• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friends of Red Kites - in the North East of England (2 Viewers)

Leonard and I had a couple of days in Harrogate. Doug Simpson of the Yorkshire Kite re-introduction scheme, based at Harewood House, kindly gave us instructions as to where we might best see any kites.
Since two of our Northern Kites, Speedy WT1 and Scarlet WT2 decided to abscond and find partners in Doug's Domaine, we were keen to see if we could find them amongst the other kites. Clever kites... with their respective partners, they have raised at least six chicks!

Yesterday, Tuesday, 28th October was a bright sunny day, so off we went - an attached map shows where we went, and I have marked where we saw the Red Kites. The entrance to the Harewood Estate from the junction to Wike leads you onto a bridle pathway, looking towards Harewood House. Three kites were floating on the thermals just above the near fields looking towards the House.
My best sighting was the northern one near the roundabout. I attach a pic, but, although the kite flew low at first, it then soared high into the sky, and I couldn't do any better than this. At least the silhouette is very kitey!

It was good to see that, despite the recent poisoning in Otley, these kites looked active and well. We saw no tags, so Speedy and Scarlet, if you were there, it was good to meet you again!

Hi June

Great report once more. A pity about the silouette of the Red Kite in the sky - and not ID

I hate to hear about the Kite poisonings and I hope that they become less frequent, and fade out at the end of the day. :-C

Six chicks 'is' good going and well done to the parents for all their hard work.

Regards
Kathy
x

Yorkshire Kites - Important correction

Doug Simpson of the Yorkshire Kites Project has kindly contacted me to give us the correct details of the two kites, WT1 Speedy(Yorkshire WT11) and WT 2 Scarlet (Yorkshire WT7) , our two Northern Kites which absconded to Harewood!

I knew they had certainly had six chicks, but that was their total for 2008. I am amazed and thrilled to hear from Doug that we should give them and their respective partners credit for at least 18 chicks since they began breeding!!!

Our thanks to Doug. Mixing and matching our kites must be good for the Gene Pool!

Last edited:
Doug Simpson of the Yorkshire Kites Project has kindly contacted me to give us the correct details of the two kites, WT1 Speedy(Yorkshire WT11) and WT 2 Scarlet (Yorkshire WT7) , our two Northern Kites which absconded to Harewood!

I knew they had certainly had six chicks, but I am amazed and thrilled to hear from Doug that we should give them and their respective partners credit for at least 18 chicks!!!

Our thanks to Doug. Mixing and matching our kites must be good for the Gene Pool!

Hi June

Love to hear good news as you have here. It brings a big smile to our faces to hear of Red Kites doing well - and 18 chicks too now that is a good number.

A reshuffle in the gene pool is a good thing all round o:)o:)

Regards
Kathy
x

FoRK Red Kite Safari 6th November 09

A beautiful sunny morning, blue skies and yes, lots of kites to be seen, all over the area chosen for the Kite Safari, led by Ken Sanderson, and arranged by Sylvia Jones.
Leonard and I joined the Group at Thornley Woods/Hollinhill Lane. Attached is a group photograph.
I finally met Mick and his wife, who are two new members - you are very welcome! A group of Durham University Students also joined us, making about thirty in all.
My shots of kites are not up to scratch - too high in the sky, and the one shot I'd loved to have got, of a kite swooping over the hedge, within ten feet, wasn't possible, as I was driving at the time!!
But I know that Mick will join us with his impressions of the Safari and some of his superb images!:t:

Attachments

• FoRK-Safari-_6-Nov-09-3.jpg
    FoRK-Safari-_6-Nov-09-3.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 98
I've got to say that the planning for today was superb, I'd love to know how the weather and kite appearances were booked. I've had a quick look through the photographs and some look very good. So far I've noticed that we've seen WTC3, WTA2, WT79 and WT15 and I'm still checking. We've also got an untagged Kite with feathers out of place on it's left wing and another Kite with feathers out of place on its right wing but I don't know if its tagged or not.

June, I think you'll like some of the photographs. I'll upload some later on as I've got to go out for an hour or two then I'll post more.

Attachments

• untagged.jpg
    untagged.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 99
I've uploaded a few of my photographs which were taken today. Just a thought about a question which came up. A few people asked if the Red Kites had brought Buzzards in, I thought that they might but couldn't think of a reason why. Maybe it's because the Red Kites have been given good publicity and people are no longer persecuting raptors. The Buzzards were a massive bonus and seemed to get on really well with the Kites, it was as if they enjoyed each others company.

