• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

William Cooper's Pigeons and Doves of Australia (1 Viewer)

I've just found out that all the original artwork for the pigeon book was bought from Andrew Isles by the State Library of New South Wales last June.

I've just found out that all the original artwork for the pigeon book was bought from Andrew Isles by the State Library of New South Wales last June.

That is good news. I think this superb artwork should remain accessible to the public one way or another. Still wish they'd issue copies near original in size, and most of all on thick paper.

From pigeons to parrots. I've just read "A Natural History of Australian Parrots" and it is wonderful. It's essentially an updated version of "Australian Parrots" of which the last edition was published fourteen years ago. Apart from much new information there is much more art work included. All the original plates of the older monograph are reproduced but on a smaller scale. Furthermore, all the Australian species of cockatoo painted for a portfolio published in 2001 are also included and as such presented in a book for the first time. The majority of the illustrations are taken by intricate watercolours and washed ink drawings of food plants and behavioral studies. Finally a number of oil and acrilic paintings are featured but not many and not of every species Cooper actually painted in those media. You can get a good impression of the book at the following link: https://www.chriswatson.com.au/blog...tralian-parrots-a-tribute-to-william-t-cooper

Last edited:
From pigeons to parrots. I've just read "A Natural History of Australian Parrots" and it is wonderful. It's essentially an updated version of "Australian Parrots" of which the last edition was published fourteen years ago. Apart from much new information there is much more art work included. All the original plates of the older monograph are reproduced but on a smaller scale. Furthermore, all the Australian species of cockatoo painted for a portfolio published in 2001 are also included and as such presented in a book for the first time. The majority of the illustrations are taken by intricate watercolours and washed ink drawings of food plants and behavioral studies. Finally a number of oil and acrilic paintings are featured but not many and not of every species Cooper actually painted in those media. You can get a good impression of the book at the following link: https://www.chriswatson.com.au/blog...tralian-parrots-a-tribute-to-william-t-cooper

As for the text, it may be excellent, but the price is pretty steep. And from a sample page, it would seem that this book suffers from the same problem as the pigeon and dove book (even the reprint): paper that lets the print from the backside shine though. To me, this takes quite a bit of the enjoyment I gain from looking at fine art.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back