• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young shrike - Eastern Saudi Arabia (1 Viewer)

AJDH

England
I photographed this young shrike this morning but I'm having difficulties pinning it down. This is the best image I have as it has been very overcast and raining today.

Attachments

• AJ0_3070_A4.jpg
    AJ0_3070_A4.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 202
lou salomon said:
looks like turkestan shrike (lanius phoenicuroides) to me.
That would be isabelline would it not. The length of the tail was throwing me as I didn't think it long enough.

Isabelline Shrike Lanius phoenicuroides? There has been a lot of debate recently which I didnt participate, but surely some other people are eager to inform you better about it. I find my solution not straightforward.

gerdwichers8 said:
Isabelline Shrike Lanius phoenicuroides? There has been a lot of debate recently which I didnt participate, but surely some other people are eager to inform you better about it. I find my solution not straightforward.
I did offer the image to a local expert who scratched his chin, said "interesting", went back to his beer and suggested I post the picture here. These young birds are a devil to identify.

Hey, that's a coincidence! I am often not as much priviliged to see such stunning views as Adrian provides us with and while birding in the field a lot of shrikes are seen more far off.
So even encountering some distant shrike sp. with obvious rufous tails (even far off obviously noticed) like some posible Red Backed Shrikes were not always eliminated, I called them 'Rufous tailed Shrikes'
Wonderfully no severe, negative critic was with me at the time..because now I find, not even a term like 'Rufous tailed' leaves some space for other Shrike sp.

JANJ said:
I´d say 1st winter Isabelline phoenicuroides on this Adrian.

JanJ
HI Adrian,

It's not often that we meet up on this one, but I thought I'd come in on, ahem, slightly safer ground than some of the other challenges you've given us (and that's saying something!) and agree with the 1st winter Isabelline phoenicuroides groundswell.

Great photo as usual.

I think I'll stick to Submariner ident, in general !

All the best, Nick

Caulkhead said:
HI Adrian,

It's not often that we meet up on this one, but I thought I'd come in on, ahem, slightly safer ground than some of the other challenges you've given us (and that's saying something!) and agree with the 1st winter Isabelline phoenicuroides groundswell.

Great photo as usual.

I think I'll stick to Submariner ident, in general !

All the best, Nick
Thanks Nick.........................trust you to come in on safer ground. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back