• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringed Greylag Goose - London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
I'm still sorting through pictures that I took at the Reservoirs this morning, but I just noticed that this Greylag was ringed. Is it worth me reporting this? I ask because last time that I reported a ringed bird (BHG a few weeks ago) I heard nothing back.

No rush BTW, as I won't be back until later.|=)|
Thanks.

Attachments

• P1570843R.JPG
    P1570843R.JPG
    281.7 KB · Views: 112
  • P1570854R.JPG
    P1570854R.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 79
I'm still sorting through pictures that I took at the Reservoirs this morning, but I just noticed that this Greylag was ringed. Is it worth me reporting this? I ask because last time that I reported a ringed bird (BHG a few weeks ago) I heard nothing back.

No rush BTW, as I won't be back until later.|=)|
Thanks.

I would say it is always worth reporting any ringed bird. WSometimes it can take a while for the results to come back.

CB

Yeah report it Ken. Although ringers are supposed to send you details of any birds you report, in my experience though maybe a third never do. (Pretty daft really not collaborating with your collaborators.) Others may take a long time. At least by reporting it you've made whatever contribution you can.

Its the BTO that send back ringing information not ringers. When a ringer sends back his ringing information to the BTO there is likely to be several months to a years delay though this is speeding up. The BTO have a limited staff and they may have other duties than ringing\recoveries . A few years ago they had a heavy work load , high illness rates and had to draft in vol staff to help out. In addition if the bird was ringed abroad it can take years to get the information back. 8 years in the case of one wigeon. So you cannot expect an instant ringing reply. I think you were very unlucky not to have the information back for a third of your birds , perhaps it would be worth resubmitting the information with a note saying you had already send the info in the past.

Last edited:
Worth reporting Chris. Although you can say 'it's only a Greylag', with hundreds of semi feral ones about, this one has been ringed, so could be a 'wildie'. That makes it interesting.

Well I've reported it, but it was more luck than judgement. The report page is ridiculous, but I'm going to start a thread in the Ringing sub-forum rather than moan about here.

The only thing that I'm sure of is they have my email address, as I just got a confirmation of receipt email.

Just an update on this Greylag:

I've been in contact with someone (I don't like posting peoples' names unless absolutely necessary) from the BTO, and have been told that the Goose was ringed in Sevenoaks.

Anything further that I learn of the bird's history (Feral or Wild etc) I'll post in this thread; assuming that others here will be interested.

OK, for anyone who might be interested (is anyone interested?|=)|); I've just heard back about the Greylag.

The bird was ringed on 15/06/08 at Sevenoaks Wildfowl Reserve, Sevenoaks TQ5256 as a bird that hatched that year. Oh, and it's name is Fred (I just made that bit up |=)|).

I should add that from it's behaviour, I suspect it's a male; it's also found a mate.

Well i'm interested and sure others are too, its always interesting to find out info like this about birds.

Well i'm interested and sure others are too, its always interesting to find out info like this about birds.

I agree, it is quite interesting, Adam. I'm also wondering when it arrived at Walthamstow Reservoirs, where it now appears to be breeding.

I've found that I'm looking for ringed birds more than I used to, but I can't always get a good view of the ring (there's a ringed Canada Goose that I couldn't get a good view of).

I agree, it is quite interesting, Adam. I'm also wondering when it arrived at Walthamstow Reservoirs, where it now appears to be breeding.

I've found that I'm looking for ringed birds more than I used to, but I can't always get a good view of the ring (there's a ringed Canada Goose that I couldn't get a good view of).

Yeah its not easy getting a good enough look at rings on live birds except maybe the plastic neck rings sometimes used on geese.
I'm hoping i'll get a reply on the Oystercatcher ring i sent the details for earlier this week which i sadly only got because the bird was dead.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back