Anyway back to the day, the walk lasted more than 2 hours and from getting out of the car to leaving it was a constant stream of Red Kites. I don’t think I’ve seen as many in such a short period of time. They seemed to come from all directions and it was as if they were following us around.

As a kid I would never have believed that I would see what I’ve seen today, so many raptors with a wingspan of more than 5 feet flying over Tyneside, it’s amazing.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 98
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 100
A beautiful sunny morning, blue skies and yes, lots of kites to be seen, all over the area chosen for the Kite Safari, led by Ken Sanderson, and arranged by Sylvia Jones.
Leonard and I joined the Group at Thornley Woods/Hollinhill Lane. Attached is a group photograph.
I finally met Mick and his wife, who are two new members - you are very welcome! A group of Durham University Students also joined us, making about thirty in all.
My shots of kites are not up to scratch - too high in the sky, and the one shot I'd loved to have got, of a kite swooping over the hedge, within ten feet, wasn't possible, as I was driving at the time!!
But I know that Mick will join us with his impressions of the Safari and some of his superb images!:t:

I've just noticed the website. http://friendsofredkites.org.uk/index.htm

FoRK website

Yes, it has gone live, Mick, but it is still under construction. There are one or two things to sort out, but we are hopeful that it will be a good vehicle for spreading our news and encouraging people from both in and beyond the core area of the Derwent Valley to come and see our glorious kites at first-hand and to become guardians of this growing family of kites!

Yes, it has gone live, Mick, but it is still under construction. There are one or two things to sort out, but we are hopeful that it will be a good vehicle for spreading our news and encouraging people from both in and beyond the core area of the Derwent Valley to come and see our glorious kites at first-hand and to become guardians of this growing family of kites!

I guess it will always be under construction, it looks much better than the original format, it looks clearer and is easier on the eye. The site is simple to to get around which is a bonus these days when a lot of sites add content for the sake of it.

Hi Kathy We sighted a Red Kite just east of Kettering, this morning, weather conditions were appaling, high winds may have blown it of course. But it was quartering the ground like it was at home there. First Ive seen this far over, and not too far from Bedfordshire.

Yours PeterK

Kites a-flying

Ken Sanderson, our FoRK Chairman was in the area near the Nine Arches Viaduct yesterday, and counted 35 - yes, 35 red kites in the air at the same time. This is even more than we saw on the recent Safari!

Our website is now up and running. There is a feed-back facility, so please send any info about our kites, or any questions you have, and we'll do our very best to respond.

http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk
:t:

Attachments

• rkt cover.jpg
    rkt cover.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
i got really close views of a red kite yesterday not to far from the viaduct perched in a tree eating something had the wingtag number 42 which i later found out was a male called thunderbird. also saw 2 more kites later on circling above us but couldnt see any id tags. brilliant day all together !

A good kite day

i got really close views of a red kite yesterday not to far from the viaduct perched in a tree eating something had the wingtag number 42 which i later found out was a male called thunderbird. also saw 2 more kites later on circling above us but couldnt see any id tags. brilliant day all together !

Glad you had an enjoyable visit and were rewarded for your efforts of travelling from Hartlepool. You're right in that WT42 is Thunderbird. Here is what the Official Northern Kites Project says about him:

Thunderbird Wing Tag:42

Adopted by: Burnopfield Primary School, Durham

Male/Female: Male

Release Date:13th July 2005

Key Activities up to July 2009:

Since release, Thunderbird has spent the majority of his time in the lower Derwent valley and Barlow Burn. His preferred roosts have varied between Barlow and Sherburn Tower Farm at Rowlands Gill. He has been seen foraging and feeding in Barlow Burn and at the Burnhills SITA landfill site with several other kites. During May 2006 he was frequently recorded around the Gibside estate. He is still seen regularly around the Rowlands Gill area.

Thunderbird and WT54 (Fantastic Flying Fiona) were seen inspecting an old crows nest in early spring. They set up a territory and WT54 was first noted incubating during April 2007, however the nest was abandoned in early May.

Thunderbird remains in Gateshead and during the winter months has regularly been detected at the Gibside winter roost.

