• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some mediocre pictures of what I saw today (1 Viewer)

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Supporter
Scotland
Had a pleasant enough day around the Ythan Estuary, taking pictures, looking for (mostly unsuccessfully) for migrants. Then suddenly, late in the afternoon, it looked as if all those years of looking through Golden Plover flocks finally paid off. Hope it sticks around so a few more people can see it.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Attachments

• AGP2310a1.jpg
    AGP2310a1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 249
  • AGP2310b1.jpg
    AGP2310b1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 213
  • AGP2310c1.jpg
    AGP2310c1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 197
Not being funny, but as someone new to this, what is it please? I've heard birders talking about scanning flocks of Golden Plovers for the American version. Is this what you're talking about? Thanks.

Hi Level Seven,

Yes it's an American Golden Plover. It's the rather greyish and dark-crowned bird in the middle. I reckon it's an adult (and so did the other birder who managed to see it). Don't know how useful the photos are for this but it looked quite patchy on the coverts - some greyish feathers, some much darker. Anyone any views on this?

Andrew Whitehouse said:
Hi Level Seven,

Yes it's an American Golden Plover. It's the rather greyish and dark-crowned bird in the middle. I reckon it's an adult (and so did the other birder who managed to see it). Don't know how useful the photos are for this but it looked quite patchy on the coverts - some greyish feathers, some much darker. Anyone any views on this?
Thanks Andrew. I'll start scanning flocks myself, but as it's taken someone as experienced as you years to find one, I'll not be holding my breath!

Excellent stuff .... i was lucky enough to see one last year on Breydon, but picking one out yourself ... wow

Several have been seen here at the Hodbarrow reserve recently.Apparently it is a stopping off point on their way to Scotland.

Nice 1 Andrew,

I've spent many a happy hour scanning through flocks too...
..someone else always finds the AM Gold or the Dotterel though!!
Won't stop me trying though..;)

Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back