• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OK ... deep breath! These are my efforts (2 Viewers)

I think it has all been said, but these are wonderful!
I am so in love with your line work. And the colors are superb.
Very original--that is, if I ever see a piece of yours hanging in a gallery, I will immediately know it is one of yours(before looking at the name tag)!
I can't wait to see more!
So what are you enjoying using most to create these little masters?

Best
Beth

Wow! Fabulous pics Deborah :t:

They're all superb but I especially love the Harrier and the Seal pics :king:

Can't wait to see more!

Lovely portfolio, Deborah - the seals do it for me (for more than the obvious reasons) - beautifully crafted little study. An absolute delight.

Hi Deborah

Love your artwork it is beautiful :t:

Pintail, Heron and Greenies are lovely. To be honest, I love all what you have done here. It is hard to choose, really it is!! :t:

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Peewit

Hi Deborah from someone who still hasnt got myself out there to draw but still prefer the speed of my camera I am deeply envious of your work! Your anatomical precision is very accurate. Love the pintails. They just jump from the page, lovely! I love the lose flowing colours of the wigeon too as that is my kind of style. Very well done. Keep up the excellent work :t:

Hi Deborah, your pictures are wonderful. :eek!: :t: :-O Some of us can't even draw a straight line (me), let alone draw.

Golly Moses! I'm stunned at the lovely responses and encouragement from all of you:eek!: I've not really ''shared'' any sketches/painting with anyone since leaving art college many years ago (which wasn't a great experience for me tbh, I just wasn't 'trendy' enough) so it was a bit nerve racking posting stuff here and I needed several gentle shoves in the right direction. THANK YOU ALL so much at the risk of sounding too fluffy!

Birdpotter: Just a soft Pencil (usually the first that comes to hand) is my favourite (never change thickness just use pressure to alter darkness and thickness of line, if that makes sense - can't be bothered to flap around with a gammut of ''B''s !)

As some have commented, I love colour - can't really explain but I think it's more the mixing of it and finding complimentary colours rather than actually using it LOL - I really want to get better at watercolours as the Post-Impressionists were very inspirational for me in their use of natural light - which water colours do for me - well they do for people like Nick and Tim, so I toil in hope - well that's it really ... no more waffling - other than to say, many thanks again, especially those who don't normally frequent the Art Forum!

Just a couple more on the spot sketches - will get round to uploading some ''finished'' stuff in due course - will have to dig out my old folders and scan some (or do some new ones ... one day ....;) )

Attachments

• carrion crow.JPG
    carrion crow.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Herring gull1.JPG
    Herring gull1.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 104
  • herring gull sketches.JPG
    herring gull sketches.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I particularly find the strong simple outlines on the herring gulls excellent.

Agree

This is just the sort of thing I'm trying to do myself, if I can get down a similar basic outline and fill in some rough details it would help with my wader ID's no end.

It's the bare minimum required of any worthwhile fieldnotes IMO

...nice work D

Matt

Agree

This is just the sort of thing I'm trying to do myself, if I can get down a similar basic outline and fill in some rough details it would help with my wader ID's no end.

It's the bare minimum required of any worthwhile fieldnotes IMO

...nice work D

Matt

NOW I know why the other day I had the sudden desire to download Pearl Jam's 'Given to Fly', your signature must have subconciously got into my head. In any case, a great song and one that's been missing from my collection for a long time.:t:

NOW I know why the other day I had the sudden desire to download Pearl Jam's 'Given to Fly', your signature must have subconciously got into my head. In any case, a great song and one that's been missing from my collection for a long time.:t:

LOL

A great song from a great album!, and with beautiful lyrics.

Matt

Not sure people will like this, I don't particularly! Anyway, just thought I'd upload it to go with other HG sketches - taken from fieldnotes & dismal day on seafront

Attachments

• hg flight.JPG
    hg flight.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Not sure people will like this, I don't particularly! Anyway, just thought I'd upload it to go with other HG sketches - taken from fieldnotes & dismal day on seafront

Stylisticly, this one reminds me of those picture postcards you get at seaside resorts (thats a compliment btw!)..It's jolly and I like it!!

Wouldn't mind seeing a full size scan of your porridge stained Blackbird;) that you use as your avatar.

Matt

Last edited:
compositionally, it looks like several pictures pasted together. I love the atmosphere in it, and the top left gull in flight is a beauty on its own. Personally, I'd concentrate either on the flying gulls, or the ones on the ground, and in particular that one gull that is a gem!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back