• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

peter mathios said:
I think I got it figured out...
Here are a couple of works in progress and nearing completion. The first of a winter scene with a pair of mallards and an american wigeon drake - a painting that I have been working on since 2002 and I am finally on a path that I feel is working! The second is of a greenwing teal - although I am not quite happy with the water yet and the low light colors. Any critique from any artists at your studio would be welcome.
Peter
www.mathiosstudios.net

These are glorious (says in hushed whisper,night tim,don't let the bed bugs..!)

Always enjoy seeing how artists portray waterbirds and their sorroundings.
How on earth is it possible to recreate such a convincing scene of nature
and landscape onto pad or canvas-it's still a mystery to me!!

You all have my admiration

Matt

Oystercatcher painting kind of zipped in there ahead of my post, its a cracker Tim, really nice piece, love the colours. Landscapes are fantastic too and give a real sense of how wonderful your location can be, particularily in the warmer months. Spring and autumn must be something to relish!

Afraid I will have to go against the grain perhaps and indulge myself in a little irish number, perhaps a wee Black Bush, provided it is in the generous shadow of a good pint of Guiness!! (Should i ever finally make time to travel to the scottish isles though and single malt would be just great!)

Here I am as promised, Tim!

> Come and join us for something stronger a little later

Ehhhhhr… something stronger than hot chocolate? Well… I don’t know… I’m sort of teetotal. But I can leave it up to you… I accept a recommendation as you seem to be an expert. ;) But please, be careful with your choice, as I start to feel very dizzy at the second sip of alcohol.

I’ve just discovered that your place is very interesting to learn new things, like this:

"A clean desk is a sure sign of a sick mind."

Hmmmm… I’m not sure I liked to hear that… It means I’m really sick!!! :-C I don’t mean to say my desk is a model of tidiness but I fight with all my energy against its natural tendency to reach the highest state of mess!

While I digest the above critic and the brew you’ve chosen, I’m going to have a look to the your sketches, bye for now!

Spring water with the Black Bush, Alan? And a cold Guiness, specially imported from Dublin. For the first time in ages, today is calm and warm - even saw a moth caterpillar (no idea what species) and spring really is starting to become a little more tangible. Pop a drawing in, or what about a scene-setting landscape pic - I'd really like to see where you do your work. I've always wanted to visit Sweden (ever since Borg the Iceman) and obviously reading Bird Island.
Hi marian - teetotallers are more than welcome - we aren't prejudiced!!! ;)
However, if you're staying for a wee while, can I tempt you with a slightly alcoholic tipple? - perhaps a crisp white wine and a dash of fresh organic lemonade - ice and a slice, ought to be ok. Obviously I'll have to chaperone you, don't want you drinking more than one and a half sips and start causing trouble!
Cheers.

Don't suppose you've got a nice Zoco Pacharan in that virtual bar Tim?

I don't know if it's of interest but I thought I'd hand around one of my landscapes for the assembled throng to peruse.

I don't often do landscape and even when I do I like to inject a bit of bird life! My landscapes are far looser than my wildlife art and I tend to be a bit more adventurous with colour, what does anyone think? This rookery is in Norfolk BTW.

Woody

Attachments

• the-rookery.jpg
    the-rookery.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 252
Hi Peter-

Just to reiterate how much I admire your ability not only to portray birds so convincingly, but the way your habitat studies are so accurate - The first one is splendid and must almost be ready for the frame. The composition of the birds is exceptional and natural. Love it.
The teal painting, I think, is a masterclass in atmosphere - you can feel the low light and temperature. Thinking back to your stilt painting and the simplicity of the design which makes it so compelling, I'm wondering if that piece also succeeds so well because of the way the birds are 'breaking the dimensions' ie. moving through the painting from front to back. Although the teal is stationary, would a similar device be out of place, perhaps the head at three-quarters - although this may break the tranquility of the painting. Either way, it's bopund to be fab. Just a question - how do you manage to work on so many canvases simoultaneously? - I can't think of other pieces until I get the one I'm working on out the way (and I always rush them as I get fed up with them). A lesson in studio work, please Peter.

> a crisp white wine and a dash of fresh organic lemonade - ice and a slice, ought to be ok.

That sounds nice, very elaborated! But white wine is very dangerous, as I like it and then it produces devastating effects on me... It may be a good idea to have you by me keeping an eye on the quantities I have of that sublime brew. ;)

This site is growing and growing very quickly! I've had a look at the sketches of the first page. For some reason, I prefer finished paintings to sketches, even if they are very good. With sketches, I always have the feeling of "I need more!!!" and never let me satisfied. But I loved the Divers, seen from different angles. Something I like a lot of your drawing is that you get the "personality" of the bird, and not all bird illustrators get it (even in field guides).

........... This drink of yours is absolutely delicious! Do you think I can risk to have another sip?

Woody said:

I don't know if it's of interest but I thought I'd hand around one of my landscapes for the assembled throng to peruse.

I don't often do landscape and even when I do I like to inject a bit of bird life! My landscapes are far looser than my wildlife art and I tend to be a bit more adventurous with colour, what does anyone think? This rookery is in Norfolk BTW.

Woody
Just for you Woody - I always have the one bottle put aside. Feel free to take one whenever you visit. I also have some freshly preserved sloes which you could squeeze into it and the oranges are in the fridge, top left. Ice made from Speyside springwater ought to compliment it well - relaxa nd enjoy.
Adore the landscape - there's a lot of vitality in this piece and the lighting creates a wonderful atmosphere - bravo! Show more, please.
I'm going to post a painting, from conception to completion (hopefully) may be interesting.
Cheers!

