• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Kos (2 Viewers)

I had two days of birding, cycling and hiking around Kos Island during our one-week family vacation, September 3-10. We stayed at a hotel in the Psalidi area, near Kos. I visited lake Tigaki - thanks again, Stuart, for your valuable company ! - and hiked to Mt. Dikeos starting from Old Pili. My list is not by far as rich as Waccoe's, but hey, I was in September :D Here's what I saw:

At lake Tigaki:

Grey Heron
Little Egret
Yellow-legged Gull
Kentish Plover
Little Ringed Plover
Ringed Plover
Stone Curlew - around 100, at exactly the same spot mentioned by Waccoe; no Spur-winged Lapwing though :(
Curlew Sandpiper
Little Stint
Dunlin
Curlew
Ruff
Common Redshank
Green Redshank
Marsh Sandpiper
Turtle Dove
Collared Dove
White Wagtail
Yellow Wagtail
Red-backed shrike
Zitting Cisticola
Crested Lark

At Old Pili and up to Dikeos:

Long-legged Buzzard
Bee-eater
Raven
Coal Tit
Oriole
Sardinian Warbler (this one in fact a little before getting to the Old Pili parking)
Chaffinch
Spotted Flycatcher
Common Wheater

Around Kos and Psalidi:

Hoopoe
Rock Pigeon
Common Swift
Little Owl
Everywhere:
Swallows, Jackdaws, Magpies, Hooded Crows, Sparrows.

Plus two observations which I consider to be uncertain: possible Chukars near Old Pili, seen for a very brief moment (rather likely, judging from Waccoe's report; other possibility - Grey Partridge) and a Kestrel for which I cannot give a positive ID based on the very distant shots I took and on the bird's posture. If you think you can tell Common from Lesser based on this picture, go ahead.

Some herp observations:

Balkan Green Lizard
Stellion
Snake-eyed lizard
European Legless Lizard
Spur-thighed Tortoise

Other impressions here:
http://florinsadventours.blogspot.com/2010/09/to-dikeos.html
http://florinsadventours.blogspot.com/2010/09/birding-at-tigaki.html

Attachments

• IMG_1292.jpg
    IMG_1292.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back