• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redstarts, Gansu/China, 08/2006 (1 Viewer)

Sangahyando

Germany
I had initially put these down as Black Redstart (Phoenicurus ochruros rufiventris), but looking at the images again, and comparing them to the BF gallery and the pictures at the Oriental Bird Images site, I'm not so sure. The crown seems awfully bright for that species, even taking into account the strong light, and in one picture (unfortunately the worst one), one specimen shows a white wing patch. I think the chief reason, other than habitat, why I didn't list them as Daurian Redstart is because the Daurians I'd seen before had really well-marked wing patches. Not sure if Hodgson's is an option. Or is the pattern variation within the range of Black Redstart after all?

The location was Bingling Si (a UNESCO cultural heritage site in southern Gansu); the habitat is a narrow valley between rock formations close to the Yellow River at ca. 1750m ASL (the nearby Liujiaxia reservoir is at ~1735m), with some groves of willows etc., a mostly dried out creek, some buildings, and lots of shrub and rocks. Among the other species I've seen there were Common Swift, Crag Martin, Grey-capped Greenfinch, Himalayan Griffon, Rock and Hill Pigeons, Chestnut Thrush, Japanese Tit, and Brown (?) Shrike.

All of the pictures were cropped, two of them (the terrible ones) were taken by me and the others by a fellow traveller (which explains the different quality and divergent exif data). Unfortunately, I don't have any others that show a clearer side or dorsal view.

As alway, feedback is much appreciated.

- Andy

Attachments

• CIMG1558 Bingling Si - Kopie.JPG
    CIMG1558 Bingling Si - Kopie.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 36
  • CIMG1577 Bingling Si 2.JPG
    CIMG1577 Bingling Si 2.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 38
  • dsc_1973 - Kopie.jpg
    dsc_1973 - Kopie.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 51
  • dsc_1975 - Kopie.jpg
    dsc_1975 - Kopie.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Male Hodgson's Redstart.

'Eastern' Black Redstart lacks white in the wing. Daurian has more extensive/solid white in wing and black throat which does not extend onto the breast.

Grahame

Last edited:
Thanks a lot :t: So it seems like I've got another "stealth lifer" there, as I hadn't encountered Hodgson's Redstart before, or since.
Anyone else agree/disagree?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back