• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there something new coming? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Was just wondering. The last big spotting scope from Kowa was released more than 10 years ago. Judging just by the history of releases this would mean, that something newer should already be released. Or is the 883/884 just too perfect to upgrade it?

http://www.kowa-prominar.com/concept/history.html

Cheers,
Albert

It looks like the 553/4 is next, so more towards the travelscope end than the big end. Given the general reviews of the 883/4 I really struggle to see how or what they can improve, as they are generally regarded as the best of the bunch by a country mile.

Now if only I could afford one....

I've been hoping for a new Kowa flagship scope for a few years. I scanned reports from this year's SHOT show, but found only the 553/54 mentioned.

I have a list of "improvements" I would like to see in a next generation Kowa scope: larger aperture in the 95-100mm range, highest magnification from the zoom eyepiece up to at least 75x, but 80-90x would be better, rubber armoring and better coatings for higher light transmission, which is somewhat low for multicoated optics in the current scopes. The result should be a more capable scope than the Swarovski ATX-95, which, at the moment, is the only competing scope that slightly outperforms the 883/4 in most ways except for CA correction.

Henry

Last edited:
The New Kowa TSN 100mm

I've been hoping for a new Kowa flagship scope for a few years. I scanned reports from this year's SHOT show, but found only the 553/54 mentioned.

I have a list of "improvements" I would like to see in a next generation Kowa scope: larger aperture in the 95-100mm range, highest magnification from the zoom eyepiece up to at least 75x, but 80-90x would be better, rubber armoring and better coatings for higher light transmission, which is somewhat low for multicoated optics in the current scopes. The result should be a more capable scope than the Swarovski ATX-95, which, at the moment, is the only competing scope that slightly outperforms the 883/4 in most ways except for CA correction.

Henry

Here you go Henry,...
The new prototype Kowa TSN 100mm scope, under going field testing in Japan late last year.
They have to put it on wheels, as its extremely heavy.
But at least you will be able to tow it where ever you want.
It can also be adapted as a 100mm artillery gun apparently,
But you'll need to apply for a firearms certificate ;)

Attachments

• Kowa TSN 100mm.jpg
    Kowa TSN 100mm.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 197
Kowa TSN 500mm.jpg
If that's the new scope I guess I'll have to pass. I don't have any horses to pull it. ;)

Well if i win the lottery, i will be going for the new Kowa Prominar TSN 500mm.
The sales rep at my local Kowa store informed me that from the west coast of England i would be able to the see New York skyline 3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back