Marian,
I'm sure we can all trust you to behave impeccably ;) - but if you can't the landlord has a very stern way of dealing with folk!
Just go carefully. ;)

Woody said:

Woody

Lovely painting that Woody! I can almost hear the racket! Colours are fantastic, love it...

> I'm sure we can all trust you to behave impeccably - but if you can't the landlord
> has a very stern way of dealing with folk! Just go carefully.

OK, then the second sip for the second page... under my own responsability!

Here I've found the sort of thing that thrills me: the Oystercatcher family. Oh, how sweet and cute!!!! With a nice cushion of my dear Sea Pink flower (if I'm not mistaken, that was a lesson from you, remember?). The little chick on the back looks just adorable, I'd love to take it and cuddle it! Everything looks so real, even the shadow of the adult beak. Sincere congrats for this one!

............Nothing wrong with the second sip... am I getting stronger with age???

timwootton said:
Just a question - how do you manage to work on so many canvases simoultaneously? - I can't think of other pieces until I get the one I'm working on out the way (and I always rush them as I get fed up with them). A lesson in studio work, please Peter.

Tim-

Everybody seems to have a different approach and yours seems to work well as you have beautiful work!

Like you , I get tired of working them unless the inspiration for one remains strong. It's when I get totally fed up that I set it aside until I excited about the piece again. Sometimes that takes years (the above winter waterfowl scene) but more often than not, it usually takes a week or two. A lot of times I will put the painting totally out of sight so that when I see it again there will be a fresh perspective. Currently, I have 8 paintings in progress in my studio! LOL ...and some ideas I can't wait to start! I do have an upcoming deadline though so I am trying to get some of these finished and am completely fighting the urge to start something new. I've posted a couple of the others in progress below...They are very low-res pictures though but I think you'll get the idea.

Thanks for the Lagavulin yesterday it was oh so good... I think today I'll have a Guinness. I saw that mentioned earlier and it sounded good. It's only 11am over here though! As the saying goes though... "it's 5 o'clock somewhere". In this case it should be about 5pm at your studio :D

www.mathiosstudios.net

Attachments

• rain drops1.JPG
    rain drops1.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 255
  • bullsprig.JPG
    bullsprig.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 272
  • Finley Painting.JPG
    Finley Painting.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 241
Woody said:

Woody

Woody-
This is a beautiful moody painting that is so full of life! I love it.
Peter
www.mathiosstudios.net

Thank you for the insight Peter (one cold Guiness on the bar) - these are fabulous. The contrast you get into your work is astounding; liquid colour and movement - really super. Are you working towards an exhibition? Keep us all posted, please. And you've only shown five pieces in progress - that means there must be a few more on the go! ;)
I'll join you with a lager - Cheers.

studio activity

On the encouragement/ advice of woody - the gull & Bouy (get it???) sketch will become (hopefully) a painting - here's the first 2 stages - stage 1 - common gull & bouy - stage 2 - don't like common gull, replace with 2 GBBgulls (still like the bouy, which is my boat mooring bouy at the bottom of the garden). Start to add some colour tonight. 2 More drawings from the life group.
Pint of lager.

Attachments

• BouyGull1.jpg
    BouyGull1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 241
  • BouyGull2.jpg
    BouyGull2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 251
  • lying.jpg
    lying.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 253
  • standing.jpg
    standing.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 256
Hi Martin - Is that a Jura with spring water, or neat? - Coming straight up, sir!

Feel free to bring some of your own stuff, if you wish - it's a sharing forum.

Here's how the painting's progressing (or not!). may get some more done later tonight, but Footie's on Sky, so may have to vegetate instead.
Think I'll go for a Brandy and Bailey's next, over rocks.
Cheers!

Attachments

• GBBG1.jpg
    GBBG1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 222
  • GBBG2.jpg
    GBBG2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 210
  • GBBG3.jpg
    GBBG3.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 242
timwootton said:
Hi Martin - Is that a Jura with spring water, or neat? - Coming straight up, sir!

Feel free to bring some of your own stuff, if you wish - it's a sharing forum.

Here's how the painting's progressing (or not!). may get some more done later tonight, but Footie's on Sky, so may have to vegetate instead.
Think I'll go for a Brandy and Bailey's next, over rocks.
Cheers!

Burning the late lamp Tim? Look forward to following this one progress, will pull up a pew! Cheers!

timwootton said:
Thank you for the insight Peter (one cold Guiness on the bar) - these are fabulous. The contrast you get into your work is astounding; liquid colour and movement - really super. Are you working towards an exhibition? Keep us all posted, please. And you've only shown five pieces in progress - that means there must be a few more on the go! ;)
I'll join you with a lager - Cheers.

Tim-
The virtual Guinness went down smooth. I think it may be time for a real one! I love the progression of your painting. Great composition and I can't wait to see further progress! Also, the life drawing are really well done. What a great idea to get a group together for that purpose.

Here are the other three unfinished paintings in my studio. I am not working toward an exhibition right now but toward a deadline with my publisher at the end of next week... There is an exhibition in May however and a couple of smaller shows in between so I am always trying to get paintings finished. Unfortunately, right now, that means I'm only in the field once a week doing sketches and taking pics.

As seen below, I paint other animals too. The tiger is in a really raw stage and is a piece that has been sitting for awhile... and again they are all pretty low-res.
www.mathiosstudios.net

Attachments

• Misty Ridge.JPG
    Misty Ridge.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 231
  • Queen Charlotte Strait.JPG
    Queen Charlotte Strait.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 218
  • Tiger.jpg
    Tiger.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 207
Progress Report

Had chance for a couple of hours this morning, once I'd managed to get the kids to school and the design job out of the way. Couldn't possibly do any last night - footie went to penalties, good game.

Attachments

• GBBG4.jpg
    GBBG4.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 215
  • GBBG5.jpg
    GBBG5.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 272
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back