• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Favourite Bird Artist (1 Viewer)

There are a lot of names that have come up but it's surprising that while so many Ennion fans have come forward, John Busby has been left out. The works of both are phenomenal for the pure spirit of the birds portrayed with what seems such little effort.
Other artists I admire greatly that follow in the same vein are David Bennet, James McCallum and Darren Woodhead.

Have to say I'm much more a fan of field painting for the pure rawness of it. Its charm is the fact that it's unconsidered and spontaneous, therefore a pure expression.

Nick Derry

Swissboy said:
At least, many of the names mentioned I have never heard of before. So I start with one of my UK favorites: Alan Harris. I know him only as a FG illustrator, but there, I highly appreciate the way he draws as well as the arrangements on a page. Fortunately, I have been able to get several of his originals with four of them gracing walls in my home.
I think I was Alan's first paying customer. When we were around 11 or 12 years old I paid him to paint a Tawney Owl for my mother's birthday. It's still hanging on a wall thirty-something years later.

as time goes by I really do like more and more some of Lars Jonssons work. Watching him on the DVD Ten days to paint the forest you realise just how good the guy is.

Cley Spy had some stuff in there gallery that I was CONVINCED was a photo!! It was stunning.

pduxon said:
Cley Spy had some stuff in there gallery that I was CONVINCED was a photo!! It was stunning.

I'd guess you're referring to work by Adrian Smart - some of his work is amazingly life like.

jomo said:
Hands down is Chris Bacon as my favourite. I am continuously blown away by this guy's work, particularly his new stuff.

www.chrisbacon.com if you want a look.

He's pretty fantastic technically, although some of the compositions aren't to my liking. That's the problem with a lot of bird art as art though - it tends to look like it would be at home in a nice pub or a grand house, but you can't really imagine it in your living room.

I also think Guy Taplin does brilliant representations in wood. Colin See-Paynton for woodcuts which are amazing. He doesnt seem to have a website but google his name. A friend of my sisters called Andrew Stock. My grandfather gave me an original Thorburn of a Peregrine as a birth present in 1962 as one of my names is Peregrine! As well he gave me a copy of Thorburns Birds by James Fisher when I was five.( Very nice grandfather and the person who introduced me to birding.)

I think Lars Jonsson is absolutely amazing, he can capture both an atmospheric bird landscape type painting and great portraits. He illustrated the whole of The Birds of Europe with North Africa and the Middle East. Not to mention writing it all too. He is a legend.

Alan Harris is my favourite to....not only because he is my dad, but because when you look st the art you really feel you are 'there'. They look so real. Especially as for some paintings i was there when he got the idea!!!! haha. But i guess my opinion is going to be abit bias!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back