In spring 2008 Thunderbird and WT54 paired up again, however, they did not successfully raise any chicks.

On 9th October 2008, Thunderbird was seen roosting near Sherburn Towers housing estate in Rowlands Gill, Gateshead.

On 10th March 2009, Thunderbird was seen with partner WT54 investigating woodland in the lower Derwent valley area of Gateshead. On 30th March 2009, Thunderbird was seen feeding on a dead vole with WT54 in the Derwent Walk Country Park, Gateshead.

Location as of July 2009: Gateshead

So your sighting confirms that Thunderbird is still in the core area of the Lower Derwent Valley. I'll report this to the FoRK committee to pass on to the Monitoring Teams. But if you have time, please go to our FoRK website and send in this sighting.
June

Glad you had an enjoyable visit and were rewarded for your efforts of travelling from Hartlepool. You're right in that WT42 is Thunderbird. Here is what the Official Northern Kites Project says about him:

Thunderbird Wing Tag:42

Adopted by: Burnopfield Primary School, Durham

Male/Female: Male

Release Date:13th July 2005

Key Activities up to July 2009:

Since release, Thunderbird has spent the majority of his time in the lower Derwent valley and Barlow Burn. His preferred roosts have varied between Barlow and Sherburn Tower Farm at Rowlands Gill. He has been seen foraging and feeding in Barlow Burn and at the Burnhills SITA landfill site with several other kites. During May 2006 he was frequently recorded around the Gibside estate. He is still seen regularly around the Rowlands Gill area.

Thunderbird and WT54 (Fantastic Flying Fiona) were seen inspecting an old crows nest in early spring. They set up a territory and WT54 was first noted incubating during April 2007, however the nest was abandoned in early May.

Thunderbird remains in Gateshead and during the winter months has regularly been detected at the Gibside winter roost.

In spring 2008 Thunderbird and WT54 paired up again, however, they did not successfully raise any chicks.

On 9th October 2008, Thunderbird was seen roosting near Sherburn Towers housing estate in Rowlands Gill, Gateshead.

On 10th March 2009, Thunderbird was seen with partner WT54 investigating woodland in the lower Derwent valley area of Gateshead. On 30th March 2009, Thunderbird was seen feeding on a dead vole with WT54 in the Derwent Walk Country Park, Gateshead.

Location as of July 2009: Gateshead

So your sighting confirms that Thunderbird is still in the core area of the Lower Derwent Valley. I'll report this to the FoRK committee to pass on to the Monitoring Teams. But if you have time, please go to our FoRK website and send in this sighting.
June

thanks for that june i had a look at the website but couldnt find where you report sightings ?

ds

Reporting sightings

thanks for that june i had a look at the website but couldnt find where you report sightings ?

ds

Please go to our FoRK site and look on the Menu on the left-hand side of the page. You'll see "Contact us" It's on Page 9. Simply fill in your details and your sighting of WT42. Copy the Security Code which should be legible and send. This will come to either Ken Sanderson, Chairman or me,as we do the Website.
Any sightings are really important as now that many of our birds are dispersing, the Monitoring Teams appreciate any information which they can follow up.

Why not join FoRK (£8 a year for a household)? We'd love to see you and we value your input.

Link from FoRK to BF

Perhaps a link to Bf in your link section?

Yes, definitely, Steve. I suggested this at the very beginning, and am confident that one will go on. The main problem is that the link is not direct.... you have to go Forums/Birds of Prey/Red Kites.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=146481

Can we be confident that this link will work directly each time?

I'll put this on my Report for our Committee meeting this Monday.

Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Well, it worked well for me!

New Year Health Walks in the Lower Derwent Valley

Come and enjoy walking in Kite Country!

Health Walks

Following our successful programme of autumn health walks Friends of Red Kites have planned a further series of walks which will start in the New Year.

All walks will take place on Mondays and will start at 1.30pm

January 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th. Starts from B&Q car park, Swalwell - Grid ref. NZ 201 623

February 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd. Walks start from Winlaton Mill car park - Grid ref. NZ 186 608

March 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th. Starts from Stirling Lane car park, Rowlands Gill - Grid ref. NZ 166 581

April 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th. Shibdon Pond. Blaydon swimming pool car park - Grid ref. NZ 191 628

For more information contact Friends of Red Kites on 07790085659

Cost: FREE EVENT

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back