more Wheatears along the path to the hide. Joining them on the fence was this juvenile Meadow Pipit? - again let me know if it is something else!

Image 1 Young Starling
2 Red Veined Darter ????
3 Wheatear
4 Meadow Pipit ????

Attachments

• M8_EOS_134007.jpg
    M8_EOS_134007.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 56
  • M8_EOS_134010.jpg
    M8_EOS_134010.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 84
  • M8_EOS_134016.jpg
    M8_EOS_134016.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 68
  • M8_EOS_134030.jpg
    M8_EOS_134030.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 66
Roger - that looks like a male Ruddy Darter, a really red one too!! Notice the prominently waisted abdomen. I haven't seen a nice red one yet, I know where I'll be tomorrow. Also it looks like a Meadow Pipit to me too.

Last edited:
Lower Bruckland Lakes

It was too nice not to re-visit the lakes this morning. A good mix of Damsel/Dragonflies - just wish they were easy to identify!

If my captions don't fit - please let me know.

While there a Buzzard circled overhead - and a Kingfisher flew over the lake into a tree. There are also several Canada Geese on one lake.

Images

1 Ruddy Darter ????
2 Blue-tailed Damselfly
3 Common Blue Damselfly
4 Buzzard
5 Emporer

Attachments

• M8_EOS_134046.jpg
    M8_EOS_134046.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 64
  • M8_EOS_134050.jpg
    M8_EOS_134050.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 73
  • M8_EOS_134054.jpg
    M8_EOS_134054.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 75
  • M8_EOS_134059.jpg
    M8_EOS_134059.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 81
  • M8_EOS_134077e.jpg
    M8_EOS_134077e.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 73
Early start at work this morning so didn't get round for a look around Beer Head until 18.00 this evening staying up there until 20.15, surprisingly quite a few birds still knocking about - 16 willow warbler, 4 chiffs, 14 wheatear, 3 whitethroat, 3 blackcap and 9 stonechat ( mostly juvs) also 8 grey heron flying S/W out over the sea......and the Napoli on the move at last!

Ringing on Colyford this morning, didn't catch much.....although still some nice highlights; an adult female Cetti's Warbler, a Kingfisher (retrap) a Wood Pigeon, and the best - a Stonechat (juv). Waiting for Frazer to upload some photos he took with his smart new set-up!!!! On the scrape were the usual 4 Dunlin, 1 Ringed Plover, 1 Blackwit, 2 Green Sands and 5+ Snipe. Also saw single Broad-bodied Chaser, Migrant Hawker and Jersey Tiger.

Feel totally shattered so I can't see me waking up early in the morning!

On the river this morning were 6 Ringed Plover, 10 Dunlin (including 1 juv with a metal ring on its right leg - which it acquired yesterday!), 10 Common Sands and a first for the Axe for me, a Common Gull - a gorgeous juvenile one! Never ever seen one of this age on this river before, they are actually surprisingly rare....why?

On Colyford 3 Green Sands.

Right, back to work.........

Your number one is a Common Darter, Roger. Great Emperor Flight shot!!

Karen - don't know what happened to my first reply ....

Thanks for correcting my Darter IDs. The Ruddy Darter at Seaton was brilliant red, especially as it chose a dead twig to pose on.

It was great fun trying for the aerial shots at Bruckland ..... Luckily the Emporer did a slow pass which resulted in some useable images;others were more 'artistic'. However, they did show how tattered the back wings of one dragonfly were - and it was still very agile.

Can you help with two more images.

The first was at Bruckland - a recently emerged Common Blue?
next - from a friend in Fleet (Hants) - a Migrant Hawker ?
last a rather tattered Emporer at Bruckland

Attachments

• M8_EOS_134057.jpg
    M8_EOS_134057.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 59
  • M8_Dragonfly_BC.jpg
    M8_Dragonfly_BC.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 66
  • M8_EOS_134089.jpg
    M8_EOS_134089.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 60
Sorry no birds today.|:(|

Quick dog walk at Kilmington (swan field) where I saw this superb male Broad-bodied Chaser, also a female and 2 Southern Hawkers. I took a pic of this Silver-Y Moth and certainly didn’t catch his best side, uugghh!! And yes, dog got covered in cow poo again!! Double uugghh!!!

Roger - No idea on first could be a newly emerged anything?? Two looks like a Migrant Hawker to me.

Attachments

• bbc.jpg
    bbc.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 55
  • silver y.jpg
    silver y.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 58
I know it should be a good thing that it has gone but do any of you guys and gals somehow miss the Napoli? Does the sea look strangely empty?

I know it should be a good thing that it has gone but do any of you guys and gals somehow miss the Napoli? Does the sea look strangely empty?

Not as empty as it might - the back end is still loitering offshore! Though I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get anything like as good a showing of gulls next winter without it...

My 'Napoli' gen is bang up-to-date, as I enjoyed a very pleasant couple of hours up Beer Head first thing with Bun, Phil and Clive. Apart from a brief and abortive Melodious twitch a few days back this was my first jaunt up there this autumn. Despite a conspicuous lack of Wheatears and Willow Warblers in the calm and sunny conditions, it was still rather productive, with much of the activity centred around the 'Dotterel Field', W of the old lookout. This currently houses a barley crop which, judging from the bird activity, is presumably unsprayed. Top of the list were 3 Dartford Warblers, with a supporting cast of 2 Whinchats, 14 Stonechats, a Whitethroat, at least 4 Sedge Warblers and 2 fly-over Greenshank. Several hirundines trickled W.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back