• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (3 Viewers)

Was down at the Ness today, some very rough seas made for nice viewing. There was a group of Bottlenose Dolphin and Divers (couldn't tell the species), no sign of Snow Buntings in the car park but there was a Redshank.

Was down at the Ness today, some very rough seas made for nice viewing. There was a group of Bottlenose Dolphin and Divers (couldn't tell the species), no sign of Snow Buntings in the car park but there was a Redshank.

I was down at the Ness this afternoon too and also saw the rough seas and at least a couple of Bottlenose Dolphins. I didn't see the Snow Buntings either.

There were 101 Redshank, but they were roosting on the Skate's Nose. Also 40 Purple Sandpipers and 19 Turnstones there and a female Goosander was on the river. The Freak was in Walker Park. Otherwise it was pretty hard work for not much reward.

The best birds of the day came at 10:15 this morning, with a long-awaited house tick in the shape of 11 Whooper Swans flying south over the city centre.

The Waxwings don't seem to have arrived here yet, which isn't great. Hopefully they will arrive soon; if they don't then it might not be such a great winter for them this year. Have any of you seen them at Girdleness before?

The Waxwings don't seem to have arrived here yet, which isn't great. Hopefully they will arrive soon; if they don't then it might not be such a great winter for them this year. Have any of you seen them at Girdleness before?

Haven't seen them at Girdleness before but I presume that they arrive there, maybe my assumptions are wrong though. All the rowanberries seem to have gone now anyway, not much food for them. There was a sighting on 19th October at Altens according to Birdguides though.

Last edited:
It sounds like there are still lots of rowan berries in Scandinavia, so it might be that Waxwings will stay there for the winter rather than come over here. In big winters for Waxwings, quite a few have usually arrived by now. Perhaps we'll get a few though. I saw some Waxwings in Torry last winter, but I suspect they head inland pretty quickly. Girdle Ness doesn't really have any food for them so, other than the odd flock flying through, I reckon you'd struggle to see them there.

Yes, I was thinking that Girdleness wouldn't be the best place to see Waxwings. In the city centre on good winters I see them from my window, which is lovely (we have a rowan berry bush) in our front garden, but they're normally here by now so I agree with you that it may not be such a great winter for them this year.

they're normally here by now so I agree with you that it may not be such a great winter for them this year.

I think we've been spoiled by increased Waxwing numbers over the last decade and now expect them to turn up in good numbers. It's easy to forget that they used to be much scarcer. In the 1970s and 80s, the peak flock size in Aberdeen averaged less than 30 birds, in the 1990s it averaged about 75 birds, but since 2000 the peak flock size has averaged about 400 birds.

After I returned to live in the north-east in 1992, it took me four years before I saw a Waxwing, even though I drove through favoured areas like Hilton every day on my way to work. They were quite scarce during that time and of course there was no internet to tell you where the flocks had been seen recently!

Had a bit of a spin round this morning. A male Sparrowhawk flew through the Plotties, where there were still quite a few Linnets. As is the way at this season, the sea was the main place to look. Lots of Eiders were off the Coo and in amongst them were four Common Scoters and a Velvet Scoter, all females. Four Long-tailed Ducks flew north, almost the first I've seen this winter. Also coming in fours were the Red-throated Divers on Nigg Bay. Six Lapwings were on the shore there. Purple Sandpipers were roosting on the rocks in Greyhope Bay, with a rough count of 174. A few skeins of Pink-feet went over.

I had a fairly thorough look around the waterworks and St Fittick's to no avail. Returning up the hill I was surprised to see that the old buildings at St Fittick's - where the Richard's Pipit was the other week - have been razed to the ground. Maybe some marauding hordes have been through recently, leaving a trail of destruction in their wake. A male Stonechat was on the gorse there. Then, rather unexpectedly, a flock of around forty Snow Buntings flew over northwards. Not sure where they came from or where they went to.

Squeezed in a wee seawatch this morning, between dawn and hypothermia. There were a few bits and bobs going north, but no little auks until Hugh Addlesee turned up and saw a couple that I didn't manage to connect with. Best of it for me were;
Black-throated diver, black guillemot, 5 velvet scoter, 4 long tailed duck, 8 common scoter, Arctic skua, 4 RTD, and singles of wigeon and mallard.

Squeezed in a wee seawatch this morning, between dawn and hypothermia. There were a few bits and bobs going north, but no little auks until Hugh Addlesee turned up and saw a couple that I didn't manage to connect with. Best of it for me were;
Black-throated diver, black guillemot, 5 velvet scoter, 4 long tailed duck, 8 common scoter, Arctic skua, 4 RTD, and singles of wigeon and mallard.

I know what you mean about hypothermia, and I'm not even out :-O

Must have just missed you Mark. There wasn't too much later on, the best being a Great-northern Diver, 9 Long-tailed Ducks, 9 Common Scoter, a Mallard, three Red-throated Divers, three Dunlin, a Fulmar and a Kittiwake. Also a Harbour Porpoise. A bit disappointing really and it seemed to be getting quieter as the morning went on. Might be better tomorrow.

Any good migrants the past few days? Little Auk, Goldcrest,...Lapland Bunting? What's the weather forecast?

I've not been out since the weekend. It's a bit late for landbird migrants (although you never know). Seabirds might be a better bet, although the wind has gone round to the south now, which is less good.

Slap bang in the middle of the golf course!

Failing that, I think perhaps around the more sheltered parts of the Battery might be the best bet.....

I actually signed up to plant a tree, this was a few weeks ago when there were places on the free tree list in Aberdeen, they're gone now for some reason. I think a Rowan/Mountain Ash would be good up at Girdleness.

leaked from my mole in Aberdeen Council.....

As the Aberdeen City Council contribution, the Countryside Rangers are aiming to plant in excess of 200 trees between 11am and 12noon at St Fitticks Park, Torry, Aberdeen. The trees are to be planted in one of the areas near to where trees were planted several years ago near the water treatment works to add to the previous planting. To achieve this target some extra volunteer help is needed! If you would like to join in with this record breaking attempt please book a place with the Countryside Rangers on 01224 897400 and be a part of the record attempt in at least 67 countries around the world!

The meeting point for the event will be next to St Fitticks church ruin on St Fitticks Road at 10.30am. The tree planting will be taking place across the other side of the St Fitticks Park near the water treatment works and will be timed to start at precisely 11am to coincide with the world record attempt. Please ensure you arrive on time! The world record planting will finish at 12noon. Children under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult at all times.

Please pass this on to anyone else you know who might be interested, hopefully we will get some press coverage before the weekend as well.

Sounds interesting.....I reckon they'll be planted in the fenced off rough grass west of the STW, creating more good habitat for both migrant and breeding birds. The cover around the STW that was planted a couple of years ago has provided breeding habitat for song thrush, willow warbler, chiffchaff, and reed bunting aomong others. I wonder what this kind of 'investment' in the area means for the permanent wetland that was proposed a wee while ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back