• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pink Blue Jay in Canada? (1 Viewer)

Wow, it looks as if there is no blue pigment what-so-ever. No that's not right is it? Is Blue in feathers produced by a pigment or by another mechanism?

I received the photo from a non-birder woman in Canada, I don't think there is any wish of cheating people. Let me ask again to be sure the photo is not second hand...

Cheers

With the hundreds of Blue Jays, maybe even thousands in all my years, I have never, ever seen anything like this.

That said, if it is a Photoshop image, then it is a damn fine job because I examined this blown up in size inch by inch and can't see any errors.

It's a "cut-out" - you let the software select all the blue for you, and replace it with pink. Unlike painting over by hand, there won't be any detectable errors.

The orginal is floating around the web in several copies, here's one:

http://www.talismancoins.com/catalog/Blue_Jay_on_Snowy_Wintry_Branch.jpg

I take back the part about "no detectable errors". If you look closely at the background, you can see that some faint blue tones within the grey shadows have also turned pink. The branch and breast actually seem bluer than before - perhaps he realized they looked too pink and tried to restore their original blueness, but overcompensated.

Last edited:
It's a "cut-out" - you let the software select all the blue for you, and replace it with pink. Unlike painting over by hand, there won't be any detectable errors.

Yes, easy enough to do, in a number of different applications ... the company I work for had something that does just this same thing, in any colour you want...

Far too bright a pink. Even in the case of mutations, this is too bright for this sort of bird IMO and considering the rest of the plumage is perfect.

Now if it was duller and browner, then it would be more convincing.

But yeah, original photo there proves it was a hoax.

Attachments

• bluejay.jpg
    bluejay.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
I asked the photographer, and this is a second hand photo. So no proof it is original...so the HOAX theory seems the best... sorry then!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back