• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss might buy major part of Leica (45%) (1 Viewer)

Vespobuteo

HT-glass was just the first step to "Conquest" Leica bins, not good news for Leica fans, or market competition.

"Reuters is reporting that investment group Blackstone is "in talks with potential buyers" in an attempt to sell its 45% stake in Leica Camera, possibly to Zeiss. The other 55% of the company is owned by the Kaufmann family, who brought in Blackstone as a co-investor in 2011."

https://www.dpreview.com/news/5710804150/report-45-of-leica-is-up-for-sale-and-zeiss-is-interested

Last edited:
Hello,

Let me be pedantic. 45% is not a major portion. A major portion, as in a majority is 51%. Of course, 45% would be a significant portion.

Happy bird watching
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello,

Let me be pedantic. 45% is not a major portion. A major portion, as in a majority is 51%. Of course, 45% would be a significant portion.

Happy bird watching
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Thats why I wrote "major part" and not "major portion"...o:D

But I don't speak English, so I won't argue...o:)

Last edited:
Not sure that I speak English either.

Leica have struggled for years regarding finances, so this may ensure stability.

Am not convinced Zeiss has a serious interest.
Blackstone was a purely financial investor, while Zeiss would only invest to be a strategic partner. The Kaufmann family does not want that, they plan to hold Leica forever. So an Asian investor seems most likely. Wonder whether Softbank has any interest in photography....

The article states that Zeiss is only interested if it has a controlling interest in the company.

That makes sense.

Jerry

yay....my shiny 8x32 BNs will be worth an absolute fortune

Them 8x32 BNs are a cult binocular. up in the hall of fame with the Zeiss 7x42 bgat and 10x40 bgats. The Nikon 8x30 EII And others. Always going to be worth money. They never should have disco/d the trins

The old Leica Trinovids are heavy, bulky binoculars with some inconveniences that the Ultravids do not have. They have eye cups that cannot be removed to help in cleaning the oculars and the eye cups also do not have intermediate positions between fully open and closed.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back