• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Veagle's 2010 Year List (1 Viewer)

Back in South Dakota, I had the chance today after work to drive out to Sevey's Lake and Veith Dam, in Meade County. Lots of waterfowl in both areas, including two new year birds. Also saw the nesting Great Horned Owl that's been there for a month or so. And the Western Meadowlarks are back.

March 26 - Sevey's Lake and Vieth Dam, Meade County, SD

157. Canvasback
158. Green-winged Teal

My wife and I are in Salt Lake City for a long weekend of skiing. Didn't even bring binoculars, but yesterday at the top of the Collins chairlift at Alta, we saw a pair of Pine Grosbeaks, along with a bunch of Black-capped Chickadees at a feeder put up by the Ski Patrol. I really wish I had the binocs, as the legs are not what they used to be, and I could have spent some time this afternoon at Antelope Island finding a Chukar. Oh well, maybe next time.

April 2, Alta Ski Resort, Utah

159. Pine Grosbeak

Last edited:
Our last day skiing, again at Alta. Epic powder snow, an unforgettable day. And to top things off, at the same mountain-top feeder, saw the Pine Grosbeaks again, as well as:

April 4 - Alta Ski Resort, Utah

160. Black Rosy-Finch

April 4 - Sandy, Utah

161. California Gull

Last edited:
Got a call from my friend Jocie Baker about two Trumpeter Swans that had showed up at Sevey's Lake, out on the prairie. She has birded this area for 40 years, and never seen them here before. A new state bird for me. Also spotted my first Cormorant of the year for South Dakota.

April 9 - Sevey's Lake, SD

162. Trumpeter Swan

Went out to Butte County, north of Belle Fourche, SD at dawn with a group of 10 people to try to find Greater Sage-Grouse on the lek. We found it with little trouble, and had good, if distant views of 11 Greater Sage-Grouse, including 6 males displaying. It was really quite the experience.

April 10 - Butte County, SD

163. Greater Sage-GrouseB :)

Attachments

• IMG_0339 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0339 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    150 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0341 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0341 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 89
Went out to the Big Horn Sheep Preserve south of Rapid City this morning to go for a walk, but realized there were hunters out. We did get to see some Gray Jays, and Mountain Bluebirds. Then drove out to Sevey's Lake, where it was extremely windy but found a foy Blue-winged Teal (in SD), and a solitary Long-billed Curlew.

April 11 - Pennington County, SD

164. Gray Jay

April 11 - Sevey's Lake, SD

165. Long-billed Curlew

Went out to Sevey's Lake before work yesterday, as American Avocet had been seen there recently. Didn't find them, and didn't have my scope with me, but did get a couple of looks at Vesper Sparrows, which although common here, are a little early.

After several days discussion with various people, I am adding Peregrine Falcon to the list. My first instinct was Peregrine, but I wasn't sure if they had been seen in this area, so I discussed it with a couple of friends, one of whom saw what was likely the same bird a few miles away a day or two later.

April 13 - Meade County, SD

166. Peregrine Falcon

April 13 - Sevey's Lake, SD

167. Vesper Sparrow

Last edited:
Returned to Sevey's Lake this morning, this time with a scope for a quick scan. Still no Avocets, but a good group of waterfowl, including Double-crested Cormorants, Ruddy Ducks, Green- and Blue-winged Teal,and all the usuals. Also saw some Tree Swallows here for the first time this year, as well as:

April 15 - Sevey's Lake, SD

168. Franklin's Gulls

Last edited:
I got a call today from a friend who had seen Cinnamon Teal at Sevey's Lake, so I couldn't resist another drive out there. Sure enough, a pair of these relatively rare birds was minding their own business along the northern shore. Too far for a photo, but got good scope views. And another FOY bird as well, a brilliant Horned Grebe. I first id this as a more common Eared Grebe, but our friends on the ID section quickly confirmed it as Horned.

April 16 - Sevey's Lake, SD

169. Horned Grebe (picture below)
170. Cinnamon Teal

Attachments

• IMG_0346_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0346_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Took a drive yesterday out to a few locations in Pennington County. On Hammerquist Rd., I heard and saw a group of Wilson's Snipe, and then further east found a single Chestnut-collared Longspur. One other highlight was a Great-blue Heron rookery with 19 Herons on nests. And there was one as-yet unidentified Flycatcher, that I'm still working on.

April 17 - Pennington County, SD

171. Wilson's Snipe
172. Chestnut-collared Longspur

Yesterday morning I returned to Hammerquist Rd., to try to relocate a flycatcher that I saw on Saturday, but could not identify. Unsuccessful on that front, I did get good looks at a pair of Eastern Phoebes, and at another location, after getting into a stare-down with an antelope, I did find another Chestnut-collared Longspur.

Next week I will travel to NJ to visit family, AND to spend a full day in and around Cape May. Should be good!

