• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marshside- RSPB-At its Best. (1 Viewer)

pauco

Старлин&
Set of for a morning at marshside-RSPB,took the scenic route
out of leyland, the main back road is called cocker bar lane,
and is open fields very rare these days.anyway i had gone about 2 miles when i
caught sight of movment out of the corner of my eye, it was very quite on the
road so pulled over stopped, and what a lovely sight! one Barn owl flying up and
down the hedgerows, watched for about 5 mins and thought is this a good omen
for the rest of the morning? set of feeling on a real high. got to Marshside 9am.
I don`t think that i have ever had such a good day at this sight, first hide
called nells hide.
Blackheaded gulls.
to many to count.
4 Lesser blackbacked.
1 herring gull.
Lapwings again far to many to count.
Teal 100+
Pintail 10.
Wigeon 20+
poachard 30+
1 Pair Tufted ducks.
Mallards in very good numbers.
Shellducks 30.
Black-tailed Godwits 12.
Redshank 4.
Common-Snipe 2.
Cormorants 6.
Female reed-Bunting 1.
Male Stonechat 1.
Now the Real Icing on the cake.
Raptors.
Shorteared owls 3.
Hen-Harriers 2.
Merlin 1.
Sparrowhawk 1.
Kestrel 1.
Peregrine 1.
As I said it is the best morning that i have ever had on this site, and just goes to show, conditions and luck help. the weather was dull, cold, with slight wind.
Also there were 3 coaches there, 1 from Cockermouth, 1 from Rochdale, the other not sure. but from the conversation they were all on a high. I just hope they all got as much enjoyment out of it as I did. :bounce:
bert.

Hi Bert - looks a pretty good day to me - if I'd seen all those birds I would have thought I was in heaven!! Had to Google to track down Marshside and find it is near areas where I used to cycle 50 years ago (lived in Thornton L23). I reckon it will have changed a lot since then? :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back