• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

E-M1 Mark2: C-AF a disappointment (1 Viewer)

Its only in Sequential High and Silent High or single shot AF focus is locked when you fully press the shutter

Sequential Low and Silent Low the camera continues to AF when you fully press the shutter .

Regarding +2 -2 if it works like Canon this only affects the speed in which the camera will try to refocus on a new subject that comes into the frame NOT the AF speed of the camera I.E +2 on a bird that fly's behind a tree the camera will leave the bird and grab the Tree - 2 it will stay with the bird and ignore the tree .

The difference does vary a little but its about 1sec +2 to -2
Rob.

Last edited:
Can I just add that if you are set on -2 AND Sequential low then did a test say from moving the camera from 1 roof to a roof further away it is possible to just about fill the buffer before the camera will refocus .

This can lead you to think it is a Locked AF from the first roof but its not ? its just obeying the locking sensitivity setting -2 doing the same thing with +2 set will give far more in focus shots because the camera will instantly refocus onto the second roof.
Rob.

Here are some samples what the camera can do when shooting in C-AF and L-FPS.

Attachments

• P6080078.jpg
    P6080078.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 243
  • P6080364.jpg
    P6080364.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 273
  • P6010542.jpg
    P6010542.jpg
    723.4 KB · Views: 277
Yes I did. I am getting quite good and consistent results now after practicing and learning how to take advantage of the C-AF. These shots would have been near impossible with the E-M1 Mark 1 (or just plain luck).

Next I need to figure out how to make use of the C-AF+TR and also the Pro Capture.

Attachments

• P6140794.jpg
    P6140794.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 209
  • P6160101.jpg
    P6160101.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 216
Hi Ron,
These are with the 300/F4 at fairly short distance, 15 meters or something like that. It would have been extremely difficult to achieve with the scope as the action is hard to predict, time required to focus is short and is DOF shallow. I have spent quite a few hours with the scope and have got some decent results, however none where all the parameters framing, focus, posture and action all got correctly captured.

Cheers
Tord

After advise from other EM-1 Mark 2 users I switched to L-FPS (10 fps) when using C-AF. The results I get are now very good, much better than any I got with the E-M1 Mark 1.

Hi,

Could you please clarify exactly what you changed in response to the advice? You said you changed L-FPS (10 fps) when using C-AF; but changed from what? And just what setting in what menu are you referencing? Is it C1/ L Settings? And what submenu after that?

Jim

Hi,

Could you please clarify exactly what you changed in response to the advice? You said you changed L-FPS (10 fps) when using C-AF; but changed from what? And just what setting in what menu are you referencing? Is it C1/ L Settings? And what submenu after that?

Jim
Hi Jim,

Being used to the E-M1 Mark 1 since previous I directly when for shooting in H-FPS, which the first results indicate was a mistake.

What I did was to change from sequential H to sequential L. (Page 46 in the user manual). I also set the max FPS for L to 10/s. Menu C1/page 114. In effect you will get less.

Apart from that, tried various focus point settings. I think central 5 or 9 works best, depending on subject and background.

Release shutter prio = OFF

AEL/AFL mode 2

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back