• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wildlife in graphite (1 Viewer)

many thanks all for your comments,i took a look at the drawing this morning whilst it was still on the board and decided that i needed to add a few highlights to the bird as it's rump was getting a bit lost in the background so here is the slightly tweaked version

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 124
That's an amazingly 3-D effect that you've achieved there. Absolutely brilliant.
What do you use as your source for these drawings? Sketches, photographs?

Mike

Clive, did you tweak the bill as well? That was the one thing I wondered about. It seemed to get lost in background and now it doesn't. Looks great!

hi mike and thankyou.i use a combination of sketches and photographs normally,although for the curlew piece i relied on a batch of photo's i had taken at keyhaven marshes in september this year as i wanted to try and get a slightly photographic look going with the lighting.
Ken,yes i lifted out some graphite on the rump and bill and also lifted out some from the neck feathers to try to capture the translucency of the protruding feathers in the sunlight

Oooooooooooooohhh Nooooooooooooooo - you've gone and RUINED it!!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAA - only joking ;) - you b100dy perfectionists, honestly! Take it off the board - it's superb as it is.
Next . . . . . . .

the tweaks helped esp on the beak the whole thing sparkles now.

I saw my first curlew only a few weeks ago and heard the beautiful call, was reading Shorelands Summer Diary, by Tunnicliffe last night and he writes of flock of 100's of curlews at Anglesly.....do you have them like that, I saw only 2 when I observed.

thankyou colleen,the call of the curlew is indeed wonderful,i find it quite a haunting sound.I'm sure they do still occur in large flocks although ive only ever seen half a dozen at a time,this one was one of three i spotted on the particular bit of the marshes i was observing.it was a bright but very blustery day and each one was skulking around the marsh grass ducking in and out of the wind

Colleen - if you want curlews, come to Orkney. Flocks of up to 1000 birds are regularly seen (wintertime) and their call rerally is one of the sounds of an Orkney summer.

Nice one Clive. I didn't really notice the lost edge, I was too intrigued by the way the plant reflects the beak shape and curve.

Mike

Wonderful.... To be able to maintain such a high quality right across the board, even in the boring bits, is something I only dream of. Can't wait for the next one.

thanks paul,sometimes its a struggle,thats why i always complete my backgrounds first,this helps me to maintain my interest right upto the end.may be a little while till my next one as ive got to do a tiger image next and they take a couple of weeks!

Another stunning piece of work and it is great to see so much effort being put into the backgrounds too (I am by far too lazy) ~ very lovely!

thanks chrissy,it is hard work doing the backgrounds especially in graphite as its so time consuming but i like the idea of having the bird in context and so i just have to bite the bullet!

A happy new year to everyone.ive been a bit busy lately working on animal drawings for upcoming events and so havnt had any time to draw birds for a while,i aim to put that right over the next few weeks but in the meantime if you'll indulge me i'll post a non bird drawing.this is a siberian tigress that ive been working on for the last couple of weeks and finished yesterday.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 95
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back