• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some California birds for ID (1 Viewer)

nbalblas

I'm stuck on these feathered friends... Anyone else an idea?

Attachments

• DSCN5237.jpg
    DSCN5237.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN5444.jpg
    DSCN5444.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN5070.jpg
    DSCN5070.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN5991.jpg
    DSCN5991.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 64
I can see why you are stuck with these, but here are some suggestions.
1) Female/young Brewer's Blackbirds.
2) Anna's Hummingbird.
3) Western Gull.
4) ????

That's a very good one Andrew, thanks! If I remember correctly, there indeed were some RW-blackbirds present.

4. Red-winged Blackbird

I can understand that suggestion, and it may be right. Red-winged Blackbirds in most of California are significantly darker than those in other parts of the country, however, and this bird seems very pale for a Californian of that species.

We have seen hundreds of this species and there is quite a colour variation, even within a flock, so I'm still with RWB but if you or anyone else has a better fitting ID, please let me/us know!

We have seen hundreds of this species and there is quite a colour variation, even within a flock, so I'm still with RWB but if you or anyone else has a better fitting ID, please let me/us know!

When was it taken? Perhaps a wintering nominate subspecies bird from outside of California?
(though the vegetation looks summery, so maybe unlikely!!)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back