• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ibiza, June 18th-25th (1 Viewer)

Hotspur

James Spencer
United Kingdom
Firstly in no way was this a birding trip. It was my stag do and thus there is a remarkable paucity of birds but...I did see a few crackers and nailed an endemic species and subspecies.

I stayed at the northern edge of Sant Antoni, away from the riff-raff of the west end in a dodgy little apartment block for a mere 8 quid per night. The pine maquis was a mere 100 yards from my hotel which was very good news for me.

On the 18th we landed just before sunset and my first Ibizan bird was a Feral Pigeon. On the taxi ride over I also noticed perched on the wires a Common Kestrel and another unidentified larger falcon. Once in Sant Antoni a movement of Audouin's Gulls provided my first lifer. These scarce gulls were one of the most common and welcome sights.

After a severe hangover i rose at about midday to go for a walk along the coast. Noted on this were 4 drunken accomplices, 2 lizard species, a profusion of Spotted Flycatchers, a juvenile Serin, Greenfinch, Goldfinch and to my mates delight a number of desmaresti Shag. The first Collared Doveand only Turtle Dove were also seen. Amongst the Audouin's Gulls I plucked a few Yellow-legged Gulls as i would for the rest of the week.

The 20th was an earlyish rise for a walk in the maquis. This was a lone sojorn and worth it. The higher maquis was relatively birdless save for a House Martin, a few Common Swift (i tried to make em pallid!) and a few heard only warblers. Near the edges of town though I had more luck with Swallow, a family party of Sardinian Warbler, Blackbird, a nice male Serin and using my tutors tip of pouring water on a bush to attract them, flushed 2 sodden Balearic Warblers. A Firecrest was also noted. Good result.

Thats pretty much it for proper birding although the sparrows were House Sparrows and I saw a couple of badius Woodchat Shrikes around the island. All said 5 lifers and 3 year birds plus my first med shag and balearic woodchat. Perhaps could have done more but my head, guts and balance conspired against me.

Great report James. Sounds like you managed some birding after all. Hope your nights out were as good as the birds. btw '2 lizard species?' Not good enough!! We (well I) want to know WHAT species!

If you saw lots of Spotted Flycatchers and noticed how pale they were compared to the ones in England you can add the ssp balearica to your list. Check on these pics the differences between both ssps.

Attachments

• Reajustado_s&b 4.jpg
    Reajustado_s&b 4.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Reajustado_s&b 6.jpg
    Reajustado_s&b 6.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 133
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back