• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June moths (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I had a garden first last night - grass rivulet unless I'm very much mistaken.
Generally quiet though.
Not the greatest pic but I couldn't get the subject to cooperate.
Ken

Attachments

• grass rivulet ex 2017-06-03 18.15.56 (800).jpg
    grass rivulet ex 2017-06-03 18.15.56 (800).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 113
Had my first Grass Rivulet a couple of weeks ago Ken. Always nice to see a new macro species.

June has carried on where May left off, moth numbers way above what I would normally expect. I've recorded c.150 species so far this year as opposed to c.50 by this date last year. I'm sure that they are all just early and that at the end of the year my garden species list will be similar to previous years but remarkable nonetheless.

Not much in and around the trap last night/am (NE.London), excepting for this superb ''lifer'' Lilac Beauty!...perhaps a little early for this species late June being the norm?

Attachments

• P1510446.jpeg  Lilac Beauty.jpg
    P1510446.jpeg Lilac Beauty.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 112
Not much in and around the trap last night/am (NE.London), excepting for this superb ''lifer'' Lilac Beauty!...perhaps a little early for this species late June being the norm?
Hi Ken
Hants Moths gives late May as the start of the flight period and one would expect London to be a little earlier, given its micro-climate.
Martin

A smart Jersey Tiger today in south west London this afternoon. I accidentally disturbed it from a shrub- splendid in flight + then settled on a nearby wall. One of our most beautiful moths + one definitely increasing around London.

Visited Chobham Common today where I saw several Brown Silver-lines, male Four-dotted Footman + a male + female Clouded Buff seen separately,

Not much to report so far...apart from my now perennial D.perspectalis, which arrived overnight on Friday, with two more last night, believe these are my earliest in N.E.London by a week compared to previous years.

Cheers

Not much to report so far...apart from my now perennial D.perspectalis, which arrived overnight on Friday, with two more last night, believe these are my earliest in N.E.London by a week compared to previous years.

Cheers

Now Cydalima perspectalis.- found a dead one last Sunday in a spider web by the Regent's Canal in a spider web, had a live one in nettles by Barnes Pond last Wednesday + ironically one flew out of a plastic box spiral in Westminster on Friday.

Today smartest moth from a trap in Perivale was Green Silver-lines.

As with last year, time is proving in pretty short order but a few bits that have been my highlights of recent weeks - all courtesy of a more active friend. The first is a bred Moraphaga choragella - it emerged from some bracket fungus that had been collected to look for beetles. The second and third are Chrysoclista linnella beaten from a lime whilst looking for beetles and bugs. The fourth and fifth are Yellow-legged Clearwing which landed next to the observer whilst he was searching bracket fungus at the foot of an oak. I introduced it to an African Marigold which it explored for a while before heading back off to explore! All are from Leigh Woods near Bristol.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• A Moraphaga choragella (Leigh Woods).jpg
    A Moraphaga choragella (Leigh Woods).jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 92
  • B Chrysoclista linneella (Leigh Woods).jpg
    B Chrysoclista linneella (Leigh Woods).jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 83
  • C Chrysoclista linneella (Leigh Woods).jpg
    C Chrysoclista linneella (Leigh Woods).jpg
    623 KB · Views: 83
  • D Yellow-winged Clearwing.jpg
    D Yellow-winged Clearwing.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 95
  • E Yellow-winged Clearwing 01.jpg
    E Yellow-winged Clearwing 01.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 88
From Norfolk garden last night with a 15W Actinic:

-Chrysoteuchia culmella: 1
-Small Magpie: 1
-Common Footman: 6
-Elephant HM: 3
-Small Elephant HM: 1
-Small Rivulet: 1
-Dark Arches: 1
-Large Yellow Underwing: 1
-Heart & Dart: 3
-Heart & Club: 3
-Flame: 1
-Dot Moth: 1
-Shoulder-striped Wainscot: 1
-Double Square-spot: 1
-Small Bloodvein: 1
-Endotricha flammealis: 1
-Crambus pascuella: 1
-Uncertain: 1

Pics of two of three lifers: Small BV and Small Rivulet (with Dot Moth being the other).

Attachments

• 20170626_075208.jpg
    20170626_075208.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 87
  • 20170626_075352.jpg
    20170626_075352.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 78
As with last year, time is proving in pretty short order but a few bits that have been my highlights of recent weeks - all courtesy of a more active friend. The first is a bred Moraphaga choragella - it emerged from some bracket fungus that had been collected to look for beetles. The second and third are Chrysoclista linnella beaten from a lime whilst looking for beetles and bugs. The fourth and fifth are Yellow-legged Clearwing which landed next to the observer whilst he was searching bracket fungus at the foot of an oak. I introduced it to an African Marigold which it explored for a while before heading back off to explore! All are from Leigh Woods near Bristol.

All the best

Paul

Amazingly clear clear-wing shots! The only species of clear-wing I've ever seen.
I'm impressed that you have time for moths with the amount of searching for birds (and following others' exploits) that you do! :-O
Ken

Glos 27th

Glos 27th June
Good night last night. 64 sps and 478 moths.

Blackneck
Reddish Light Arches
Double Square-spot
Lychnis
Green Oak Tortrix
Beautiful Hook-tip
Lunar-spotted Pinion
Bright-line Brown-eye
Brown-line Bright-eye
Shoulder-striped Wainscot
The Clay
Leopard Moth
Double-lobed Apamea
Hawthorn Cosmet
Marbled Bell
Garden Rose Tortrix
Chinese Character
Large Wainscot

Could do with a few migrants

Metalampra italica

Lifer for me today hiding out of the rain in the work bike shed!

Metalampra italica

robhope

Attachments

• Metalampra italica.JPG
    Metalampra italica.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 86
  • Metalampra italica2.JPG
    Metalampra italica2.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 80
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back