• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (4 Viewers)

Five Kingfisher Sunday

Had just started breaking down the scope on tripod at Lower Bittell - 7 pm.with face almost on hedge when a KING shot up and over the hedge - almost taking my right ear with it....lol....then it went into low tree and instantly started fishing....brill end to fab day on the causeway....

Nice one Keith!
I was busy this morning on the blue bridge of the Bourn Brook, looking and listening to a Blackcap, warbling away to my side, when I heard the distinctive call of a Kingfisher heading towards me. I turned my head and the Kingfisher was coming straight for me head on. Then it went up and over my head and I saw the blue and green colours as I tilted my head back to watch it go over. Cracking!
Then as I walked further along I saw two Kingfisher checking out high tree perches over the brook. At one spot I was looking and a hidden Kingfisher appeared and moved a few trees away from me. Then whilst walking along I heard another one calling so stopped and it stopped right by me in a tree. The water must be clear enough that they sit higher up in the trees.
Then I saw a pair of Goldfinch. Then I heard a very simple, distinctive call that I'd never heard before. It was a Nuthatch just over my head and it flew closer to another tree beside me. As on the River Cole, I'd never seen a Nuthatch on my travels except for in my back garden. Lol.

On the River Rea, straight away I heard the call of a Kingfisher but I didn't see it and I didn't know which way it flew off. Anyway whilst looking for it, there were Blackcaps warbling away, a pair of Chaffinch, a pair of Bullfinch, a Heron went over and finally the Kingfisher flew back down the river. I could see it flying low in the distance above the river. Then it did a u turn in the trees.
As on the other thread, a pair of Kingfisher on the Cole. Great!

Sixth Kingfisher for the day on the River Tame under Spaghetti Junction. It flew up the river, never seen one disappear that way, it could be where the Rea meets the Tame. Also a pair of Grey Wagtail and a Heron. Great!

Willow Warblers, Chaffinch, Black Caps, Goldfinch, A Heron and Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook Walkway. Several Minnow and small Bullhead fish in the clear brook. Great!

Great early morning run on the Dingles/Wonders Walk/John Morris Jones, so many Songbirds on the path. Several Chaffinch, a very loud Song Thrush drowned the sound of the Kingfisher calling on the river. Then on my way back the Kingfisher stopped right next to me on a river perch. Great!

Early morning on the River Cole, just before Babbs Mill lake, a Jay, Little Egret and a Kingfisher where I got a photo once and another by the footbridge where I used to see them about five years ago.
This afternoon on the Bourn Brook, the Kingfisher had caught a fish by the blue bridge and was stunning it on a branch, it took anther two dives but it didn't catch anything. It then flew off. Great!

Bourn Brook walkway this morning; three Male Bullfinch in three locations, a very light coloured Buzzard on the ground. I could not find the Kingfisher initially but then found it by the Harbourne Lane bridge. Great!

Male redstart

Beautiful male redstart just of the bourn walkway at 1pm.
When you come to the boulder with the footprint inscription.
Look straight over to the reeds and you will see the grass mound separating the redbed. He was favouring this patch.
Best to go over to the redbed area. Come off bourn brook at the new bypass (A38) over the bridge and pass the pylon to the redbeds. Hopefully he hang around for the rest of the day.

After the Redstart....no sign...yet.
I am by pylon with pallets and reeds in front of me...
Male King in usual tree before pipes....Grey Wag underneath him with fighting Moorhens disturbing the peace.

Thank you ouzel 68. .for going out your way to meet up and locate the Redstart...and also good to meet Jason again...we all saw the Redstart fleetingly and I stayed a while and it showed again but I only got a couple of high iso I.D. shots but a brilliant bird....I have never visited here and spotted the sun so far...lol.
Also had a Green Woodpecker call a few times...one of the few birds I can hear.

Just had a walk to look around the site and the Redstart was at far side by the fence at the allotments. ..just chased off by a Robin.

Last edited:
The Redstart was back in its original place when I left around 5.45 pm....
I had what I am saying was a REED WARBLER ,,,but not confirmed as I only had a fleeting glimpse - it could have been a Garden warbler !!
also...
Dunnock
Blue Tit
Great Tit
LT Tit
Kingfisher
Grey Wagtail
Blackcap
Heron
Moorhen
Green Woodpecker -heard 3 times
Blackbird
Wren
Goldfinch
Pheasant - Heard
Crow
Gulls...???...over the road on the "lakes" ..lol

Attachments

• aa 1_filtered.jpg
    aa 1_filtered.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 28
  • aa 2_filtered.jpg
    aa 2_filtered.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 28
  • aa 3_filtered.jpg
    aa 3_filtered.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 26
  • aa 4_filtered.jpg
    aa 4_filtered.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 26
  • aa 5_filtered.jpg
    aa 5_filtered.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 30
...and...

Attachments

• aa 6_filtered.jpg
    aa 6_filtered.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 29
  • aa 7_filtered.jpg
    aa 7_filtered.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 28
  • aa 8_filtered.jpg
    aa 8_filtered.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 39
  • aa 9_filtered.jpg
    aa 9_filtered.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 41
  • aa 10_filtered.jpg
    aa 10_filtered.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 50
Nice one keith!
Well done on the capture of the redstart.

Yes great photo Keith! Thanks Ouzel for the find!
I'll have a look again over this weekend. On a quick visit I just seen the Kingfisher fly past.
The brook water is so clear I can see three types of fish now, I'm assuming the latest is stickleback. Great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back