• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2017 (1 Viewer)

It doesn't have anything to do the the 2017 Big Year (yet), but Neil Hayward and Laura Keene got the Tamaulipas Crow at the Brownsville Dump.

Joe

The Deans got Tamaulipas Crow this morning; Yve got it a couple of days ago.
Yve: 745+4
Ruben & Victor: 744+3
Gaylee: 729+3
Richard: 727+3

Joe

Here are my updated sheets for the Continental ABA Region. It'll take a bit before I have the new one ready.
However, now the provisionals are removed from the 2016 lists. The official record is John Weigel's 783, followed by Olaf Danielson at 778, Laura Keene at 762 and Christian Hagenlocher at 752.
I need to put the species into the new sequence, but that will happen after I do the New ABA sheet.

Joe

Attachments

• ContinentalBigYears2017.xlsx
    106.9 KB · Views: 36
  • ContinentalBigYears2017ByCode.xlsx
    596 KB · Views: 20
Here are my updated sheets for the Continental ABA Region. It'll take a bit before I have the new one ready.
However, now the provisionals are removed from the 2016 lists. The official record is John Weigel's 783, followed by Olaf Danielson at 778, Laura Keene at 762 and Christian Hagenlocher at 752.
I need to put the species into the new sequence, but that will happen after I do the New ABA sheet.

Joe

Joe

Those spreadsheets are fascinating - much appreciated.

On a pretty rough and ready 'like for like' basis, I would go best totals as:-
John Weigel (2016)
Olaf Danielson (2016)
Sandy Komito (1998)
Laura Keene (2016)
Sandy Komito (1987)

Those Komito lists are extraordinary given the difference in technology and information currently available.

All the best

Last edited:
The new checklist is interesting in that, currently, there are something like 6 code 3 introduced species (not just Hawaii, but also the Himalayan Snowcock now counts as this). Prior to this update I don't believe there were any exotics in that category.

Also quite a few resident breeding birds have been elevated to code 3. There were a few birds before (Gray-cheeked Chickadee for instance), but not only do you have a lot of Hawaiian songbirds which are just plain difficult to access, but a few others like Colima Warbler and Common Ringed Plover are now categorized this way.

Colima is still a 1 (why not a 2?).
The Stolls photographed a Pechora Pipit on Gambell but only recently got independent confirmation of the sighting, so that's added to their list.

Okay, start the drum roll, as the next post is the one you've been waiting for! (well, not the MOST anticipated post; that'll be when ABA decides whether the 2016 birders are eligible to add in their Hawaiian birds; I don't know the answer to that one...)

Joe

Okay, the species lists have been confirmed by all the birders. Have at it!

Joe

Attachments

• NewABABigYears2017.xlsx
    71.8 KB · Views: 42
Meister,
You're right; good catch! I'll email my ABA contact (as I have with the other glitches). I wonder if they wanted a different grouse to get bumped up to a 3, also.

Joe

Okay, the species lists have been confirmed by all the birders. Have at it!

Joe

Very many thanks.

So:-

Olaf - 829 with 8 unique species over John
Newell's Shearwater (3)
Siberian Rubythroat (3)
Tinidade Petrel (3)
Hawfinch (4)
Great Knot (4)
Yellow Grosbeak (4)
Yellow-faced Grassquit (4)
Marsh Sandpiper (5)

John - 835 with 14 unique species over Olaf
Red Avadavat (2)
Smew (3)
Chestnut-bellied Sandgrouse (3)
Common Sandpiper (3)
Greater Necklaced Laughingthrush (3)
Maui Parrotbill (3)
Long-toed Stint (3)
Hawaiian Petrel (3)
Whooper Swan (3)
Gray-headed Chickadee (3)
Kelp Gull (4)
Graylag Goose (5)
Cuban Vireo (5)
Pin-tailed Snipe (5)

I still can't believe that they accepted the Graylag Goose!!

All the best

Sorry for spamming the forum (well, no, I'm not sorry) but if you'd like to keep an historical record of the old codes here's you're last chance, as I've started to revise these with the current codes and species order. These two lists will not be updated, but I'm keeping them in my files.

Joe

Attachments

• ContinentalBigYearByCode2016codes.xlsx
    595.8 KB · Views: 9
  • ContinentalBigYears2016codes.xlsx
    106.7 KB · Views: 14
I've had a quick glance at the new ABA list, but I wonder: Is there also a list that tracks all the changes made? Or a list that reflects on the decisions which Hawaii exotics were added and which not?

Maffong

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back