• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Salt Lake City in the snow (1 Viewer)

JeffMoh

Did a little casual birding in Salt Lake City on the weekend. No time for a trip to one of the good sites, unfortunately. Birding in snow was a great change from birding in Houston. Didn't see anything very exciting, except a group of 60+ California Quail in one neighborhood and a lot of Northern Flickers.

Pied-billed grebe
Common merganser
American coot
American wigeon
Northern shoveler
Mallard
Canada goose
California gull
American kestrel
Black-billed magpie
Red-winged blackbird
Rock dove
Mourning dove
House sparrow
House Finch
American goldfinch
European starling
American robin
Mountain bluebird
Western scrub-jay
Killdeer
Northern mockingbird
Northern flicker
Dark-eyed junco
Yellow-rumped warbler
Cedar waxwing

Two kinds of quail

JeffMoh said:
Did a little casual birding in Salt Lake City on the weekend. No time for a trip to one of the good sites, unfortunately. Birding in snow was a great change from birding in Houston. Didn't see anything very exciting, except a group of 60+ California Quail in one neighborhood and a lot of Northern Flickers.

Pied-billed grebe
Common merganser
American coot
American wigeon
Northern shoveler
Mallard
Canada goose
California gull
American kestrel
Black-billed magpie
Red-winged blackbird
Rock dove
Mourning dove
House sparrow
House Finch
American goldfinch
European starling
American robin
Mountain bluebird
Western scrub-jay
Killdeer
Northern mockingbird
Northern flicker
Dark-eyed junco
Yellow-rumped warbler
Cedar waxwing

Looking at the video I shot of the quail, I now realize that the covey of 60+ birds included both California and Gambel's quail. According to the distribution maps in my guuides, Salt Lake City must be just about the only place where you can see both types of quail at once.

JeffMoh said:
Looking at the video I shot of the quail, I now realize that the covey of 60+ birds included both California and Gambel's quail. According to the distribution maps in my guuides, Salt Lake City must be just about the only place where you can see both types of quail at once.

I'd say that's a pretty good winter's day's birding, too! But what the heck's a Yellow-rumped Warbler doing still there?! ;) Poor thing!

Katy Penland said:
I'd say that's a pretty good winter's day's birding, too! But what the heck's a Yellow-rumped Warbler doing still there?! ;) Poor thing!

All I can think is that it was still in migration. My wife and I both got several good looks at it, though.

JeffMoh said:
All I can think is that it was still in migration. My wife and I both got several good looks at it, though.
Oh, I have no doubt that's what you saw, believe me. :t: Two days ago, I spotted a Ruby-crowned Kinglet still hanging around our yard and pond, and we've had two weeks of 6-8 F. nights and most days barely making it above freezing. Can't imagine there's an insect alive anywhere round these parts that they can eat. Although having said that, the Western Bluebirds (a flock of 22) seem to be doing fine.

Making do

Katy Penland said:
Oh, I have no doubt that's what you saw, believe me. :t: Two days ago, I spotted a Ruby-crowned Kinglet still hanging around our yard and pond, and we've had two weeks of 6-8 F. nights and most days barely making it above freezing. Can't imagine there's an insect alive anywhere round these parts that they can eat. Although having said that, the Western Bluebirds (a flock of 22) seem to be doing fine.

It isn't that cold here (Houston), but it's cold enough to have suppressed most of the bugs. The birds manage , though. In our yard, a Golden-crowned Kinglet has started using the suet feeder while a Yellow-rumped Warbler has begun to eat from a platform feeder.

Jeff

Katy Penland said:

Chickadees and kinglets don't seem to eat berries, so I assume they are eating very tiny insect eggs or wintering forms in the cracks of the bark. See Bernd Heinrich's Winter World. He did some experiments.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back