• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identifying A Bird Wing (1 Viewer)

Tefeari

Identifying A Bird Wing (Pictures Included)

Now this may sound like I found a bird wing but I assure you all I haven’t lol.

It’s actually in relation to a possible research project I am working on: “Fractal Analysis of Avian Anatomical Structures”.

TRANSLATION: I'm seeing if mathematical formulas can duplicate any features of a bird.

Working from some ideas I've found around the net I've been able to create something that loosely resembles a bird wing.

However, I'd like help in identifying what kind/family/species of bird the wing currently resembles (in either shape or feathering structure) so that I may see if it is possible to fine tune any further.

Below is a small and large (for more detail) image of the wing, I have colored it to make the details more visible (disregard color in identification), also feel free to disregard parts of the wing length and the scraps of details/”stuff” that are scattered around it or obviously not part of a wing. If it doesn't resemble anything at all, the "Closest" will work.

Bird Wing (Smaller)
Bird Wing (Small)
Bird Wing (Large) - For more Detail

Thank you all for your help,
David

Last edited:
Relatively few birds have such strikingly long, slender wings. The shape (kind' of!) reminds of a swift, though others could very well have a better suggestion.

Last edited:
Thanks Rasmus,

It did seem a bit long to me, however, you may dismiss parts of the wing length (or slenderness) if it allows you to better match the rest.

First off, if you look at the larger versions, feathers are visible. This does not mean they will be any accurate; I was mostly going for a wing like shape in this.

Secondly, this is not supposed to be amazingly accurate in any fashion right now, it is a first attempt.

The idea of duplicating both the feather patterns and the wing shape of a bird in a single fractal is near "ludicrous".

Remember, a wing is very complex, and this is simply a mathematical equation. It’s doubtful that a single equation of any reasonable complexity could define an entire wing.

I'm merely looking for similarities of any fashion between this fractal and actual bird wings. From there I may adjust them further and perhaps have something that approximates an avian feature.

Try not to approach me with unnecessary hostility.

Last edited:
Tefeari, changing mathematical formulae into graphics is well above me. The following site may give you some further ideas as to relevant shapes you may wish to strive towards in your future attempts.

:-http://www.ups.edu/biology/museum/wingphotos.html

Best wishes. Let us know how you are progressing.

Regards

Malky.

I've seen that site. It would be more useful if someone could identify offhand similar features as opposed to me looking through hundreds of pictures for anything related.

Last edited:
Hi David

I'd agree with Rasmus that it looks most like a swift's wing, perhaps
something like an African Palm Swift.

However, in saying that, you have to concentrate on the main body of the
wing and ignore the "plumes" that come out from the leading edge of the wing.
I don't think that any bird has anything like those - they would be a real
bu---r to fly with!

Pete

Where may I find pictures of the swift wings? The selection on the one site Alcedo gave is limited.

African Palm Swifts seem to be especially hard to find pictures of...

Hi David

I'm not sure where you will find photos of them but any of the
southern African field guides* will have quite reasonable representations
of them in flight. I suggested the palm swift because it seems to have
longer and more slender wings than many of the other swifts.

Pete

Ken Newman "Birds of southern Africa"
Ian Sinclair, "SASOL Birds of southern Africa"
etc

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back