• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sketches from Andrew Ellis (1 Viewer)

Hi Andrew, been away for a fortnight and am now trying to catch up on the threads here, I must say your recent work is truly exceptional. The flight sketches of both Hobby and Swifts are pure class, a master draughtsman at work...
The Peregrine plates are truly very special indeed and reflect your deep understanding of the birds. Utterly absorbing to view these.
A special mention for the flash paintings, of which the Avocets is stand out for me....

Just a little update , Went round to my mates Dave Scott the other day to see two fledgling Kingfishers he has rescued. Here are some sketches of them.you can catch the whole story on my blog.

Attachments

• kingfisher-sketches002.jpg
    kingfisher-sketches002.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 89
  • kingfisher-sketches003.jpg
    kingfisher-sketches003.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 92
  • young-kingfishers3.jpg
    young-kingfishers3.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Lovely sketches of great birds. Kingfishers have to be one of my favourites, they're so sculptural around the head and you've captured that with your usual aplomb.

Mike

Lovely sketches of great birds. Kingfishers have to be one of my favourites, they're so sculptural around the head and you've captured that with your usual aplomb.

Mike

Have to agree about the sketches as well as the appeal of Kingfishers. They are just so striking. Oddly enough our Belted Kingfishers have been quite scarce so far this spring and summer. I've never seen them so scarce before.

excellent work - balance is so hard to get right with kingfishers - and I'm especially critical of the species as I was forced to grow up in a house with hideous lifeless reproductions of them on the hall wall. Yours I'm pleased to say are stunningly electric with life.

Thanks Lads for the votes of confidence.Nick , I hope that the parents walls are now decorated with your completely gorgeous and dynamic works as they should be and the thought of any of my work ever ending up on wall paper gives me the shudders!!! how about you guy's? Although funnily enough I did once see some beautiful wallpaper at someones house with Gould's bird illustrations as the patterning . It was very stylish actually!

Andy, these Kingfisher studies are examples of the some of the best drawing I've had the pleasure to see. Everything about them is so right. I'll look out for your stand at the Birdfair if you're going to be there.

Russ

just a treasure those kingfisher sketches...how nice you could have time to see and draw...captives have their place in my heart for being able to get close and really see.

Here is a little Film I put together of pieces that will be featured in an ongoing show at the Halcyon Gallery in London, from the 7th Aug 2010http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIZ9OLCTPmM

It just needs a space between he '2010' and the address.
Good luck with the exhibition (not needed) and please keep us posted.

Fantastic stuff Andy. I would get myself down to the gallery for a look but I don't think they'd let me in wearing my camo shorts and scrappy t-shirt!

Best of luck with the exhibition though. (Simon too.)

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back