• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid 7x35 (1 Viewer)

Boogieshrew

I've not really been following the world of optics for quite some time so was very surprised to find a new version of trinovid 7x35 available for pre-order.

As a great fan of 7x42 bins, I was very pleased to see this because I long for a lightweight, large exit pupil alternative. But these trinovid only have 15mm eye relief. I don't expect that to suit me as a spectacle wearer.

What a shame, I thought that my dream had come true and a quality, lightweight, wide angle, long ER binocular had appeared on the scene just as the 7x42 format breathes it's last.

I guess there's little hope of a high quality 7x35 now. I suspect Leica are hoping to sell these on a nostalgia ticket. If they weren't, they would have come up with a really up to date 7x35 design.

I am hoping that when I get to try them, they have enough ER, of course đŸ˜€

Has any one had he pleasure of checking these out yet?

As far as I know Leica only modernized the coatings on the lenses and prisms these Trinovids. Otherwise they are the same as the old Leitz versions. The 7x35 is probably the highest quality 7x35 you will find. The 7x35 versions always had a wide field. They have an 8.6º FOV or 450'@1000yards. Wide field eyepieces have shorter eye relief than normal eyepieces and the 15mm ER it has is pretty good for a wide field of view.

The 8x40 has 15mm ER with a normal 390' FOV @ 1000 yds. And the 10x40 has 15mm ER with a typical 330'FOV @ 1000 yds.

All 3 have 5mm exit pupils.

https://us.leica-camera.com/Sport-O...ing/Binoculars/Leica-Trinovid2/Trinovid-Range

Bob

Hi Bob,
The specs are really interesting, especially the very low weights and the wide doc of the 7x.
Were the old Leitz versions well regarded?
And what do they compare with today?

I still think the 15mm ER is a deal breaker for me but I am still very intrigued and look forward to trying them.
After all 16mm is somehow enough on my FL 7x42s.

Well, to answer my own question, I googled these bins, which bought me straight back to BF, of course. It seems the leitz 7x35 has some very appreciable comments here and indeed some along the line of how great this bin would be with modern glass and coatings.
Haha, now I really want to try it and for 15mm ER to be enough!

As far as I know Leica only modernized the coatings on the lenses and prisms these Trinovids.

Yep. Dielectric coatings and phase-coatings on the prisms, up-to-date multi-coatings on the lenses, hydrophobic coatings on the objective lenses and the eyepiece lenses. They also changed the eyecups to a screw-in / screw-out design with four clickstops.

At least that's what I understood.

Hermann

Ceasar:
As far as I know Leica only modernized the coatings on the lenses and prisms these Trinovids. Otherwise they are the same as the old Leitz versions[...]
Hermann:
[...and] hydrophobic coatings [outside]. They also changed the eyecups[...] At least that's what I understood.
- The outside coatings are also AquaDura, which "protects from scratches and abrasion".
- They are nitrogen filled, "weatherproof, resistant to splash water and rain". What this means is discussed with differing opinions in this thread on the new Trinovids.

Last edited:
I have 4 of the older trinovids from 60s through late 70s....the 6x24, 8x32, 7x35, and 10x40.....those bins with the improved lens/prism coatings and waterproofing should be very impressive as long as they didn't skimp on the mechanical side of equation....in the day they were hands down the best roof bin going......

now days any roof prism will be brighter and show better color than the original trinovids....but none will come close on the mechanical side......I still use the 8x32 now and then mostly for nostalgias sake and to enjoy the build quality......

Last edited:
Talking about the improvements made to the original Trinovids, the Leica 'Experience Observation' booklet says: "Improved light transmission of up to 90%, along with optimised edge sharpness and colour neutrality..."

Boogieshrew,
You could consider buying special glasses for use with bins. With my close fitting glasses the 13.3 mm ER of the Leica Ultravid 8x32 is ok.

George

Boogieshrew,
You could consider buying special glasses for use with bins. With my close fitting glasses the 13.3 mm ER of the Leica Ultravid 8x32 is ok. George

That's a good point George, thank you. It's probably time for some new birding specs. Day to day I use varifocals but I have single vision ones for birding that are over 5 years old. They have quite thick plastic frames and sit off the face a bit so a mm or two more ER could probably be found.

I can recommend thin metal frames as they are more flexible than plastic ones and can thus be pressed a little bit more 'into' your face.

Yes, I know others prefer thin metal frames to make the most of eye relief but I gave them up in favour of plastic because I disliked the fact that wire ones put all the weight of the specs, and any pressure added by binoculars resting against them, on two tiny pads on your nose.
Plastic frames seem to spread the pressure more comfortably.
That said, I would be willing to try wire ones again if they allowed me to try more binoculars.

I've not really been following the world of optics for quite some time so was very surprised to find a new version of trinovid 7x35 available for pre-order.

As a great fan of 7x42 bins, I was very pleased to see this because I long for a lightweight, large exit pupil alternative. But these trinovid only have 15mm eye relief. I don't expect that to suit me as a spectacle wearer.

Same here... IMO this looks like a super binocular. Format/size/fov/etc. Won't be for me though as a fellow eyeglasses wearer. Thankfully there are plenty of others that suit our needs such as the Ultravid HD + 7X42. Hopefully we will get some good reviews/reports from those that don't wear glasses!

With ER measured differently among manufrs., and other factors also apparently affecting usability by eyeglass wearers, previous Leica models stated by them to be 15mm work for me as one such user. I eagerly await reports on the new Trinovid 7x35 by others who wear glasses!

The "new old" Trinovid's 15mm may well be enough; the old one was a B version (Brillenträger = spectacle-wearer) after all. I'd definitely try one "in the hand", with a fairly close fitting pair of spectacles, before ruling it out on paper data alone. I use a quite close fitting rimless pair with my Dialyt 10x40B (stated eye relief 15mm per allbinos) and do just fine. Indeed I ended up adjusting the eyecups "out" a tiny bit as with the eyecups fully folded back I found I would occasionally get blackouts when I blinked. (NB. just checked eye relief on the Swarovski SLC 8x30 mark II I also use without trouble, and that is apparently also 15mm.)

Last edited:
I'm very eager to hear back from first users of the 7x35. If I can get over the lack of waterproof properties, I could see myself unable to resist the optical specifications.

How do we refer to Trinovids now, anyway. Trinovid Classic, then Gen 2-3, then New Trinovid Classic? Or just Gen 1-4?

Yesterday, I spoke to a fellow glasses wearer who has tried the 7x35s and he said the eye relief was fine for him and that the bins are excellent. Not the match of ones that are twice the price or so but that's to be expected, of course.

I am really looking forward to trying these out and am now hopeful that there will be enough ER.

By the way, I think of these bins as "updated old skool."

Yesterday, I spoke to a fellow glasses wearer who has tried the 7x35s and he said the eye relief was fine for him and that the bins are excellent. Not the match of ones that are twice the price or so but that's to be expected, of course.

I am really looking forward to trying these out and am now hopeful that there will be enough ER.

By the way, I think of these bins as "updated old skool."

Nice bit of old skool. Can't beat it demands a bit of respect from these new birder types

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back