• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When to put my feeders back out? (1 Viewer)

InfernoOrangeSS

Veritas Aequitas
I had amazing success with 2 hummingbird feeders last year, which actually spurred my attention to several feeders due to my daughter having a great time watching birds on our back porch. I took them down when I went 4 weeks with no activity, which I assumed was due to migration and them leaving our area. I was wondering, when would be an advantageous time to put them back out. I want to encourage them back to my yard as at times we had swarms of them here. I live in the southeast of the U.S.A., particularly in North Central Alabama.
I want to help our my winged friends, and get them back where my daughter can again marvel at nature and her bird friends.
Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

I had amazing success with 2 hummingbird feeders last year, which actually spurred my attention to several feeders due to my daughter having a great time watching birds on our back porch. I took them down when I went 4 weeks with no activity, which I assumed was due to migration and them leaving our area. I was wondering, when would be an advantageous time to put them back out. I want to encourage them back to my yard as at times we had swarms of them here. I live in the southeast of the U.S.A., particularly in North Central Alabama.
I want to help our my winged friends, and get them back where my daughter can again marvel at nature and her bird friends.
Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

I see no problem with putting them back out now. You look like your getting spring type weather with rain but not too cold. Sometimes it takes awhile for the little hummers to come back. Just be patient and they will come ;)

I leave one feeder up year round. There have been lots of sightings of western species in the South in the winter months. I haven' seen one at my feeder in the winter yet, but one day maybe.

It's like "Field of Dreams" for hummers. Put up a feeder with a small amount of nectar and keep an eye on it. Make sure you change the nectar out every 3-4 days, whether you see hummers or not. When the hummers are back in your area, they WILL find your feeder. Then add your other feeders one by one, again keeping nectar levels low until you're getting a good crowd of hummers.
I always monitor how much nectar the birds are going through in each feeder over each 3-day period and refill at that same level until it's clear they need more. Keeps from wasting nectar.

I never had much success with hummingbird feeders but I was surprised that they are attracted to painted nettle. last year I had it in a pot on my patio and it got the attention of one hummer that really seemed to like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back