• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Faded Bluebird?? (1 Viewer)

jward

Hello all,

Snapped a shot of this bird today here in Central New Jersey. I noticed three of them gathered in an old dead tree beside a marsh. I then got close enough to this one when it selected a new perch. Any ideas on the species? Nearest, I can figure is an Eastern Bluebird, but will welcome your thoughts.

Jarrod

Attachments

• Cropped Mystery Bird.jpg
    Cropped Mystery Bird.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 162
Jward......most of our PA. Bluebirds are pretty well faded, as was the one you photographed...but check out this one that I saw today (10/24/04)...it totally surprised me...it was colored almost like Summer plumage...I was lucky to get it as I snapped it out of the window of the car...it posed very patiently...I guess he was proud to still have retained his colors!!!! (and honest...I didn't tinker with the color saturation)
Muskrat

Attachments

• {Q-E}T0511 Bluebird Post.jpg
    {Q-E}T0511 Bluebird Post.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 113
I would have thought that Jarrod's bird is a dull female or juvenile whereas Muskrat's is a male. Are the Pennsylvania and New Jersey populations migratory? They certainly are further north, according to Sibley. If so, what usually happens with migratory species is that the adults move out first, leaving the juveniles to follow on later. Could that be why most of the bluebirds you're now seeing are dull ones?

Bluetail....I have only been seriously involved in recording sightings for a short period of time so my observations have a limited amount of validity...but...the "Pennsylvania Breeding Birds" information does show some sightings throughout the winter months. I personally have never been aware of any throughout the "dead" of winter in my part of PA. They are probably not resident birds, but perhaps from a spot further north. I do know that they are one of the first arrivals in good numbers in the early spring. And from my observations this Fall, most birds are rather drab in color (with today's sighting being the exception)
Muskrat

Hello all!

I would say that the three I viewed today (all of which were similarly colored) were migrants. I have been actively monitoring my local patch since I moved here early this spring and this is the first time I have ever seen Bluebirds in Jersey. I suppose that they are as you note, juvi's, travelling on the trail of their elders.

Thanks again,
Jarrod

Its a drab female Eastern Blluebird for me. Even if it isnt brite like in breeding, its still mighty pretty.

Bluetail,

I agree. Perhaps we can even postulate that the three birds were nestlings following along behind the others???

Possibly, but not necessarily from the same nest. Lots of birds that migrate at night do so in flocks - sometimes large ones. You might not notice them gathering prior to leaving since they'll be very spread out and will leave on a very broad front, but it can be obvious when a flock is grounded by bad weather. Over here, for example, you might go to the coast birding on a drizzly spring morning and find the bushes hopping with several hundred Willow Warblers.

Last edited:
They vary quite a bit. I have seen some in Nebraska that were equally faded. Then I saw some in Northern Nebraska that were blue, and quite dark. They had almost no reddish color on the breast. Yet they were too far East to ne Mountain Bluebirds.

Ours here look always at least slightly blue, though similar to yours.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back