• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed. Black bird with red / orange under wings (1 Viewer)

LesaPink

Can anyone help me please ? At Akamba Garden Centre outside Solihull there were about 6 black corvid like birds ( bit like ravens ) but with red / orange / brown / rusty colour under the wings. Never seen them before and just can't find out what they were. About the size of a Woodpigeon but slimmer - like a corvid type. The black is like a magpie too - sort of blue sheen to it. It's driving me mad. Thank you

Last edited:
Thanks for responses. Definitely not a red winged black bird ( the red is on the underside of the wings ). Matt, I think you are right. Going back soon so I'll find someone to ask. Unfortunately the waitress couldn't help last time !!

Phil. Genius. It's not that one but I clicked on the link for Red Winged Starling - and that's what they are ! And, as Matt says - they are from South Africa - Akamba have an aviary for birds they have imported ( our waitress said ' they are as big as ostriches'' !! ), it's not open to the public yet - but you can see the top of it - and I could see that a Magpie had got IN, so these Red Winged Starlings must have got OUT. Thank you so much to all for helping me solve this - it was driving me crazy.

http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Red-winged_Starling

Last edited:
.... Matt. If you live nearby you should take a stroll over and have a look ! They are really charming, make a great sound, and they hang round the Akamba Kitchen Door for the scraps !

Last edited:
Thanks for the pointer guys. I live closeby and just had to take a look. I saw said birds but whilst desperate to increase my tally I couldn't tick them even though they were out and loose.. Ho hum

Alan

Absolutely. I'd still love to tick it and then it would be a cosmicMF but this would really be stretching it! Nice bird though and it brought a smile.

Regards

Thanks for responses. Definitely not a red winged black bird ( the red is on the underside of the wings ). Matt, I think you are right. Going back soon so I'll find someone to ask. Unfortunately the waitress couldn't help last time !!
I just saw the same thing in my yard in TX. It had beautiful orange all under the wings.

I just saw the same thing in my yard in TX. It had beautiful orange all under the wings.
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

I just saw 2 black birds at my feeder yesterday (Ides of March 2023) here in central Wyoming. Smaller then a Grackle. Black with red circle UNDER the wing. NOT a red wing Starling as everyone assumes. I tried looking it up & can't easily locate it. (Hence why I'm on this site as the question is exactly the same I typed in.) There was a musical bird sound simultaneously but I don't know that it came from this pair of black beauties at my bird feeder (on the ground underneath). I hope they come back & bring friends whoever they are😍

I just saw 2 black birds at my feeder yesterday (Ides of March 2023) here in central Wyoming. Smaller then a Grackle. Black with red circle UNDER the wing. NOT a red wing Starling as everyone assumes. I tried looking it up & can't easily locate it. (Hence why I'm on this site as the question is exactly the same I typed in.) There was a musical bird sound simultaneously but I don't know that it came from this pair of black beauties at my bird feeder (on the ground underneath). I hope they come back & bring friends whoever they are😍
I'm just gonna jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on BirdForum ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back