• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope advice needed in $1500 range (2 Viewers)

Just saw this thread, and want to take the opportunity to thank Clark, Mooreorless and Mayoayo for their kind recommendations of me and my scope. I wouldn't dream of parting with it were it not for the fact that I hardly go birding anymore. Super Dave...it really is my favourite all-time scope, but I think shipping and duties would make it an impractical proposition from the US. But if you find one at a good price Stateside, I'd strongly recommend you consider it. The two potential downsides, depending on preference, are the 'rolling ball' at low power, and the rather stiff case that rubs off the helical focusser. (I never use stay-on cases anyway). Thanks again guys.

I wanted to post this last week but I couldn't find my password. Sorry if it's too late to help the OP.

I can't imagine a better deal than this Meopta-made scope from Cabelas. It's the S2 with a NON-removable 20-70 eyepiece. For a $1,500 budget, how can you beat it?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...t-euro-hd-spotting-scope/1575211.uts?slotId=3

P.S. It's no Kowa, but it is half the price. And it doesn't have the 30-60 like Sancho's (and mine) but I HAD to mention Cabela's sale so that at least someone here could snap one up.

Last edited:
I wanted to post this last week but I couldn't find my password. Sorry if it's too late to help the OP.

I can't imagine a better deal than this Meopta-made scope from Cabelas. It's the S2 with a NON-removable 20-70 eyepiece. For a $1,500 budget, how can you beat it?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...t-euro-hd-spotting-scope/1575211.uts?slotId=3

P.S. It's no Kowa, but it is half the price. And it doesn't have the 30-60 like Sancho's (and mine) but I HAD to mention Cabela's sale so that at least someone here could snap one up.

That is a fantastic deal and OP should have a look. Why can't the ep be removed? (Not that it matters, I don't think there are any others available apart from the two zooms)

Hello Sancho,

Whats the price you are asking for your S2? Sending to Barcelona, Spain, should be easier, I presume...

Thank you!

PHA

Thanks for the input guys. Cabelas did have some great deals. I purchased the Kowa and got a very nice discount from a US retailer. The 1.6x extender was the the deal closer for me. It should be here Friday.
Thanks,
Dave

Thanks for the input guys. Cabelas did have some great deals. I purchased the Kowa and got a very nice discount from a US retailer. The 1.6x extender was the the deal closer for me. It should be here Friday.
Thanks,
Dave

Congratulations on your new scope - have fun with it.

Joachim

Wow! What a difference. I picked up the Kowa today and there is no comparison to the Nikon.

The sun was coming up in the direction I was looking so that makes things washed out. The color comparison from Nikon to Kowa is drastic. The Nikon view was drab but the Kowa was still vivid. I could pick out a lot more details with the Kowa. And, that zoom eyepiece is impressive. The whole package oozes quality.

The overall viewing experience is WOW level. Awesome.

Thanks for a great forum to hash out all the details of the different products. I'm going to be happy with this one for a long time.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_4435.JPG
    IMG_4435.JPG
    471.5 KB · Views: 104
Congrats on new scope...there are few things more satisfying long-term in life, than new optics or new bicycles;). As a matter of interest, what model was your old Nikon scope? If it doesn't say on the scope, can you post a photo?

Also....bloody hell...that beach-front deck...do you live there? Can I be your Butler?

Hi,

It's the Kowa 883 with 25-60 wide angle zoom. The Kowa is much heavier than the Nikon PROSTAFF 5 Fieldscope (20-60x82mm).

Yep, that's my lanai. I live on Kaneohe Bay across from the Marine Base.

I was looking at a stop sign at the Marine base 2 miles or 3.2 km away. I can read the sign when it is in the middle of the field of view. But, if I move the sign outside the middle...towards the edge (but not far edge) then "STOP" become blurry. I have to adjust the focus slightly to read "STOP" again. So the focus is different for the sweet spot in the middle and outside that sweet spot. I'm curious if that is normal?

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_6076.JPG
    IMG_6076.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6075.JPG
    IMG_6075.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 61
Thanks for the further info. I thought you were going for the 663M. My understanding of the various reviews is that the 883 is generally regarded as the best spotting available at the moment. I am afraid I cannot help you with why the focus needs to be adjusted for things on the edge of the FOV. Best leave that to peeps who know what they are talking about.

SuperDave, post 33,
That is a quite common optical aberration in which the focus from center to edge is on the surface of a sphere. By using a special optical construction (flat field optics) that can be eleminated, but that is more expensive.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks guys. I'm glad to hear that the center / edge focus is normal.

I'm very satisfied with the scope. I'm waiting for the 1.6x extender and need to order a phone holder so I can get some photos. Have a good weekend,
Dave

Hi,

I agree that this effect is normal for a fast refractor without correcting elements but it is certainly not spherical aberration or SA but field curvature or FC. The former would be a flawed instrument, the latter is normal and its radius is around 1/3 of the focal length for most two and three lens objective designs.

Joachim

Hi Joachim,

Say what? You went way too deep for me to understand.

Can you translate for my simple mind? Do you think my Kowa is acting normal? (YES/NO) :)

Thanks
Dave

PS. The 1.6X extender came in today and the max zoom is very impressive. I'm so impressed with Kowa.

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

the effect you see is normal and called field curvature (FC). It could be corrected with extra elements in the body or the eyepiece but isn't in this instrument.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back