April 18 - Pennington County, SD

173. Eastern Phoebe

Attachments

• IMG_0353_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0353_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0351_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0351_edited [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
A grey overcast morning, I decided to swing by Sevey's Lake before work, as on sunny days the light is not very good early. A fairly nice selection of waterfowl, includding quite a few Ruddy Ducks, and Blue-Winged Teal. A few Tree Swallows flying about, and a nice pair of Marbled Godwits. Also had a couple of FOYs. Almost ran into a Sharp-tailed grouse on my way out.

April 20 - Sevey's Lake, SD

174. American Avocet
175. Brewer's Blackbird

Getting my newspaper this morning, I heard something different, and quickly located our first Spotted Towhee of the season. I've been feeling guilty about using as much gasoline to get around in my birding, so it was nice to see a FOY without going anywhere.

April 21 - Rapid City, SD

176. Spotted Towhee

Another quick trip to Sevey's Lake this morning. Relocated the Horned Grebe from last week, and saw the first Eared Grebes of the year, along with Ring-billed, and Franklin's Gulls, and a good variety of waterfowl.

April 22 - Sevey's Lake, SD

177. Eared Grebe

Cleaning up my list, I noticed that I had Herring Gull counted twice, and neglected to add Muscovy Duck from my trip last month to Florida. So I'll add it here without adding a number, so it should be good.

March 21 - Largo, Florida

177. Muscovy Duck

I'm in New Jersey for a few days, to visit my parents, and then go birding in Cape May with fellow BF member Stephennj. Today was quite rainy. I went out briefly to a local pond, and spotted a Green Heron perched in a tree. What a surprise. Later I took my 90 yr. old dad out to see just what all this fuss was about birdwatching. Got him a good close up look at a Red-Tailed Hawk, then had some good looks at three different swallows.

The weather for tomorrow looks questionable, but Stephennj and I are psyched for Cape May!

April 25 - Oak Tree Pond Park, Edison, NJ

178. Green Heron

April 25 - East Brunswick, NJ

179. Barn Swallow
180. Northern Rough-winged Swallow
181. Chipping Sparrow

Last edited:
The next several entries will be from a daylong visit to Cape May and E.B. Forsythe NWR (Brigantine Unit) with Stephenj from BF, and his dad.

We began the day in Belleplaine State Park in Cape May County, at Sunset Bridge, looking for warblers. The weather was overcast and the lighting therefore was difficult, but we did manage to get a number of nice warblers, including Ovenbird, Yellow-throated, Black-and-White, Pine, and Yellow-rumped. Then we birded toward the Headquarters buiding where we picked up Eastern Phoebe. At Lake Numi, we found Spotted Sandpiper, and my first Ruby-throated Hummingbird. And finally, along Narrows Rd., we got excellent views of a single male Prothonotary Warbler.

April 26 - Belleplaine St. Park, NJ

182. Ovenbird
183. Brown-headed Cowbird
184. Ruby-throated Hummingbird
185. Spotted Sandpiper
186. Prothonotary Warbler

Attachments

• IMG_0355 [].JPG
    IMG_0355 [].JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
From Belleplaine, we drove down the Cape and arrived at Higbee Beach. Apparently there had been a fallout there earlier in the morning, but by the time we arrived, things were pretty quiet. Nevertheless, our highlights included Blue-headed Vireo, a half dozen Hermit Thrush, a Common Yellowthroat, and at the beach itself, some Northern Gannets doing their dives, and three types of Gulls trailing the Ferry on its way to Lewes, DE. I will have to return to this place someday, hopefully in the fall.

April 26 - Higbee Beach, Cape May, NJ

187. Blue-Headed Vireo
188. Hermit Thrush
189. Ruby-crowned Kinglet
190. Great Black-backed Gull
191. Gray Catbird

Last edited:
Our next stop was Cape May Point State Park. Not much activity on the beach, although we did see a Common Loon out on the water and a small group of Palm Warblers at the edge of the parking lot near the beach. Other highlights included great views of Blue-Headed Vireos, a number of Mute Swans, and three Purple Martin "apartments", with lots of occupants. Pictures to follow.

April 26 - Cape May Point State Park, NJ

192. Mute Swan
193. Purple Martin

Attachments

• IMG_0356 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0356 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0360 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0360 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0366 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    IMG_0366 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
    94 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Just up the road from Cape May Point State Park is the Cape May Migratory Bird Refuge, known as the Meadows. It was about 3 pm when we arrived and we still had an hour's drive to Forsyth NWR ahead of us, so we did'nt wast much time - out and back to the Beach, about a third of a mile each way. Great habitat- and the area was quite birdy. Our highlights included a group of Forster's Terns, a variety of waterfowl, including Mute Swans, Blue- and Green-Winged Teal, and several Chimney Swifts darting around above. At the beach we got a quick look at a Piping Plover, which breed here, as well as a group of American Oystercatchers, and spotted several Northern Gannet out over the Bay. As we left the area there was a large Black Vulture perched on a house directly accross the road from the parking lot, and a Glossy Ibis was seen along the road.

April 26 - Cape May Meadows, NJ

194. Piping Plover
195. Chimney Swift

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back