• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curlew sp. at Minsmere (4 Viewers)

Apparently Didier Vangeluwe says that SBC share more in common, genetically, with worms than they do with birds... err... I think ... so it must be SBC ... ?

marklhawkes said:
I doubt it will even be submitted now. Having been involved in a private email discussion with many of the key people involved in this bird, it appears that all have come to the conclusion that, although they dont' know what it is, it has too many anomolies to be regarded as a SBC.

I think that from day one there were doubts as to whether anyone would submit a record for this bird - which personally I think is a shame - worth recording what ever it is.

Personally when I saw it first I came away thinking it was sbc - however reading comments here and trawling through books has certainly highlighted some features that make sbc unlikely. I do not however feel comfortable with this bird being written off as just an odd curlew - seems far to different for this. The idea of orientalis seemed interesting until I read that these are always bigger, and have been unable to find anythink on the race that Tim has mentioned (anyone have any info?)

All the friends I've spoken to about this bird, whilst not being convinced it's sbc, seem sure it's not just ec either... as one put it - "whatever this bird is, it should change a lot of peoples thinking on curlew ID" - I know it's made me look a lot closer at a species I thought I was familiar with.

I find it interesting that there is talk of wanting to collect samples for dna analysis - that would suggest to me that this bird is of interest, even if we're not sure what it is.

I do hope it gets submitted. It deserves the detailed, objective assessment the BBRC would give it. The record might just get pended, but we might just end up finding out what the bird really is!

Hi Postie

apologies for reposting - i think i put something like this earlier on....

sushkini are closest known curlew to SBC phenotypically, large, pale, have white axilaries and wing linings, and are very poorly known (a handful of specimens)

Talking about making 'mistakes' does no one any good, although some of the pro-SBC posts were rather of the 'forceful' kind. Just think with the possible magnitude of it, combined with the lack of knowledge about SBC/Curlew forms and variation, the gun was jumped just a little bit, not by the finder though it must be said.

I have learned again the value of a good thorough set of field notes and field observation and the sometimes uselessness of photographs. Plus i had a great time o:) reading about Ushakov searching for SBC. Didn't enjoy clapping eyes on that thing with a mighty big hangover though....... :C

Tom: Thanks for your detailed reply to my queries. Comments below.

1) Why is the bill so thick and without the fine tip characteristic of SBC?
Subjective, but I would say it most certainly is NOT thick and has a very fine tip.

Agree I'm being subjective, but personally I thought the bill did look quite thick. Apart from that, the structure looked feasible. It was whimbrel rather than curlew that kept going through my head.

2) Why is the bill so extensively pinkish-brown (as mentioned above by Marek)?
I spoke to Jimmy Steele and this is not a problem and features in many of Vangeluwe's skin photos.

Good! Thanks.

3) Why is the mantle no darker than Eurasian Curlew?
Why should it be?
Perhaps my expectation was wrong. I was just going by what the BB paper said about SBC having a very dark mantle (IIRC - still at work at the mo). Maybe I've not allowed for the fact that they were assessing a bird with pale wing coverts, but I've seen pics showing some very solidly dark feather centres.

4) Why is there such a clear eye-ring?
Because that's what Slender-billed have. Check out John Harriman's pics from Morrocco and the 1968 French bird.
They were adults though. What about imms?

5) Why are the tertials and tail more closely barred than the Druridge bird?
No photos show the Druridge birds' tail well enough to make such comparison, but I don't see any difference in the tertials.
There are. Which photo it was that showed the tail I can't remember offhand, but I'll post when I've checked. Take a magnifying glass to the photo in the BB artisle and you can see the tertials clearly enough. The pattern's the same as the Minsmere bird, but the spacing is noticeably wider. Maybe it's within acceptable individual variation; I don't know - that's partly why I asked the question.

6) Why is the breast streaking so indistinct?
Individual variation?

I wonder. Again the impression I got from the article was that well-defined breast streaking is a feature of SBC. I'm not sure how much reliance to put on skins which suggest the opposite since skins are prone to becoming dirty/tatty.

7) Why is there such a dark ground colour to the breast?
I would say it has a very pale breast. Just asked 2 other people who also agree!

Hmm... Maybe just me then, but I still think it looks darker than the literature suggests it ought to.

My only doubt about this bird has always been that it certainly does look big. But even this is apparently okay.
Perversely, I didn't find this a problem. When I first saw the bird it was alongside a Curlew and I reckoned it was 20% smaller, which is within the accepted range - though I admit I find such percentages difficult to judge.

Rob Hutchinson said:
I would definitely echo the thoughs re. Bill Shape (Particularly the broad base) & colouration, I thought these where the main negative points on the bird, how do you think they compare to the photos on the link I post earlier however, look very similar to me.
Hi Rob. The bill of the Hungarian skin does look superficially much like the Minsmere bird's, but IMO that's because it's slightly open. I'd like to see it with its bill shut! As I said before I was very happy with the bill apart from the thickness and the colour. The colour seems to have been sorted now. If the SBC experts deem the thickness to be OK then I'll be more than happy to take their word for it - obviously.

