• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camargue in September (1 Viewer)

rachk116

England
Can anyone help me?

I'm planning to go to the Camargue in the middle of September this year and was wondering how good it is at that time of year. I'm interested in the raptors, but am thinking it may just be a little too late for the main migration. Have looked at the Collins Bird Guide and it says that Little Bustard and Pin-tailed Sandgrouse are there all year round. Is this right and if so, where are the places to see them?

Also, does anyone know of any good self-catering places in the area?

All help will be greatfully received.

Last edited:
rachk116 said:
Can anyone help me?

I'm planning to go to the Camargue in the middle of September this year and was wondering how good it is at that time of year. I'm interested in the raptors, but am thinking it may just be a little too late for the main migration. Have looked at the Collins Bird Guide and it says that Little Bustard and Pin-tailed Sandgrouse are there all year round. Is this right and if so, where are the places to see them?

You're in for a great trip. For a rough synopsis you could have a look at this page http://www.limosaholidays.co.uk/tripReportDetail.cfm?reportID=177.
I'm sure there are many others with greater local expertise but for starters on the Camargue itself in Sept you can expect Marsh Harrier, Black Kite, Hobby, Short Toed Eagle, and perhaps Osprey.
For the PT Sandgrouse and Little Bustard you need to go to 'La Crau' http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/sites/index.html?action=SitHTMDetails.asp&sid=2328&m=0
Les Baux de Provence is another great spot. http://www.naturalist.co.uk/reports2003/campyr.php
Some people prefer to stay near Arles rather than mix it with the voracious mozzies in the Camargue.

Hi rachk116,

September will be brill. The following is an advert from the British Birds monthly journal.

Provence - Camargue. Two self catering cottages. Rogers, mas d' Auphan, Le Sambuc, 13200 ARLES, France. Tel (0033) 490 972041. e-mail [email protected]

These people have advertised in BB for years. I haven't been to this accommodation but I have been to the Camargue and it's beautiful and full of birds.

John.

rachk116 said:
Can anyone help me?

Hi
I spent a week there in September last year and had a reasonable trip.
It was not outstanding for raptors though.
La Crau was good for Little Bustard a very good trip report here. I had reasonable views of Litlle Bustard but tried without luck for a couple of days for Sandgrouse.
Les Baux is certainly worth a visiit, too early for Wallcreeper of course, but did have Blue Rock Thrush and Crag Martin there. There is a reasonably relaible Eagle Own site there too but I didn't see or hear any on the only evening I spent in the area. I also had Alpine Swifts at the radar station at La Caume nearby.
I slept in the back of my estate rental car by the saline lagoons! and if you can stand the mozzies its brilliant as you pretty much have the place to yourself late evening and early morning and the sun rises and sun sets are out of this world. Although it can smell a bit down there!!!
Highlights here included huge numbers of waders including Temmincks Stints, Kentish Plovers also Ortolan Bunting and Caspian Tern. There we at least 1500 Greater Flamingo in the lagoons in and around the area which are great value in the evenings.

I was amazed at how few birders there were in the area in fact I don't remember seeing another birder the entire week I was there!!!

Have a good trip
Breggie

Hi rach116
I get to the Camargue most May & September. Try the airfield at Eguyieres for Little Bustard early morning, you may get Sandgrouse there but Peau de Meau in Le Crau is your best bet look out for shrikes also.
Le Capeliere is worth a visit half way round Etang du Vaccares for waders and Penduline Tit( tho` I`ve not found them yet!!!) follow on to Salin de Badon( get ticket from Capeliere) almost certain to see Marsh Sandpiper loads of Sp Redsh and maybe Spoonbills and loads of duck(Rc Pochard)
On the road to Tour du Valet is La Grenouilette, there is a raised platform to view from, it is good for duck, waders and any storks that may be about if there is water!!
You should see Rollers on the lines and still Bee eaters.
Follow the road from Salin de Badon out to ths sea for more waders ( Temmincks & Little Stint Curlew sands etc) and Flamingo, I believe Broad Billed Sand( see Oiseauxprovence website).
Enjoy your trip and I hope you see lots.

Thanks for the info Nerabus, but the trip mentioned above was last year. Visited most of the places you mentioned and all were good. Look forward to returning in the future.

Camargue trip

Hi rach
there`s me ever the observant, I`m surprised I ever see anything in the field. Glad you had a good time last year, it`s a nice area.
cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back