• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glanville Fritillary RFI (1 Viewer)

Phil Carter

I'll be having a couple of days in Ventnor IOW next week. Does anyone have any up to date info that'll give me the best chance of catching up with Glanville Fritillary? Ideally as close to Ventnor as possible as, although I'll have a car, I'd rather have a couple of days of no driving at all if possible.
Thanks in advance
Phil

Hi Phil,

Assuming the weather holds, you should be okay. There has already been one reported sighting and Butterfly Conservation Hampshire and Isle of Wight will give you location details of the Wheelers Bay/ Horseshoe Bay site which you can explore from Ventnor on foot.

Good luck.

Dave W

Hi Phil,

Assuming the weather holds, you should be okay. There has already been one reported sighting and Butterfly Conservation Hampshire and Isle of Wight will give you location details of the Wheelers Bay/ Horseshoe Bay site which you can explore from Ventnor on foot.

Good luck.

Dave W

Thanks Dave. The weather looks as though it may be my biggest problem but at least I know where to look now. Will report back next week.

Phil

After an aborted attempt in pretty poor weather at Wheelers Bay, I got a tip-off about a place called Shepherds Chine, a few miles along the coast where up to 500 had been seen the week before. My self-imposed driving ban was forgotten (tbh my wife had overruled it anyway) and at the first hint of sunshine, I made a detour to the above mentioned Chine. Long story short, saw a few dozen of the little beauties, a life-long ambition fulfilled.
As an added bonus we had a Wall Lizard visit us in our apartment'sā€‹ bedroom in Ventnor!
Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back