• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to keep water cool (1 Viewer)

MobiusX

I have a water and food feeder and change the water and food once a day. Today I was home all day and after a few hours I noticed the water was already warm and I am going to change it again later since its hot and I already have a weather dome so birds cant crap in the water. I was using a different water feeder before that was larger and they could bathe in it but that one got dirtier from bird crap fast so I switched to a smaller one. They still crap in it but less since they have less room to. I just pour it out and use the water hose when refilling it. I clean both the water and bird feeder with soap and water once a week. So the only problem I have is keeping the water clean from bird crap which is much less compared to the other water feeder and keeping the water cool throughout the day. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    133 KB · Views: 32
Not sure why you want the water to be cool all the time? In the midst of summer, I simply leave the end of a hose in mine, making the bath easy to flush out whenever indicated. It's inelegant, but effective, and I even use an approved food grade hose. A really dedicated person would arrange a buried hose or pipe water supply emerging invisibly from beneath the water level but I lack such ambition; Plus, where I live it would be frozen for about a third of the year- certainly pipes would be cracked by water expansion.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back