• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kate Humble Leaving Springwatch (1 Viewer)

Baker is excellent, a very under-used presenter. He is clear, authoritative, informed, and is not an overbearing screen-hogger. I like Packham a lot on Springwatch, but Baker could be better. Although a lack of antics and japery might be seen as a bit dull. Here's an idea, replace Martin with Nick Baker? Martin's ok, but he doesn't seem to know very much.

I will miss Humble, as she was ideal as the 'everyman/woman' asking the questions on behalf of the public. Strachan, sadly, is very poor and seems out of place to me. Alice Roberts or Charlotte Uhlenbroek could be good, but I expect they are overqualified and would not be keen.

I do wonder if Humble leaving will kill the dynamic, and spell the end for Spring/Autumnwatch? Viewng figures seem quite high still, but I for one find it harder each year to get enthused about the same badgers, red deer, foxes, nestbox birds etc. They do seem to have been almost everywhere now, and look at almost everything.

I agree except Martin also has a degree in Zoology so he's not as dense as he likes us to think he is.

Maybe but also I don't think his EGO is as big as CP's. I think Martin is in CP's shadow but actually has a lot to offer if only he was given the chance.

Maybe but also I don't think his EGO is as big as CP's. I think Martin is in CP's shadow but actually has a lot to offer if only he was given the chance.

I didn't know Martin had a zoology degree (a First from Reading too, not bad at all), but I've been surprised at the times he's mentioned very common species which he's seeing for the first time on the show. Sounds like he's not much of a 'field' person, and doesn't seem very familiar with wildlife (a Zoology degree wont necessarily give you that in itself). Compared to, say, Packham or Baker who spend lots of time in the field (or have done).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back