• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colonel Boris' scruffy old sketchpad. (1 Viewer)

Here's something silly for a change. Apparently, my workmates think I'm an artist based on pen doodles made during group meetings. If my boss wasn't glued to his iphone, I'd probably get into trouble for these...

Attachments

• lobster_mishap.jpg
    lobster_mishap.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 61
Here's something silly for a change. Apparently, my workmates think I'm an artist based on pen doodles made during group meetings. If my boss wasn't glued to his iphone, I'd probably get into trouble for these...

Always the sign of a lively imagination I'd say. Doodling never gets the credit it deserves!

Hopefully have another batch of drawings by the weekend to add. On a flight to Perth I found I'd forgotten my book, but still had pencil and paper handy, so I decided to try sketching people and trawled through the in-flight magazine for the most attractive woman in there. These are the second and third time I've tried drawing people (and without tracing the outline for change!).

Attachments

• inflight_1_800.jpg
    inflight_1_800.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 70
  • inflight_2_800.jpg
    inflight_2_800.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 77
Lovely drawings Tony - showing a fine repertoire in the last couple of posts. Pencil and paper - it's all you need really, isn't it.

Thanks Tim, Bigshent and Oivind! Some rather odd drawings on the board at the moment involving four hard-to-find birds, an alarm clock and an 80s TV show. I'm rather enjoying drawing for this magazine!

Originally, I believe it was supposed to be an alluring pose (in order to sell A$3,500 dresses, no less), but my rendering of it does look a little less savoury...

Here's two sketches for an article: the first is on when birds don't follow what advice you've been given i.e. if you're not the first birder at Barren Grounds that day, you won't see the Ground Parrots, although Ed saw them at lunch time, in the car park. The second is from the same trip, based on the theme "I love it when a plan comes together" with the four target species.
I do get to draw some odd things with these articles...

Attachments

• snooze_1_800.jpg
    snooze_1_800.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 73
  • a-team_800.jpg
    a-team_800.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 88
Ha Ha! Whatever happened to the A team? Every week there were bullets, explosions, car wrecks and nobody ever got seriously hurt! Mike

Ha Ha! Whatever happened to the A team? Every week there were bullets, explosions, car wrecks and nobody ever got seriously hurt! Mike

Communism had nothing to fear from them. I often wonder if the crime they didn't commit was something to do with deliberately not hitting the enemy...
One more to draw on a rather sticky subject that will no doubt involve drawing people, which will be a first for this series of articles.

Brilliant, I do love the 'chav robin type thing'.

Chav?! That's supposed to be Murdoch from the A-Team! Compare and contrast, you philistine:
http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/images/7/2010/01/the-a-team.jpg
The article it's for is about making a detailed plan to see a set of birds (Beautiful Firetail, Pilotbird, Eastern Bristlebird and Eastern Ground Parrot) and how even if the birds don't do as everyone tells you, it's still great "when a plan comes together" (hence the A-Team theme).
Current lore is that if you're not the first person at Barren Grounds in the morning, you don't get to see the Ground Parrots and that Beautiful Firetails are hard to see, but Ed lost count of the firetails and saw the two Ground Parrots at lunch time (in the car park, no less).
The article's much better than I'm describing it...

My only A team experience was having the helicopter toy, which was confiscated when I made it 'fly' at a window. I imagine I was about five, but could have been eighteen. Ground parrots remind me of the little bitterns I saw this year, two dawn visits (in June!) and I finally see at least two at around 10am. Could have stayed in bed an extra 5 hours!

This is for an article about taking birding far too seriously. A visiting birder on a pelagic got rather upset that the skipper took the ship to look at some whales and while a pair of snorkellers were in the water inspecting the whales for some research, he started shovelling burley and blood over the side. Off the coast at Sydney, you can get Bull Sharks and they're not at all fussy about what they eat. Naturally, the locals told him in no uncertain terms how dangerous that was, but he didn't care - he was only there to see the birds...
The editor's gone for this article over the other one with the A-Team/snoozing parrot.

Attachments

• fin_1_800.jpg
    fin_1_800.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 74
Ha!! Great stuff. Engaging sense of humour those antipodeans possess, no? Good to see the birder had buoyant bins with him - at least they survived . . .

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back