• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

J. VanHoesen prints!!! (1 Viewer)

pefferlaw

Hello everyone!!! I am new here and hope someone can help. I purchased a set of 5 framed wildlife prints all signed and dated in pencil by J.VanHoesen 1980. They are copywrited so someone must have heard of this artist. I can not find out anything about him/her or their other artwork.

Has anyone heard of this person or know anything about them?

I would appreciate any information.

Larry in Pefferlaw, Ontario, Canada

Hi Larry and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

I'm going to go ahead and move your thread to the 'Wildlife Art Section' as you will most likely get some answers from the very knowledgeable artists there ;)

Still Searching!!!!!

I am still hoping for a response from anyone !!

Hello everyone!!! I am new here and hope someone can help. I purchased a set of 5 framed wildlife prints all signed and dated in pencil by J.VanHoesen 1980. They are copywrited so someone must have heard of this artist. I can not find out anything about him/her or their other artwork.

Sorry Larry, I looked through all my resources when you first posted with no luck. I suspect that's the story regarding most other contributors to this forum; when we know something we like to tell! Keep searching. Maybe post a couple of images - that may jog a memory or two. ?
Good luck.

Sorry Larry, I looked through all my resources when you first posted with no luck. I suspect that's the story regarding most other contributors to this forum; when we know something we like to tell! Keep searching. Maybe post a couple of images - that may jog a memory or two. ?
Good luck.

I like these little challenge

there's

jan van hoesen : taxidermist (a source of bobcat ear liners if you find yourself running out..)

beth van hoesen : some quite interesting bird and animal paintings

Jack lived in Alaska in the 70s, at least ... I bought a large oil painting of his in Ketchikan during one of his shows there that was sponsored by Scanlon Galleries, which still exists ... painting features a brown bear rousing a ground squirrel ... still have and enjoy it ... Jack passed through Calif. c 1977-78 en route to Southwest to marry and last I heard they did move to Montana.

Jack lived in Alaska in the 70s, at least ... I bought a large oil painting of his in Ketchikan during one of his shows there that was sponsored by Scanlon Galleries, which still exists ... painting features a brown bear rousing a ground squirrel ... still have and enjoy it ... Jack passed through Calif. c 1977-78 en route to Southwest to marry and last I heard they did move to Montana.

Interesting thread, now - any chance of an upload of the bear and squirrel painting, please?

re Jack Van Hoesen prints 2011 post

Hello Larry, I happened across this post from 2011 and wondered if you had ever found what you were looking for. I have some info which may or may not be helpful, as now some time has passed. Let me know if you'd like, and I will share.

–CamGraph

I met him in Haines, Alaska. He is a fabulous artist. Unfortunately, he has passed away.

J. VanHoesen art

I too have purchased some of J. VanHoesen's art. I have an old pamphlet that came with my purchases. Jack VanHoesen was born in rural Michigan and moved to Alaska in 1969. His work is primarily in oils, acrylics and ink. His work was sold through J&H Sales, in Portland Oregon, at one time. His summer studio was the ART SHOP on the waterfront, POrt Chilkoot-Haines, Alaska . I have an address of PO Box 323 Haines, Alaska 99827. Hope this helps in your search.

J Vanhoesen

I have collected a couple of his pieces
1 is a blanket dancer
The other is a crow on top of a totem pole
I also have a print of an eagle
I'm interested in any other original pieces of his.

I did visit Haines last year
Saw the art studio he used.
Talked to some people at the lumber yard next door who knew him.
Yes he moved to Montana , somewhere near Billings
He is definitely gone now.

LanceCrane you indicated you have a J.Van Hoesen 1981 Eagle print. I recently acquired one and wonder if it's the same as what you already have. Most probably an Alaskan scene, lots of blue color, plenty of snow and ice with mountains in the background and a large mature eagle in flight in the foreground. Signed 429 / 950

I knew Jack when he taught school in Anchorage in the mid-1970s. From there he moved to Haines to set up his tiny gallery opposite the pier where ships docked -- mentioned in one of the posts. After Haines he moved on to -- I think it was Belgrade, Montana where he opened a studio. That's where I lost contact with him.

J Vanhoesen

I have collected a couple of his pieces
1 is a blanket dancer
The other is a crow on top of a totem pole
I also have a print of an eagle
I'm interested in any other original pieces of his.

I did visit Haines last year
Saw the art studio he used.
Talked to some people at the lumber yard next door who knew him.
Yes he moved to Montana , somewhere near Billings
He is definitely gone now.
Lancecrane - I have a print of his as well. It's a blanket dancer 6/125. It's ink or charcoal?? Most of the little bit of searching I have done I've seen color. I'm still wondering how prevalent his work is and what value there is to his work. I didn't purchase this. It belonged to my grandfather. Steve W

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back