• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I've succumbed to tripod "overkill" (1 Viewer)

Thanks for all the advice regarding marking the legs. Suffice to say I have left them alone at present and seem to be coping fine.

I've had it out in the field a couple of times now and am really appreciating the extra stability. The first occasion involved a near 4 mile trek (round trip), for a Red-backed Shrike and I certainly noticed the extra weight, but I can support it on my Scopac with my hands under the rubber feet to a certain extent. This could be a strong reason for not getting spiked feet. The Shrike showed well and although it wasn't particularly blowy for Breydon Water I definitely felt more relaxed about the possibility of the scope toppling over.

Today saw a trip to Minsmere and I'm now starting to wonder how I managed with my old tripod. It's just so much better to have a decent tripod which is stable and you know won't blow over. I think the weight is less of an issue here too and in general most of my birding doesn't involve lugging a tripod/scope combo miles, so I think it will be manageable.

One issue did arise though. I can no longer fit the tripod and scope combo in the back of my friends boot. It's just too long. Now I think about it I'm not sure the tripod on it's own fits. Fortunately it fits in my boot okay. Those VW Polo boots are a bit pokey!

Thanks for all the advice regarding marking the legs. Suffice to say I have left them alone at present and seem to be coping fine.

I've had it out in the field a couple of times now and am really appreciating the extra stability. The first occasion involved a near 4 mile trek (round trip), for a Red-backed Shrike and I certainly noticed the extra weight, but I can support it on my Scopac with my hands under the rubber feet to a certain extent. This could be a strong reason for not getting spiked feet. The Shrike showed well and although it wasn't particularly blowy for Breydon Water I definitely felt more relaxed about the possibility of the scope toppling over.

Today saw a trip to Minsmere and I'm now starting to wonder how I managed with my old tripod. It's just so much better to have a decent tripod which is stable and you know won't blow over. I think the weight is less of an issue here too and in general most of my birding doesn't involve lugging a tripod/scope combo miles, so I think it will be manageable.

One issue did arise though. I can no longer fit the tripod and scope combo in the back of my friends boot. It's just too long. Now I think about it I'm not sure the tripod on it's own fits. Fortunately it fits in my boot okay. Those VW Polo boots are a bit pokey!
Exactly why i came up with Tippex! A lot of Waveney Bird Club foreign trips, in and out of a minibus at various birding spots; collapse the tripod legs, then extending the lower two sections fully and the top section to the Tippex mark and voila! Perfect height for me in seconds....

Fortunately it fits in my boot okay. Those VW Polo boots are a bit pokey!

Tell him he should have bought a Skoda Rapid! Same floorpan, engines, gearboxes and fewer quality issues - oh yes cheaper too. Pity about the bouncy suspension but nothing is perfect! Mine takes 4 TOGS + all their wildlife photography gear (4+ 500mm + lenses) with ease - pretty economical too!

When I look at a car I make sure it has a decent boot and then see what the boot is attached to!;)

Just mucking about! Glad to hear you tripod is working well!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back