Tim Allwood said:
Talking about making 'mistakes' does no one any good, although some of the pro-SBC posts were rather of the 'forceful' kind. Just think with the possible magnitude of it, combined with the lack of knowledge about SBC/Curlew forms and variation, the gun was jumped just a little bit, not by the finder though it must be said.

A couple of points:

1st) the last photo posted by Tim was taken by Tony Disley
2nd) mtDNA would (to the best of my knowledge) only provide the identification to one of the parents (the female i think), so this may not be as conclusive as people think. If it turns out to be a SBC, it could be a hybrid, or if its believed to be a EC, it could still be a hybrid!
3rd) Tim, your right that the finder didn't jump to a conclusion, however, i know of his current thinking on this issue, and you maybe surprised! Im not going to quote his email to me here, but i will await further info. Also, i think he took a neutral stand for political reasons, as well as being as confused as the rest of us.

Those still saying something like 'it's clearly a Eurasian Curlew' should take out a dictionary, and check the definition of 'clearly'.

marklhawkes said:
Tim, your right that the finder didn't jump to a conclusion, however, i know of his current thinking on this issue, and you maybe surprised!

Watcha Mark

betcha i wouldn't be suprised - 'current' 'thinking' is very fluid with this bird ;)

museum specimens labelled 'SBC' could do with a thorough grilling as could samples of all known subspecies/races/forms and any known hybrid specimens too (maybe a few hybrids could be discovered?) etc.... Collaboration with Russian scientists and museums is surely essential?

I'm sure there will be a major article or two on 'SBC' / Curlew / races/ hybrids / maybe even alboaxilaris Whimbrel included (God you have to be so careful how you phrase these things ;)) identification in the pipeline already.

And it's a timely reminder that what's currently in the books is perhaps a long way from the last word and an open mind is always useful. o:)

atb
Tim

Last edited:
Some more info from the Ukraine.

Dear Alexander Abuladze , I'd like to point out that
the observations of Slender billed Curlews on the
website referred to were made by well respected
Ukrainian professional ornithologists during a special
foreign funded survey for the species and that
continuing efforts have resulted in serious claims
from Ukraine's Black Sea coast for the autumns of
2002, 2003 and 2004.Sites where the species has been
claimed over the past four years include the Danube
Delta, Sivash, the Black Sea Nature Reserve, the
Molochniy Liman and, most frequently of all, the
Lebyazhyi Ostrova off northwest Crimea.The best month
seems to be September and there have been hardly any
spring claims.The only problem with all this is that,
as far as I know, there have been no published
descriptions showing how these birds were
identified.This deficiency may now have been
rectified, as the new edition of Branta ( no 6 ) has
an article on Curlews on the Black Sea coast and this
( I've been told) mentions Slender billed Curlews.As I
haven't obtained a copy yet I can't say whether any
descriptions are given here, but I will comment as
soon as I get my copy .The website of the Melitopol
Ornithological Station, mentioned below,
http://ornitology.narod.ru/ should have details about
how to obtain Branta. In general my feeling is that
some of these claims are probably genuine, but it's
best to wait for the desciptions.

All the best, Paul Bradbeer.

That is interesting - maybe not so extinct then. To claim a bird as extinct, esp. considering the HUGE potential breeing area SBC have to choose from, does seem to be 'jumping the gun'. If all the birders in Norfolk were told there was one 'somewhere' in the county, i doubt they could collectivley find it. The chances of a few scientists, searching an area bigger then England, seems long odds to me. Also, their known or suspected, wintering grounds are very underwatched (esp. Iran!). As a friend quoted to me recently, "Takahe (Porphyrio mantelli mantelli - from New Zealand) was thought to extict for some time, until rediscovered, and they're 'purple footballs'!"

I didn't go to see the 'curlew' - though I very nearly did so. What I found interesting is how different features looked on various photos. You've got to be so careful drawing conclusions from distant poorly focussed pictures. Frankly, I suspect if the current crop of photos (esp. from "magikbirds") had been available from the start then the SBC wouldn't have been seriuosly considered. A great debate and learning opportunity would have been lost though, John

I think it should be known - that not everyone is convinced of the age of this bird, im not naming names, and don't want the 'age debate' to start again, but some respected birders still think it's a juvenile, and they have good reasoning behind their theories too.

SBC found dead in Germany near Dutch border in 1998

From German Birdnet: D. Beckmann has digged out information that a possible SBC has been found dead in a barbed wire 5 Oct 1998 near the German Dutch border. The bird is said to be in a private collection in Switzerland. A photo can be found under
www.lauwersmeer.com
hidden under "waarnemingen".
Unfortunately, my browser does not let me see it, but I have been sent the image by D. Beckmann.

Attachments

• dunbekwulp.JPG
    dunbekwulp.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 218
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back