• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (16 Viewers)

Well you can (unfortunately) forget our 11-times banker the Cetti's. Essentially, we need to connect with the <5 brigade...

See you all tomorrow, gang.

SJV

I asked Gavo to try and sneak a pair back from Newport today if possible.8-P

Seriously, lets hope they find us again soon. I will be over very early ( for me) tomorrow. Here's to a good one !!

nighty night B :)

Fully expect to be absolutely slaughtered by Belvide tomorrow; below is Steve N's update from there of today's sightings:-

"A male Stonechat below the dam was the first of the year, also 1 Whinchat and 4+ Spotted Flycatcher were present. The Knot was still at the west end, also 3 Ruff, 1 Greenshank, 1 Dunlin, 1 Common Sandpiper, 2 LRP and 1 Snipe were noted. 20 Shoveler, 2 Wigeon and 3 Shelduck were counted.
Just down the road at Gailey, a juvenile White Winged Black Tern was showing well with 4 Black Tern and an adult Little Gull."

Final weather forecast for tomorrow:

Clear overnight with a sunny start; temperature rising to 21C on warm SSW winds. The day will increasing cloud over with significant coverage by mid afternoon and light rain by evening; hopefully something might be tempted to drop into the roost.

Final weather forecast for tomorrow:

Clear overnight with a sunny start; temperature rising to 21C on warm SSW winds. The day will increasing cloud over with significant coverage by mid afternoon and light rain by evening; hopefully something might be tempted to drop into the roost.
You're talking us down Phil, be positive , or is your double bluff, to fool Steve:smoke:
we will see in the next 17hours:t:
I think we will have a surprise or two;) we will just have to work a bit harder, keep checking those bushes boss.
4.05 I'm off now see you in a bit

Last edited:
You're talking us down Phil, be positive , or is your double bluff, to fool Steve:smoke:
we will see in the next 17hours:t:
I think we will have a surprise or two;) we will just have to work a bit harder, keep checking those bushes boss.
4.05 I'm off now see you in a bit

Bins and scope - check
Coffee and cake - check
Fully charged mobile - check
Big peice of paper to write all today's sightings - check

LET'S BIRD AND BIRD HARD!!

I'm running late, did'nt get back until late last night, so will arrive when ready.

Oh! had three Cetti's yesterday at Newport Wetlands well chuffed 8-P

Highlights so far - Redstart, Wheatear, Barnacle Goose and Black Tern - but best of all, Cetti's Warbler - which I actually managed to see on the north moors. That puts me on 139 for the year.

Cetti's Warbler

That is such good news that Cetti's has reappeared at Upton. I wonder if a first year bird could be singing or if this would be a wandering adult?

Quality rather than quantity today.. Wheatear,Black Tern,Barnacle Goose (UW 1st) Great Views of Hobby on North moors, oh and one of those Cetti's 8-P.

Company wore t'bad either :t:

Last edited:
Spent 5 hours at the moors, didnt bother with the flashes.
Juv Black Tern
Juv Common Tern
Hobby Through
Barnacle Goose
And spent 2 1/2 hours staring at reeds with nothing in them for the Cetti's:-C
Photo's of BLK tern to follow somtime :)
MB

Autumn All-Day Birdwatch

Just back from completing the autumn All-Dayer; the reserve was covered from approx 4:20am to 8:20pm with a total of 78 species recorded, about average for this event. No doubt the water level at the Flashes robbed us of potentially between 4 and 6 species of wader. Highlights were:

FLASHES
13 Green Sand and c50 Teal at dawn, female Wheatear in the transmitter field mid morning, 2 Wheatears (m+f) on 2nd flash early afternoon, 1+ Redstart in hedgerow (first ever record on an Autumn All-Dayer), small numbers of Rook, Grey Wagtail over.

MOORS
Juv Common Tern, juv Black Tern, Barnacle Goose (first ever record on an Autumn All-Dayer), 5 Pochard, 18 Tufted D, 1 Gadwall, 7 Shoveler, 10 Teal, 3 Common Sand, Hobby, 8 Grey Heron, 5 GC Grebe, 1 Little Grebe, 6 Cormorant, 8 Grey Heron, Water Rail, Tawny Owl calling at dawn, Meadow Pipit over.

However the undoubted pinnacle was the return of Cetti's Warbler with an elusive male present on the North Moors, the first record since the severe weather in December / January. Hopefully its recolonisation of Upton will not take as long as first feared.

Many thanks to all the participants who helped make the day (as with all All-Dayers) special: Woodchat, Woodwolf, Gertatron, UW82, Upstarts, Spoonbill Finder, Gavo, Wheatearlrp, PeterE, Binus, Midlands Birder, Sy V, Beyonder, Jared T, Dave J, Rob P, Andy W, Terry N, Brian S, Terry H, John C, Paul A, John R, Mike Y, Phil Q, Alan R and anyone else I may have missed / not recognised.

