• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panjin, Liaoning, China - two more Butterflies (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
A couple more new butterflies from this afternoon, September 13, 2017.

These were both tiny. The first three, brown one, is perhaps 2-3 mm long and flew with very fast wing beats like a Hummingbird Moth, except it landed on the flowers to feed. They were fairly numerous.

The fourth, blue butterfly, was even smaller perhaps 1-2 mm long. It flew about rapidly and constantly and I was not able to get a picture until I took a break from #1 and turned around to see one right behind me.

I would appreciate any help with an ID on either.

Attachments

• interesting Brown.jpg
    interesting Brown.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 39
  • interesting Brown (1).jpg
    interesting Brown (1).jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Interesting brown (2).jpg
    Interesting brown (2).jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Interesting blue.jpg
    Interesting blue.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 43
Ah, yes, that does seem to match up well. Thanks, Dev. Not listed in my sole reference, Butterflies of the World, but pointed me to what to look at online.

It is proving harder to learn than birding. There is some really good online sites, but almost entirely focused on Britain or the USA. Guess I really should have taken some more Biology at university and should have taken the local priests offer for Latin classes. That didn't get parental approval.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back