• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Filter for APO 77 (1 Viewer)

chordstrummer

Hello all.

I recently bought a Nikon filter for my scope but it makes the image blurry- so much so I thought there was something wrong with the scope until I remembered the new filter and breathed a sigh of relief. Can anyone recommend filters which are compatible please as I'm wanting to protect the objective from mishaps during use and transit?

As an aside, what makes one filter blurry and another compatible besides quality of the glass?

Thanks in anticipation.

placing a flat glass filter in front of an optic lens on the front of a scope or camera will often affect the image quality adversely and I have learnt my lessons from when I first obtained a good lens and did just this. The images were ghosted and pretty much fit for deletion only once viewed back on the PC
The advice I took at the time was to take care of my lens using caps and hoods but not to use filters.

I use a UV filter from B+W, and I really don't see much difference with it vs. without it.
The only significant issue I ran into was increased stray-light sensitivity (which can easily be sorted out).

If I'm not mistaken it's this one: https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=992&IID=3918
(Although I would not recommend the slim version if you want to use the original lens cap)

I also have a Kenko Pro1 digital, which was considerably cheaper than the B+W, and that works very well too considering its price.

-

However, looking through "standard" window glass of the older kind with the scope results in a more or less useless image.
But I guess there is a reason why most optical instruments are not made from cheap window glass :king:

Last edited:
Hi Robin. I have managed to fit compatible filters to other scopes and there was no discernible deterioration of image quality. I am keen to fit one to my scope not least because I once purchased one with a dent in the body from the previous owner dropping it. The objective was fine having been saved from damage by a lens filter.

Another reason I like one in place is when I'm cleaning/ wiping off rain from the objective lens I don't have to worry about producing scratches and the like- I can quickly clean the lens and get on with birding. It's an extra layer of protection when the scope is in transit/storage and when sharing a hide should someone whack the scope with a tripod etc or drop it. An objective lens is expensive whilst a filter is pennies in comparison. I'm surprised more scope owners seem not to use them.

Thanks for the recommendations of filter types I'll follow them up.

BTW I think the Nikon lens filter is fake/faulty- I'm tending towards the former especially as the seller refunded quickly no questions asked and didn't even want it back. I held it in front of two other scopes and it produced the same blurry or distorted images. I think I can confirm window glass is very poor for optics!

Anyone know of the existence of faulty Nikon filters?

BTW I think the Nikon lens filter is fake/faulty- I'm tending towards the former especially as the seller refunded quickly no questions asked and didn't even want it back. I held it in front of two other scopes and it produced the same blurry or distorted images. I think I can confirm window glass is very poor for optics!

Anyone know of the existence of faulty Nikon filters?

Many similar stories on the web of fake filters from Hoya etc, so why not Nikon? It's a 'prestige' brand that would be worth faking for those wanting to make a fast buck. I've used a (genuine) Hoya filter on my scope objective from the outset with no detrimental effects; the benefits are well worth it.

Didn't realise cheaper end filters were being faked. Thinking of sealing a filter it onto the scope temporarily with self amalgamating or insulation tape to keep the rain out, on really wet days I've had the rain seep through onto the objective. Must have seeped through via the threads.

Many similar stories on the web of fake filters from Hoya etc, so why not Nikon? It's a 'prestige' brand that would be worth faking for those wanting to make a fast buck. I've used a (genuine) Hoya filter on my scope objective from the outset with no detrimental effects; the benefits are well worth it.

Hi Rotherbirder,
I've had no end of trouble trying to find a suitable filter. Could you tell me which Hoya filter you use on your 77 and does the sun shield pull out OK over it? I've sent you a PM in case you don't read this thread again. Thanks.

Didn't realise cheaper end filters were being faked. Thinking of sealing a filter it onto the scope temporarily with self amalgamating or insulation tape to keep the rain out, on really wet days I've had the rain seep through onto the objective. Must have seeped through via the threads.

The tape idea is a good one. Certainly I too have had trouble with moisture accumulating behind the filter on my scope in wet conditions.
I subsequently ditched the filter in favor of a deep hood, which unfortunately does add to the bulk. A sealed filter might be a better alternative.

The tape idea is a good one. Certainly I too have had trouble with moisture accumulating behind the filter on my scope in wet conditions.
I subsequently ditched the filter in favor of a deep hood, which unfortunately does add to the bulk. A sealed filter might be a better alternative.

Trouble is getting to the filter once it's attached. The hood is in the way so I can't wrap tape around the filter. I don't think the Leica hood is detachable. Does anyone know otherwise?

Etudiant, I too find the hood useful in rainy conditions. The Leica hood is quite deep. I feel a lot more confident using my scope with a filter on though. A scratch on a filter or a cracked filter is no big deal but consider the same on a lens objective. Another consideration being the amount of times my case cover has opened in transit leaving the objective exposed.
That said, anyone buying a lens filter be very cautious. In my experience it seems there are a lot of fakes on the market and some higher end manufacturers seem to have terrible to nonexistent quality control and leave the glass loose in the housing.

Hi,
I used also a filter on a Leica APO 77. I cannot see any difference sith/without.
It is maybe as it is a genuine UVa Leica Make? (and not any adaptable filter).
Any thoughts?
Regards
Yves

Hi Yves. Yes the compatibility of your Leica filter may be because it is Leica.
I am considering buying a Leica filter because everything else i try gives a blurry image.
I cannot explain why a Leica filter should be compatible and others are not. Perhaps someone else could offer an explanation?
I should add that others have found non Leica filters to be compatible with their apo scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back