The full species run-down is as follows:-

Mute Swan, Canada Goose, Barnacle Goose, Mallard, Shoveler, Gadwall, Teal. Pochard, Tufted D, GC Grebe, Little Grebe, Coot, Moorhen, Water Rail, Grey Heron, Cormorant, Buzzard, Hobby, Kestrel, Peregrine, Sparrowhawk, Pheasant, Lapwing, Green Sand, Common Sand, Curlew, BH Gull, LBB Gull, Herring Gull, Black Tern, Common Tern, Tawny Owl, Wood Pigeon, Stock Dove, Collared Dove, Feral Pigeon, Green Woodpecker, GS Woodpecker, Kingfisher, Swallow, House Martin, Sand Martin, Meadow Pipit, Pied Wagtail, Grey Wagtail, Wheatear, Redstart, Robin, Dunnock, Wren, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Blackcap, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Cetti's Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Blue Tit, Great Tit, LT Tit, Treecreeper, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jay, Jackdaw, Magpie, Starling, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Reed Bunting.

Congratulations to Steve Nuttall and the Belvide crew on reaching 90 for the day.

BRING ON THE NEXT ALL-DAY BIRDWATCH IN 8 MONTHS TIME!!

PS Late news for yesterday (Friday 2nd) - an immature Little Gull was present on the Sailing Pool at 7:45am

Last edited:
Just back from completing the autumn All-Dayer; the reserve was covered from approx 4:20am to 8:20pm with a total of 78 species recorded, about average for this event. No doubt the water level at the Flashes robbed us of potentially between 4 and 6 species of wader. Highlights were:

FLASHES
13 Green Sand and c50 Teal at dawn, female Wheatear in the transmitter field mid morning, 2 Wheatears (m+f) on 2nd flash early afternoon, 1+ Redstart in hedgerow (first ever record on an Autumn All-Dayer), small numbers of Rook, Grey Wagtail over.

MOORS
Juv Common Tern, juv Black Tern, Barnacle Goose (first ever record on an Autumn All-Dayer), 5 Pochard, 18 Tufted D, 1 Gadwall, 7 Shoveler, 10 Teal, 3 Common Sand, Hobby, 8 Grey Heron, 5 GC Grebe, 1 Little Grebe, 6 Cormorant, 8 Grey Heron, Water Rail, Tawny Owl calling at dawn, Meadow Pipit over.

However the undoubted pinnacle was the return of Cetti's Warbler with an elusive male present on the North Moors, the first record since the severe weather in December / January. Hopefully its recolonisation of Upton will not take as long as first feared.

Many thanks to all the participants who helped make the day (as with all All-Dayers) special: Woodchat, Woodwolf, Gertatron, UW82, Upstarts, Spoonbill Finder, Gavo, Wheatearlrp, PeterE, Binus, Midlands Birder, Sy V, Beyonder, Jared T, Dave J, Rob P, Andy W, Terry N, Brian S, Terry H, John C, Paul A, John R, Mike Y, Phil Q, Alan R and anyone else I may have missed / not recognised.

Also Ray C and Glenn H

Last edited:
Hi all,
Here are the 90 species that were recorded at Belvide today. 1 Mute Swan, 2 Greylag Goose, 3 Canada Goose, 4 Shelduck, 5 Mandarin, 6 Wigeon, 7 Gadwall, 8 Teal, 9 Mallard, 10 Shoveler, 11 Tufted Duck, 12 Pheasant, 13 Cormorant, 14 Grey Heron, 15 Little Grebe, 16 GC Grebe, 17 Sparrowhawk, 18 Buzzard, 19 Kestrel, 20 Hobby, 21 Water Rail, 22 Moorhen, 23 Coot, 24 LRP, 25 Lapwing, 26 Knot, 27 Dunlin, 28 Ruff, 29 Snipe, 30 Greenshank, 31 Green Sand, 32 Common Sand, 33 BH Gull, 34 Little Gull, 35 Med Gull, 36 LBB Gull, 37 Herring Gull, 38 Feral Pigeon, 39 Stock Dove, 40 Wood Pigeon, 41 Collared Dove, 42 Little Owl, 43 Swift, 44 Kingfisher, 45 Green Woodpecker, 46 GS Woodpecker, 47 Jay, 48 Magpie, 49 Jackdaw,50 Rook, 51 Crow, 52 Raven, 53 Goldcrest, 54 Blue Tit, 55 Great Tit, 56 Coal Tit, 57 Marsh Tit, 58 Willow Tit, 59 Sand Martin, 60 Swallow, 61 House Martin, 62 LT Tit, 63 Chiffchaff, 64 Willow Warbler, 65 Blackcap, 66 Lesser Whitethroat, 67 Whitethroat, 68 Sedge Warbler, 69 Reed Warbler, 70 Nuthatch, 71 Treecreeper, 72 Wren, 73 Starling, 74 Blackbird, 75 Spotted Flycatcher, 76 Robin, 77 Redstart, 78 Wheatear, 79 Dunnock, 80 Tree Sparrow, 81 Yellow Wagtail, 82 Pied Wagtail, 83 Meadow Pipit, 84 Chaffinch, 85 Greenfinch, 86 Goldfinch, 87 Linnet, 88 Bullfinch, 89 Yellowhammer, 90 Reed Bunting.
Thanks again for the friendly rivalry and I'll look forwarg to doing it all again in May:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back