• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owners: How Are Your Leica Noctivids Serving You?! (2 Viewers)

Traoubadoris would heartily agree with you Mike. Anyhows if you ever do find yourself back in the UK and have some time available, I would be delighted to meet you someplace along with SF 8x and 10x and maybe one or two others for you to try out. In the meantime enjoy your Leicas.

Lee

Thanks for the kind offer Lee! Certainly the next time I'm over in dear ol' Blighty I'll let you know and see if we can meet up! šŸ‘šŸ˜€

Traoubadoris would heartily agree with you Mike. Anyhows if you ever do find yourself back in the UK and have some time available, I would be delighted to meet you someplace along with SF 8x and 10x and maybe one or two others for you to try out. In the meantime enjoy your Leicas.

Lee

Well, ā€˜compression setā€™ is new to me cheers for that.

Lee, I fear I may have previously mistakenly called you by the name Trabadouris a few times but realise that is indeed Mrs Trabadour. So Iā€™ve got Lee, Trabadour, Trabadouris and an avatar of a beaver like creature...

Iā€™ve only tried the SF for an hour or so and it was very very hard for me to fault in any way under the circumstances. At this level weā€™re really whittling things down to small personal preferences...ergonomics and that image aesthetic...that X factor which can be difficult to articulate...FOV perhaps.

Regarding FOV, Iā€™m wondering if Leica havenā€™t understated their 8x42 NV FOV a touch...using rough measurements itā€™s looking fairly similar to my Zeiss 7x42.

Also, generally speaking - I feel there is an unavoidable element of wasted collective sharing and experience which we otherwise have to articulate in our own words. It can be both enjoyable and rewarding to share equipment around. If it wasnā€™t for my utter isolation, postage and its associated risks and hassle, Iā€™d happily hand out binoculars for others to experience. Itā€™s somthing Iā€™ve pondered.

You can call me an idiot, but I have no doubt whatsoever...I would trust just about all of the forum members Iā€™ve come across in these particular threads with my binoculars. Theyā€™d probably take better care of them than I do.:-O

Well, ā€˜compression setā€™ is new to me cheers for that.

Lee, I fear I may have previously mistakenly called you by the name Trabadouris a few times but realise that is indeed Mrs Trabadour. So Iā€™ve got Lee, Trabadour, Trabadouris and an avatar of a beaver like creature...

Iā€™ve only tried the SF for an hour or so and it was very very hard for me to fault in any way under the circumstances. At this level weā€™re really whittling things down to small personal preferences...ergonomics and that image aesthetic...that X factor which can be difficult to articulate...FOV perhaps.

Regarding FOV, Iā€™m wondering if Leica havenā€™t understated their 8x42 NV FOV a touch...using rough measurements itā€™s looking fairly similar to my Zeiss 7x42.

Also, generally speaking - I feel there is an unavoidable element of wasted collective sharing and experience which we otherwise have to articulate in our own words. It can be both enjoyable and rewarding to share equipment around. If it wasnā€™t for my utter isolation, postage and its associated risks and hassle, Iā€™d happily hand out binoculars for others to experience. Itā€™s somthing Iā€™ve pondered.

You can call me an idiot, but I have no doubt whatsoever...I would trust just about all of the forum members Iā€™ve come across in these particular threads with my binoculars. Theyā€™d probably take better care of them than I do.:-O

Many years ago my Mrs used to call me Trooubadour for reasons best not delved into on here. When choosing a name for use here i decided to change the spelling to Troubador in order that I could call my Mrs Troubadoris, Doris being an old fashioned and humorous kind of name and one which frequently crops up as part of the scientific names of the nudibranch molluscs that interest us. So this is probably more info than you were expecting and leads me to point out that I am Troubador ( with no u near the end) and my good lady is Troubadoris. But since we are pals, Lee will do quite nicely thank you.

Lee

Fairly recent NVD review by Outdoor Life tops their list.

Lecia Noctivid 10X42, Nathaniel Welch
This mechanically elegant and supremely bright 10x42 is among the finest hunting optics weā€™ve ever tested, every bit as good as Editorā€™s Choice binoculars from previous years, including Zeissā€™ Victory HT, Swarovskiā€™s EL, and the Trinovid HD, also from Leica.

Inside the lustrous black chassis of the Noctivid is a ton of sophisticated optical technology, including high-transmission Schott glass and plasma-coated lenses. The fluid precision of the mechanical parts of the Leicaā€”the positive, locking eyecups; the smooth and exacting focus wheel; and the locking center-dial diopter controlā€”made this the favorite of the test team.

The crisp, high-contrast image produced by the bino is as sharp as its external appearance. The Noctivid won our resolution test and received the top score in the image-*quality category. As one tester noted, ā€œThe image is more three-*dimensional than Iā€™m used to seeing through a binocular.ā€

At $2,700, the German-made Leica is pricey, but the quality of the build and the image it produces make this an investment-grade binocular, one that you will get years of enjoyment from before passing it on to the next delighted user.

