• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery nest Ontario (1 Viewer)

Byronix

Interesting discussion on Twitter about this apparent animal nest in a cottage in Ontario. No agreement even on whether it is made by a bird, mammal or invertebrate! Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 21
Interesting discussion on Twitter about this apparent animal nest in a cottage in Ontario. No agreement even on whether it is made by a bird, mammal or invertebrate! Any ideas?

It has an entry hole of less than half an inch diameter, which pretty much lets out any NA bird I know of. Nor do mammals glue their nest to the ceiling, so that leaves invertebrates, probably some sort of pupae case, perhaps for a big moth.
When someone comes up with the actual answer, please tell us.

Popular theory is that it is a field mouse nest made with some kind of home insulation, though I agree it's weird that it is attached like that. No consensus yet.

Popular theory is that it is a field mouse nest made with some kind of home insulation, though I agree it's weird that it is attached like that. No consensus yet.

Weird indeed.
Apart maybe from dormice, not found in NA, mice don't usually hang nests. Plus this nest looks glued on, not hanging from straws and threads.

Maybe the finder will take it down and bring it to a museum or biology researcher for a definitive answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back