• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (25 Viewers)

Visited Fairburn Ings again today, quite busy with a lot of screaming kids but managed to see plenty including Spoonbills, Little owl and this lovely Lady who has been here for 10 days now.

Attachments

• osprey1.JPG
    osprey1.JPG
    617.4 KB · Views: 142
Goldfinches
Has anyone else noticed a proliferation of goldfinches just recently? This morning I counted 10 on my feeders, with more in the trees close by. And yet I only have a single scruffy female greenfinch, with no male apparent. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had this. Thanks. Tom

Goldfinches
Has anyone else noticed a proliferation of goldfinches just recently? This morning I counted 10 on my feeders, with more in the trees close by. And yet I only have a single scruffy female greenfinch, with no male apparent. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had this. Thanks. Tom

There was a massive movement at Spurn on Saturday when over 5000 went through.

For years had Greenfinches in the street, and early summer 4 males and 2 females more or less resident in tree we hang the birdfeeders in. Have not seen or heard any since mid August.

No increase in Goldfinch here, steady numbers of around 15 or so month in month out hanging out in Burley Park and the street. On Sept 25th I did see large number in a big mixed flock on Leeds Country Way north of Eccup reservoir. What we have had past week is around ten Blackbirds turn up.

I get around 25-30 goldfinches on the feeders as soon as i put out the sunflower hearts. I have seen a huge increase yet a decrease in the greenfinches.

Short-Eared Owls
I would dearly love to photograph SEO's as I've never managed to achieve this yet. Does anyone know of any fairly reliable locations for seeing them? I live in Shipley but I do drive so reasonable distance isn't a problem. If publicising locations is a cause for concern, I'd be very grateful if you could PM me. Thanks in advance. Tom

They are being seen reasonably regularly at St Aidan's - over the ridge and furrow. Close to M62 take the Ferrybridge exit and go North on the old A1 - now the A162. Take the turn off for Fairburn Ings RSPB. Go straight past the reserve and at the enxt set of traffic lights - straight over and at the next roundabout bear right to go through Allerton Bywater, follow the road here until you get to a T junction by the working men's club, Chinese takeaway on the corner, take the left turn here and with in 400 yards you wiull see St Aidan's entrance.
Flamboro usually gets a few over the winter but they tend to come in late afternoon.

Last edited:
Hi - Advice needed on a good place to spend a day birding on a rare day away from family and work duties this coming Tuesday. I'm in Penistone and am inclined towards something coastal though winds look unpromising westerly in the forecast.

Any thoughts?

Day out at Spurn.

Had a nice day out at Spurn on Sunday, strong North winds, looked out to sea for a Little auk but I did not see any of the 30 reported to have passed, but the waves were quite big and all birds passing were now you see me now you don't. Attached are some of my record pictures from the day.
Regards
Mark.

Attachments

• Black_Redstart_Spurn_Oct17.jpg
    Black_Redstart_Spurn_Oct17.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Brent_Geese_Spurm_Oct17.jpg
    Brent_Geese_Spurm_Oct17.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 83
  • Little_Stint_Spurn_Oct17.jpg
    Little_Stint_Spurn_Oct17.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 89
Thanks Mark. Lovely pics. It'll be Spurn or Flamborough for me tomorrow though conditions don't look great for anything spectacular. But anything can happen in either place so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Hawfinches in Parlington park

It's been a long time since there were any reliable sites to see Hawfinch in the Leeds area but there have been at least 6 birds around the gamekeepers cottage in Parlington park over the last two days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back