Attachments

• 506F5FE5-50BA-4F18-895C-203F7C3A4BCA.jpeg
    506F5FE5-50BA-4F18-895C-203F7C3A4BCA.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 201
Another great testament to the 10x42 Nocts, Whilst at the Two Barred Greenish warbler 'Twitch yesterday again the superb optical performance and the Clarity of view were shown at their best, in very poor light conditions, the ease of use and ability to make the view seem super bright, the said Warblers and Firecrests just 'popped'.......just saying

Ratty
The extent of the inability of rubber to return to a previous shape and size following a period of being compressed is called compression set. I would guess the the covers retaining rings do not exert sufficient compression to achieve this because they would be difficult to fit or remove if they did. So my expectation is that these depressions will gradually disappear.

Lee

Almost Sage like - Everything you wrote has indeed come to pass. Those indented divots have plumped back out very nicely. B :)

1. Magnification Purchased (8 or 10): 8x42

2. Months Owned: 11

3. Price Paid: 2120 Euro, christmas rebate

4. Brick and Mortar Purchase Or Internet: Internet

5. Name of Company: ATELIER RIETER GMBH

6. Your Level of Satisfaction With Retailer: 10/10 I love making business with germans. Awesome "Keine problem"-attitude

7. Your Level Of Satisfaction With Your Noctivids (any plans to re-sell): 10/10 Im not selling

8. Were There Any Specific Expectations The Noctivids Failed To Achieve For You: I expected the best and got the best

9. Were There Any Unexpected Ways In Which The Noctivids Exceeded Expectations: The vividness/ aka the "leica-pop" really is amazing.

10. Your Primary Use or Uses: Hunting, leisure birding

11. Warranty Issues or Dissatisfactions With Your Noctivids: Not that im aware of.

12. Are Your Noctivids Now Your Go-To (Primary) Binoculars: Yes, its the only binocular I use.

13. If Your Noctivids Are Now Your Primary, What Binocular(s) Did They Replace: modern Swarovski Habicht 7x42

14. Regarding The Noctivid's Alleged 3D Effect, Does It Really Exist, Or Is It More Likely A Bad Case of Internet Hysteria: The depth of field is quite good, especially for a roof prism binocular. The resolution, contrast, brightness and color fidelity is world class. The Noctivid has no field flattener lens and all these parameters combined makes what I like to call "the leica pop". Its best noticable when viewing objects just a few meters away. I can sometimes experience the alleged 3d effect when I study these objects.

15. What Other Alpha Binoculars Do You Currently Own: None, but I have used Zeiss SF 10x42 alot.

16. Other Comments: I love my Noctivid :)

Good riddance :-O

I've always hated lens covers. I refuse to use them and not surprisingly to me, never needed them. All good bins these days have scratch resistant coatings and, if one takes just a bit of care, the lenses never make contact with anything inadvertently.

I'm feeling some love toward a pair of Noctivids lately. I never thought I'd consider ponying up the kind go dough these require but they are a beautiful piece of equipment.

Many years ago my Mrs used to call me Trooubadour for reasons best not delved into on here. When choosing a name for use here i decided to change the spelling to Troubador in order that I could call my Mrs Troubadoris, Doris being an old fashioned and humorous kind of name and one which frequently crops up as part of the scientific names of the nudibranch molluscs that interest us. ...

Lee

Beautiful critters, many of these, as Chromodoris or the "White Knight" Doris odhneri (Nils Odhner is known to Cocco as the latter is an old friend of the Pisidium clams, also known as 'sand'). So await the pop-up of the taxon Troubadoris leei nov. gen nov. spec. in some malacological paper soon. ...

Cheers - Cocco (happily off topic)

I've always hated lens covers. I refuse to use them and not surprisingly to me, never needed them. All good bins these days have scratch resistant coatings and, if one takes just a bit of care, the lenses never make contact with anything inadvertently.

I'm feeling some love toward a pair of Noctivids lately. I never thought I'd consider ponying up the kind go dough these require but they are a beautiful piece of equipment.

I only put mine one when the glasses are not around my neck. I don't want them on otherwise.

The rain/spit guard is on whenever they are not up to my eyes.

Had a chance to use my Noctivids in sub-zero bitter cold, Novokuznetsk, and maybe the hinges stiffened up a little, but the focus wheel functioned as normal.

Attachments

• IMG_5188.jpg
    IMG_5188.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_5065.jpg
    IMG_5065.jpg
    758.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I took my 10x42 Noctivid to Cabelaā€™s today to compare to the 10x42 Swarovision and Zeiss SF 10x42. The more I use my Noctivid the more I appreciate it. It has a way of showing the smallest details with such ease and comfort that the other binoculars canā€™t quite match. I think it has to do with the exceptional 3D quality it has. The brightness, transparency, and vivid colors is also a step above the other two binoculars to me. The difference is kinda like looking through your car window and than rolling it down. Just thought I would share how much I like mine and it is a binocular that the more you use it the more you will appreciate it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back