• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Headland that just keeps giving! (1 Viewer)

Thought I'd add to this as I am in Paphos and have been in the Archaeological Park the last two days. There's a flock of bee-eaters circuiting. Yesterday we saw Squacco Herons on the rocks by the harbour, Icterine Warbler and a Common Redstart which was also there today. Today we saw Yellow Wagtail, Tawny Pipit, Crag Martin, Isabelline Wheatear, Purple Heron, Spectacled Warbler and Cretzschmar's Bunting, with the Redstart still being around. Exploring other sites but will look in to this site again before we fly back.

David

I was in the Paphos Archaeology Park on Thursday and saw a smallish Bunting with a green head sitting in the top of a small cypress on the track between the visitor centre and the Agora. I am stumped. The body was grey-brown and rather unremarkable and the bill was small. The head was light green and I couldn't make out much in the way of markings in the strong light. It sat in the cypress for a few minutes but it dropped down and I lost it. No photographs. If it's what I suspect it is then isn't that rather rare for Cyprus?

David

I was in the Paphos Archaeology Park on Thursday and saw a smallish Bunting with a green head sitting in the top of a small cypress on the track between the visitor centre and the Agora. I am stumped. The body was grey-brown and rather unremarkable and the bill was small. The head was light green and I couldn't make out much in the way of markings in the strong light. It sat in the cypress for a few minutes but it dropped down and I lost it. No photographs. If it's what I suspect it is then isn't that rather rare for Cyprus?

David

Looks like you're having a great time David, Crag Martin and Icterine I need for the Island, as for the Bunting what are you thinking? FWIW I've had Olve-backed Pipit and White-throated Robin anything (within reason) is possible....they have wings!

Cheers

Last edited:

David

I assume you're thinking Cinereous Bunting which is a possibility at this time of year!

Shane

Looks like you're having a great time David, Crag Martin and Icterine I need for the Island, as for the Bunting what are you thinking? FWIW I've had Olve-backed Pipit and White-throated Robin anything (within reason) is possible....they have wings!

Cheers[/QUOTE

Ken

Thanks Apusapus has it below, I am sure it was a Cinereous Bunting. We pick up a hire car today so will explore a few other areas.

David

First day with the car, went up to Asprokemmo Dam, flushed a Chukar, saw a couple of Cyprus Wheatears while bee-eaters were everywhere. Nearby I saw a male Marsh Harrier overhead being mobbed by Jackdaws. We also saw an Alpine Swift at Aspro dam but the "pools" were as dry as sawdust.

David

First day with the car, went up to Asprokemmo Dam, flushed a Chukar, saw a couple of Cyprus Wheatears while bee-eaters were everywhere. Nearby I saw a male Marsh Harrier overhead being mobbed by Jackdaws. We also saw an Alpine Swift at Aspro dam but the "pools" were as dry as sawdust.

David

I've not "seen" Bee-Eaters on my visits to the headland, however I've heard them twice (in 4 visits) passing over quite high. I suspect that early April...is just too early for the main passage, were they relatively low down at the Dam.. David?

Cheers

Ken

We've had good numbers of bee-eaters every day. They were flying in off at Aphrodite's Birthplace yesterday and they were in the air, on wires and on the ground at the dam.

David

David

Ortolan Bunting ?

Went to Kensington Cliffs this afternoon, Eleanora's Falcons and Alpine Swifts really easy at the site described in Gosney with Peregrine seen too. Then back to Asprokemmos Dam where a wrong turn produced a Roller being mobbed by a Magpie at the foot of the Diarizos Valley. We then corrected and got another Eleanora's at the Dam and quite a few Chukars at the quarry at the eastern end of the Dam. We had narrowly avoided running one over in the Sovereign Base too. We heard bee-eater at the Dam but this was the first time we'd failed to see them.

David

Last edited:
Went to Kensington Cliffs this afternoon, Eleanora's Falcons and Alpine Swifts really easy at the site described in Gosney with Peregrine seen too. Then back to Asprokemmos Dam where a wrong turn produced a Roller being mobbed by a Magpie at the foot of the Diarizos Valley. We then corrected and got another Eleanora's at the Dam and quite a few Chukars at the quarry at the eastern end of the Dam. We had narrowly avoided running no one over in the Sovereign Base too. We heard bee-eater at the Dam but this was the first time we'd failed to see them.

David

Yes!...Eleanora's and Roller, two more species I need for the Island, will have to "get out more" next time I'm in Paphos. :t:

Went to Kensington Cliffs this afternoon, Eleanora's Falcons and Alpine Swifts really easy at the site described in Gosney with Peregrine seen too. Then back to Asprokemmos Dam where a wrong turn produced a Roller being mobbed by a Magpie at the foot of the Diarizos Valley. We then corrected and got another Eleanora's at the Dam and quite a few Chukars at the quarry at the eastern end of the Dam. We had narrowly avoided running one over in the Sovereign Base too. We heard bee-eater at the Dam but this was the first time we'd failed to see them.

David

Just to let you know David, there was a Cinereous Bunting seen & photographed 30 March on Paphos Headland!

Shane

Last day with the car. There's a male Red-footed Falcon hanging about on wires between Paphos and Achleia, we've seen it today and yesterday, while a Lesser Kestrel was seen near Kouklia. It was really hot today, 30C, and we saw another Eleanora's Falcon at Asprokemmos Dam as well as a European Roller there. We also saw a roadkill Roller near Nata, sadly. Home tomorrow.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back