• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long lense for EOS M5! (1 Viewer)

flossiepip

Hi,
My Olympus E-M5 has just stopped on me and I am looking at the M5 but rather confused over lenses! With the E-M5 my 300 lens gives me a focal length of 600 I believe, so can anyone tell me what canon lens would give me that reach on the M5? I don't think there is an M lens but I understand with a canon adapter EF and EF-S lenses can be used!

The Canon Eos M5 has a Canon APS-c sensor with a crop factor of 1.6x, so if you want a reach of 600mm, you'll need a 400mm lens, with a 640mm reach. Canon offer several lenses at this focal length, from the EF 400mm F/5.6L to the heavyweights with an F/2.8 aperture, or there's the 400mm DO with an F/4 aperture.

Hi,
My Olympus E-M5 has just stopped on me and I am looking at the M5 but rather confused over lenses! With the E-M5 my 300 lens gives me a focal length of 600 I believe, so can anyone tell me what canon lens would give me that reach on the M5? I don't think there is an M lens but I understand with a canon adapter EF and EF-S lenses can be used!

The above post is correct but i took it you are talking field of view,so as was already stated you will need about a 400mm lens to give you the 600mm FOV.

Sorry for a confusing post I sm the least technology minded person who holds a camera, I just point, twist and press and marvel if it all works! I was just of the believe that is was the sixe of the sensor in the camera that dictates that reach of the lens's so I've always felt that with my EM5 I got twice the reach as against a full sized sensor and that was why a compact super zoom camera with a tiny sensor could zoom out so far. As I say I have no technical knowledge and apologise for a confused question.

Sorry for a confusing post I sm the least technology minded person who holds a camera, I just point, twist and press and marvel if it all works! I was just of the believe that is was the sixe of the sensor in the camera that dictates that reach of the lens's so I've always felt that with my EM5 I got twice the reach as against a full sized sensor and that was why a compact super zoom camera with a tiny sensor could zoom out so far. As I say I have no technical knowledge and apologise for a confused question.

You are quite correct, the Olympus EM5 uses a sensor that is half the size of a full frame, so a 300mm lens will be comparable to the 600mm full frame lens in reach.
Confusion arises because the Canon EOS M5 uses a larger sensor, so the reach is not doubled, but only about 50% more. That is why Malcolm Stewart was suggesting a 400mm Canon lens to get the 600mm reach equivalent you had with your Olympus.
Hope this helps, the camera producers have about as murky a set of product names and component conventions as the toothpaste industry.

Sorry to be a pedant, but sensor size has nothing to do with reach of a lens, only the proportion of the image that is used.

The higher pixel density on smaller sensors compared to some full frame sensors can lead to this illusion of better reach.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back