• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (44 Viewers)

A cracking few hours at the reserve. From concrete hide this evening saw black tern perched on the rails , 5 Spoonbills, little egret, heard water rail and cettis warbler. 8 snipe , green sand common sand , blackwit, a kingfisher perched on post plus good numbers of duck and geese including wigeon 2, Gadwall 40 Shoveler several teal, all in less than an hour.

Then an hour at the Flashes with JOHN R we had 3 adult yellow legged gulls. Common Gull 3rd winter. BHG 750. LBBG 240. Herring Gull 15. On way back a Tawny owl called from the large elder tree next to the bridge.

Many thanks to John Stroud and his wife for finding the Spoonbills and ringing me immediately . This enables me to text everyone in good time to see the birds . B :)
Also thanks to all the members for their impecable behaviour allowing everyone yo have a good afternoon with the birds. Although I could do with a car park attendant's hat.B :) john

Juvenile Black Tern also still present at the Moors Pool as per Andy A.

Also Black-tailed Godwit, Green Sand, Pochard, 3 Wigeon and 10+ Snipe.

Last edited:
The current party of Spoonbill is the fifth record for the reserve following:

11th April 1988 - an adult flew into the Flashes and spent 30 minutes on the ground before flying off north
22nd May 2010 - one approached the Moors Pool from the north before veering off to the west; what was presumably the same bird was seen later over Wagon Wheel Lane, Grimley
22nd April 2011 - one flew into the Flashes over the Hen Pool and spent 30 minutes mainly resting before flying off
16th May 2011 - one spent an hour at the Flashes before heading off west

Greenshank and Avocet at the Flashes as per Andy A.

Black Tern now at the Sailing Pool as per Andy P.

Last edited:
Yes John they took a flight around the southern end of the Moors about 10 then off towards the flashes....thought better about it and came back to their original place in front of the east hide ( not too close though )....a totally awesome sight to see.
Still there when I left for flashes at 11 and with the rain they may stay quite a bit longer...not good long distance flying conditions...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back